What's new

Redmond for Wheeler, revisited

Arnie1941

Muckdog
Reaction score
What the heck. Had some fun a week or so ago by suggesting we trade (my sentimental favorite) catcher Mike Redmond for Met Reliever Dan Wheeler (who made us look foolish for his three innings of relief). The fun was the responses were very pro or very con. A lot depended on whether or not Piazza will be going to first base. All thoughtful and appreciated. Have since done some homework on Wheeler. His stats are not impressive. But, he has shown the capacity to throw three or four innings in relief. Compare that to our relievers who struggle to do one-third of an inning. So I'm hoping we'll see Wheeler in this Mets series. I'm anxious to see if he's for real.

JPierre75sbs

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wheeler has always been not much impressive. hes decent nonetheless. They have Phillips and Piazzas groin wont probably be able to handle catching duties this year. Its too much of a liability. hes going to first.

Phillips did well against the yanks I belive and is their backup for now and catcher for the future for the time being. Phillips also can play first, which is what he is doing now due to vaughns injury and is getting the ABs but he is horrible at first and very sloppy. His glove wasnt even fully broken in lol that the ball popped out.

Mets are going to do some heavy dismantling and rebuilding and it probably doesnt include redmond going there. Why would they get a catcher for 1 mill when they have a young guy there that can do it for 700 k less?

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Mets would never have Redmond. Phillips and McEwing play catcher well and if Piazza decides to stay as catcher they have 3 catchers. They do not need another catcher.

Personally, I don't want anything the Mets have to offer right now. Last night their bullpen blew the lead several times.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
McEwing plays catcher?

dont you mean Vance Wilson?

anyway Justin Huber is their catcher for the future

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Mets dont need a catcher but they do need a hitting Catcher! Vance hasnt hit to good and Piazza is out. Redmond is a real good hitter and can help the mutts though

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Super Joe is thier third string catcher right now, when piazza gets back he goes to fourth string. He is kinda like Biggio.

JPierre75sbs

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Mets dont need a catcher but they do need a hitting Catcher! Vance hasnt hit to good and Piazza is out. Redmond is a real good hitter and can help the mutts though
vance hasnt hit too good??? take a look at his numbers and compare it to other catchers.. he is darn solid.. if you mean that redmond can do better you are way off. infact, wilson has comparable numbers to "all star 10 million man" pudgey

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Vance Wilson has been heralded by Mutts fans because he is providing more offense than piazza did earlier.

JPierre75sbs

Muckdog
Reaction score
lol piazza just started to come around before he got injured.. he was dead for all of april

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
and they have Justin Huber in the minors....he is supposed to be great

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
nothing great yet... AAA i think
Code:
BATTERS               AVG   G  AB   R   H  TB 2B 3B HR RBI SH SF HP  BB IB  SO  SB CS DP   SLG   OBP  
 Huber, Justin        .278  46 169  23  47  82 14  0  7  34  0  2  9  17  0  28   1  1  8  .485  .371

butchy

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think he is playing in the Florida State League. I remember seeing him play against Jupiter last month.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Remember AJ stunk in AA, but has dominated in the Majors.

JPierre75sbs

Muckdog
Reaction score
nothing great yet... AAA i think
Code:
? ? BATTERS ? ? ? ? ? ? ? AVG ? G ?AB ? R ? H ?TB 2B 3B HR RBI SH SF HP ?BB IB ?SO ?SB CS DP ? SLG ? OBP ? ?Huber, Justin ? ? ? ?.278 ?46 169 ?23 ?47 ?82 14 ?0 ?7 ?34 ?0 ?2 ?9 ?17 ?0 ?28 ? 1 ?1 ?8 ?.485 ?.371
decent..for now

Arnie1941

Muckdog
Reaction score
Mets dont need a catcher.......
So give them Hollandsworth, Olsen, Michael Tejera (who I really rooted for) and, as a bonus, Vladimer Nunez. Seriously, bottom-line is I want a middle reliever now, not in August. Like to see us get gutsy and aggressive. Not wait for the fire sales. Just someone who can keep us in the game for three or four innings.

JPierre75sbs

Muckdog
Reaction score
are you crazy.. thats not a good deal. tejera can be as good as wheeler. .wheels aint too much of quality.. they dont want overpaid scrubs either in nunez and TH... they need to strengthen their MLB club.. not AAA team

Arnie1941

Muckdog
Reaction score
are you crazy.. thats not a good deal. tejera can be as good as wheeler. .wheels aint too much of quality.. they dont want overpaid scrubs either in nunez and TH... they need to strengthen their MLB club.. not AAA team
Sorry you didn't appreciate my humor when I suggested Nunez as "an added bonus." You certainly made a big deal about everything I said before "Seriously, bottom-line..." and you ignored the point I was making thereafter.

Top Bottom