What's new

Redman Will return Sooner than Expected

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
check it out...i hope he still pitches like he was we need him badly we are in a loosing streak of 4 games.

Redman's return to be sooner than expected

By Joe Capozzi, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

MONTREAL -- Left-hander Mark Redman, out since May 3 with a broken left thumb, is recovering faster than expected and could return to the rotation next weekend.

Redman, who wasn't expected to start again until early June, will work on "thumb therapy" this week in Jupiter and will rejoin the Marlins in Cincinnati this weekend.

If Redman continues progressing, manager Jack McKeon said he hoped to start Redman against the Reds during a three-game series at Pro Player Stadium that starts May 30.

Beckett throws: Right-hander Josh Beckett, on the disabled list since May 9 with what the team has called a right elbow sprain, threw without pain in the outfield for 10 minutes Tuesday.

Beckett said he will throw again today for 10 minutes -- five minutes from 60 feet followed by five minutes at 75 feet.

McKeon said he hopes to have Beckett start within the first 10 days of June.

Asked to define an elbow sprain, a team spokesman, at the direction of team trainer Sean Cunningham, referred questions to Dr. James Andrews' office in Birmingham, Ala. Cunningham wouldn't speak to reporters.

Beckett clarified his injury, saying he sprained the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. Beckett said the ligament was swollen when a magnetic resonance imaging exam was taken during a visit with Andrews on May 8.

A.J. Burnett, who is out 12 to 18 months, underwent reconstructive surgery on his right elbow last month after tearing his ulnar collateral ligament.

Castro finally starts: With Ivan Rodriguez in Puerto Rico on a family matter, catcher Ramon Castro today will make his first start since Sept. 28 against Philadelphia.

Mike Redmond, who started Tuesday, is expected to start Thursday.

Rodriguez's mother-in-law is seriously ill and McKeon isn't sure when Rodriguez will rejoin the team but said "my honest guess is probably in Cincinnati," where Florida begins a three-game series Friday.

Redmond said he and Castro understand their roles as backup catchers.

"It's been my role the whole time as the backup player,'' said Redmond, who has played with Florida since 1998. "This year is the least amount I've ever played, basically one start a week. It's tough. My strength is catching and when I've gotten an opportunity to play, I think I've given us a chance to win."

Link

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Mark Redman, on the DL with a broken thumb, says he's ''ready to rock 'n' roll,'' and wants to start Thursday.Manager Jack McKeon would like to wait until Saturday to use Redman, but the pitcher says that's ''just prolonging things.'' Redman has been throwing all-out recently (against doctor's advice) and reports no discomfort. If Redman pitches Thursday, he'd face the Expos. On Saturday, the Reds. It's probably best to see how he does before using him the following week. Source: Miami Herald

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Mark Redman, on the 15-day DL with a broken thumb, threw a three-inning simulated game Monday.
Redman is being penciled in to start on Friday night.

rotoworld.com

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
Redman may be back in 4-5 day and Josh in like 1 week, cuz i talked to them 2day/

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
He tapped their phones.
LMFAO :lol

Im guessing he went to the game today :rolleyes:

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
i went to the game , and we got in where the fmaily goes... so i got everyone autograph and i talked to every player.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Then you didn't talk to everyone. :mischief
Congrats to you on being there

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
we are playing great lately, and with two of our best pitchers coming off of the dl soon,

all i can say is

YES!!!!!!!!

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Redman is ready to role and is Pain Freeeee......

Posted on Tue, May. 27, 2003

MARLINS NOTEBOOK
Thumbs-up: Redman pain-free
Left-hander might return Friday
By KEVIN BAXTER
kbaxter@herald.com

Left-hander Mark Redman pronounced himself pain-free after throwing 55 pitches in three innings of a simulated game Monday and said he hopes to return as early as Friday night against the Cincinnati Reds.

''The concern was making sure my arm was all right,'' said Redman, who faced live hitters for the first time since breaking his left thumb April 29. ``I don't think the concern was the thumb. That's in the book.''

Pitching coach Wayne Rosenthal, who closely watched Redman's delivery Monday to make sure the pitcher had not altered anything after the long layoff, was pleased with what he saw. But Rosenthal declined to predict when Redman might come off the disabled list.

''We're just going day by day,'' said Rosenthal, who added that Redman would throw again Wednesday before a final determination on Friday's assignment is made.

Right-hander Josh Beckett, who went on the disabled list May 9 with an elbow sprain, also is making progress. Beckett, who threw Monday, is long-tossing from as far as 120 feet two out of every three days and might throw off a mound this week. He's expected back by mid-June.

When Beckett comes back, the Marlins could have a tough decision to make regarding their starters. Left-hander Michael Tejera, 0-3 with a 6.75 ERA in five starts this season, likely will go back to the bullpen when Redman returns. But choosing to move either Dontrelle Willis or Tommy Phelps out of the rotation when Beckett is ready will be more difficult.

Willis pitched eight scoreless innings Sunday, and manager Jack McKeon has said he would oppose the left-hander's return to the minors. Phelps, who picked up his first major-league win Friday, has a 1.21 ERA, and McKeon said he deserves the chance to start as long as he's pitching well.

Link

Top Bottom