What's new

Red Soxs bringing Nilsson back to majors

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
ESPN Story

The Red Sox have reached agreement with former major leaguer Dave Nilsson on a contract, according to reports out of Australia.

An Australian native, Nilsson has not played in the majors since the 1999 season when he batted .309 with 21 home runs and 62 RBI in 343 at-bats for the Milwaukee Brewers.

Nilsson, 33, was a target of former Red Sox general manager Dan Duquette two years ago. Boston had an agreement in place with Nilsson before the deal became void when the player failed a physical exam.

"I'm going to give it a bash,'' Nilsson was quoted as saying in Australian publications. "I can't know for sure if I'll stick it out, but I'm going to get a cap and a uniform and see how I go.''

The Red Sox are hoping that Nilsson can fill a first baseman/DH-type role in their lineup.

The Red Sox recently claimed ex-Marlin Kevin Millar off waivers, hoping he could fill that role. However, Millar had already signed a contract with the Chunichi Dragons of the Japanese League. Attempts by the Red Sox to reach a deal with Chunichi have not been successful, so it appears very unlikely Millar will be playing for Boston this year

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope Nilsson does good with them.Damn i havent heard of nilsson for along time!Where has he been.....iv'e heard he has some left handed pop in his bat we can sure use him......

Pudge-7

Muckdog
Reaction score
i think he is a catcher

he is a cather.1b,plays some OF,and also was used as a DH.

i think he had retired. the fish should have made a moved for him.

BTW: is Dubach still a FA?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Nilsson just announced his retirement

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
He retired already he did not even go to camp why did sign with them in the first place anyways?

I guess the fact Millar is going to the Red Sox may have affected his decesion, maybe the marlins could change his mind...

Latest posts

Top Bottom