What's new

Reds lock up Arroyo through 2011

savafan

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT04/302080023

The new deal pushes Arroyo's deal to $33.07 million, including the buyout. It pledged $25 million in new money. The deal is an extension of the three-year deal Arroyo signed with Boston Jan. 19 of last year. I

Arroyo's old contract was to pay him $3.8 million this season and $3.95 million in 2008. The extension includes a $2.5 million signing bonus, payable in 2008.

It will pay him $9.5 million in 2009 and $11 million in 2010. The Reds have an option for $11 million in 2011 with a $2 million buyout. The 2011 salary can rise to $13 million based on inning incentives.

Harang will make $4.25 million this season, $6.75 million in ?08, $11 million in ?09 and $12.5 million in ?10. There is a club option for $12.75 million with a $2 million buyout for 2011.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
Best 1-2 punch in the NL (if not baseball) is now locked up for 4 years. I am giddy!

MVPosey

Muckdog
Reaction score
Best 1-2 punch in the NL (if not baseball) is now locked up for 4 years. I am giddy!
Best 1-2 punch in the NL? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
This is a stupid move...a guy has a career year (which is likely a fluke), so you give him a 12.5 million/year extension 2 years before the contract expires?

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score

I would argue the Cubs (Zambrano/Hill), Astros (Oswalt/Jennings, who isn't even that good, but Oswalt is so much better than both that it's a wash), Cardinals (I'll take Carpenter and whoever over Arroyo/Harrang), Dodgers (Schmidt/Lowe or Penny), Padres (Peavy/Bush), and the Marlins easily over the two of them. What a joke.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
Your going a little overboard there aren't you?

rorod

Muckdog
Reaction score
:lol thanks for the laugh

markotsay7

I LOLed.

I'm not a homer and I'm not going to argue for the Marlins (even though I think it's a legitimate argument), but leaving them out of it I could think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head that are better.

Reaction score

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Thats funny....

Harang/ Arroyo...over

Boston Dice K/Shilling/Beckett.
Toronto hallady, burnett..
CHW contreras and buehrle
Min santana and liarno
det bonderman and verlander
laa colon and lackey

national league...way better than arroyo and harang
smoltz and hudson yes they are
pedro and glavine historically and if both healthy...id still take them anyway
johnson and willis yep
carpenter and mulder way better than cinny
zambrano and hill worth the arguement but toss up
sheets and campano id take sheets over arroyo and id take harang over capano so toss up
zito and lowry better, hands down
lowe and schmidt better pitchers than what cinny has
peavy and young is that even a question which 2 are better?

oh and did u forget that arizona has randy johnson, one of the best pitchers ever to play the game and brandon webb at number 2

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

that might be the dumbest thing said in this forums history...

they arent even in the top 5 in NL let alone MLB.

arroyo has had 1 good year, hes done. harang...good, but not worth metioning in the same sentence as todays pitchers (santana, webb, zito, schilling, beckett, etc...)

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
oh and did u forget that arizona has randy johnson, one of the best pitchers ever to play the game and brandon webb at number 2
is RJ gonna be their ace? I wouldn't think so..

Reaction score
if hes not there ace, he is number 2. but either way you look at it...

webb is better than harang
webb is better than arroyo (arroyos a joke)

johnson hell yeah is better than either of them

so webb/johnson are better to have then harang and arroyo

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
is RJ gonna be their ace? I wouldn't think so..
yeah, i doubt it. that would be a slap in the face to the 2006 NL Cy Young winner i'd think.

MVPosey

Muckdog
Reaction score
they are definitely a lower tier 1-2 punch
Hell a lot of teams 2 and 3 pitchers are better than these two

markotsay7

It's already been established that Webb will be the #1 guy.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
NL Ranks

Strikeouts-
Harang 1st (216)
Arroyo 6th (184)

IP-
Arroyo 1st (240.2)
Harang 3rd (234.1)

Wins-
Harang 1st (16)
Arroyo 12th (14)

ERA-
Arroyo 4th (3.29)
Harang 11th (3.76)
(Only SD had 2 in the top 11)

OMG that's so funny calling them the best 1-2 punch in the NL.

Reaction score
dude. they arent the best 1-2 punch. they will never be. they just arent. arroyo had a fluke season and will never repeat. hell, he probablly have more losses than wins each year for the rest of his career. (and he looks like a girl now a days) and harang, he wouldnt be considered a 1 or 2 pitcher on more than half the MLB. they wont repeat the joke that was last season. not this year, not ever. they arent close to being the best 1-2 in MLB. maybe not even in their own state if C.C. and Westbrook start pitching like they have potential to.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score

I would argue the Cubs (Zambrano/Hill), Astros (Oswalt/Jennings, who isn't even that good, but Oswalt is so much better than both that it's a wash), Cardinals (I'll take Carpenter and whoever over Arroyo/Harrang), Dodgers (Schmidt/Lowe or Penny), Padres (Peavy/Bush), and the Marlins easily over the two of them. What a joke.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Rich Hill? The 27 year old prospects who has thrown 123 innings in his career with a 5.12 ERA? Right
Oswalt and Jennings is better then the first one you listed, and if Jennings can match his numbers from last year it could be close.
Carpenter and whoever? That's a helluva 1-2 punch. Kip Wells? Anthony Reyes? Both of them had ERA's over 5. That's just awesome.
Schmidt and Lowe are another good one if Schmidt stays healthy, but Harang/Arroyo are right up there with them.
Bush isn't even on the Padres roster, and Peavy had a 4.09 ERA last year.
The Marlins could be another one depending how their sohmores do.

I'm not so sure what's so damn funny. Harang and Arroyo match up with everybody in the NL you listerd. What a joke.

dude. they arent the best 1-2 punch. they will never be. they just arent. arroyo had a fluke season and will never repeat. hell, he probablly have more losses than wins each year for the rest of his career. (and he looks like a girl now a days) and harang, he wouldnt be considered a 1 or 2 pitcher on more than half the MLB. they wont repeat the joke that was last season. not this year, not ever. they arent close to being the best 1-2 in MLB. maybe not even in their own state if C.C. and Westbrook start pitching like they have potential to.
Oh yeah dude, Harang is just awful. 1st in wins, strikeouts, and 3rd in IP in the NL. His ERA has gone down each of the last 3 years, and all of his stats improved his 3 years in Cincinnati. He is just a joke.

Arroyo's 2.45 ERA in September/October shows that the NL was really figuring him out at the end of the year.

If you look at the contract as a hole, it's 5 year 33.07 mil. That's not bad at all for this market.

MVPosey

Muckdog
Reaction score
NL Ranks

Strikeouts-
Harang 1st (216)
Arroyo 6th (184)

IP-
Arroyo 1st (240.2)
Harang 3rd (234.1)

Wins-
Harang 1st (16)
Arroyo 12th (14)

ERA-
Arroyo 4th (3.29)
Harang 11th (3.76)
(Only SD had 2 in the top 11)

OMG that's so funny calling them the best 1-2 punch in the NL.
Harang's a solid pitcher, but has been overacheiving the last couple years and is still not a true ace
Arroyo was simply a fluke
Team's with better 1-2 punches:
Giants (Zito/ Cain)
Padres (Peavy/ Young)
Dodgers (Lowe/ Schmidt)
D-Backs (Webb/ Johnson)
Cardinals (Carpenter/ Wainwright)
Atlanta (Smoltz/ Hudson)
Cubs (Zambrano/ Lilly)
Marlins (Willis/ Johnson)
Astros (Oswalt Jennings)
Brewers (Sheets/ Capuano)
Phillies (Myers/ Garcia)
Hell, the only teams that have weaker 1-2 punches are the Rockies, Mets (until Pedro returns), Pirates, and Nationals...most of the teams above have as good or better 2/3 pitchers than Harang/ Arroyo

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
How has he been overrachieving?

Zito/Cain isn't better. Zito is solid, but Cain hasn't proven anything yet in his career.
Peavy/Young are good but Arroyo/Harang are right up there with them.
Schmidt/Lowe are both good, but aren't head and shoulders ahead of Arroyo/Harang
Randy Johnson had a 5 ERA last year.
Wainwright hasn't proven anything as a starter.
Lilly/Big Z are up solid, but aren't any better then Harang/Arroyo.
Willis/Johnson is up there if JJ's arm doesn't fall off.
Oswalt/Jennings is up there if Jennings matches last year.
Sheets is always hurt.
Garcia/Myers is up there.

Ok, we can sit here and split hairs all day. Maybe Harang and Arroyo aren't head and shoulders above the rest of the NL, but they are right up there with anybody you throw out. When you consider some of the pus we have thrown out there, it's something nice to see.

Top Bottom