What's new

Red Sox to slash payroll

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
Note JD Martinez can and likely will opt out. Mookie Betts also may have to table those extension talks.

el_gmac

I don't like Mike Hill and Jeter
VIP
Reaction score
fire sale?????? or trade him ?

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
Interesting as they plan to discuss a contract extension with Rafael Devers. I'd like to see what they do with Betts, he made $20m last season and will certainly get more next year, do they keep him this off season and hope Sale and Price get healthy for another playoff run and then lose him to free agency or do they trade him and hope what you get in return is better than the draft picks they'd get otherwise?!? I know they have some money coming off the books with Porcello, Holt, Moreland and Pearce all free agents and pretty sure the Sandoval contract is finally off the ledger too. Also Martinez would be crazy to walk with $23m  next year and another $38m still on the table, but good luck to him if he thinks he can get that somewhere else

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Good luck with that and also winning at the same time with that team.

marlinsmaniac

LumberKing
Reaction score
I’m an avid Sox fan and watched almost every game. The issue this team had this year was the trouble the staff had with pitching “up”. There’s apparently been a concious effort to pitch high in the zone and I don’t think the pitchers were ever truly confident pitching up and would miss the high target ALL the time and those belt high fastballs are getting ripped. Especially Sale, you’re talking about a dude who made his money throwing low fastballs followed by sliders on the back foot that looked like fastballs. You’re changing his entire gameplan and causing him to modify his release point. Christian Vazquez commented that they were doing it too much and teams knew the plan and Cora got upset and said he shouldn’t have said that and that he’d talk to him privately. It’s sad that they wasted what looks like the last year of this great team with this stupid pitching plan cause the offense did a tremendous job. They need to unload Eovaldi and Sale, JD will opt out, and keep Betts at whatever cost!