What's new

RIAA tells students: Pay up for downloads

Bradcore

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
The Recording Industry Association of America asked the university to pass along letters to the students with Internet addresses accused of being involved with the illegal sharing of copyrighted music. The university notified the students on Monday.

"The downloading has occurred and we can't change that, but we can let them know what their options are," OU spokeswoman Sally Linder said Wednesday.

Patrick McGee, a local attorney the university arranged to meet with students, said $3,000 is the standard offer though cases have settled for as much as $5,000. He has represented four Ohio University students in file-sharing lawsuits.

Jenni Engebretsen, spokeswoman for the trade group, based in Washington, D.C., would not disclose or confirm what the standard settlement offer is. She did say no cases have gone to trial yet across the country.

As part of its ongoing copyright crackdown, the association has already sued about 18,000 computer users nationwide since September 2003. The figure includes 1,062 computer users at 130 universities.

The association said last month that it intended to sue more students and others on campuses in the next three months than it has in the past three years and that it would send 400 letters a month to computer users suspected of copyright infringement.

Letters were sent to 13 universities last week, giving students 20 days to pay a settlement.

A letter to one Ohio University student told her that she distributed 787 audio files, putting her total minimum potential liability at more than $590,000. The minimum damages under the law is $750 for each copyright recording that had been shared, the letter said.

Many students cannot even afford the $3,000, McGee said.

"I think the record company is smart enough to know that a lot of students do not have the money," he said. "They can't actually take them up on the offer."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/ap_on_...ng_music_ohio_u

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
They're wasting their time. College students can't even afford those lowered settlements. I don't see what they think they gain from this.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't see what they think they gain from this.
Fear in the hearts of college students?

News stories like this do the trick.

So many fewer people share their stuff now.

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score
so the recording industry of america wants to help the rich get richer and the poor get poorer...i didnt realize they had republican roots

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Living off campus, FTW

Private torrent sites, FTW

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
so the recording industry of america wants to help the rich get richer and the poor get poorer...i didnt realize they had republican roots

Don't take this personally but your reply is highly uninformed, and has unfortunately become the slogan of those who try to rationalize theft.

My signature says it all. Come up with an argument against it.

The message from the RIAA is simple: If you choose to break the law, prepare to face consequences.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Why doesnt the RIAA go after those that burn a CD from their buddy.

They are also stealing.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score

They are also stealing.
Yeah, that is an easy thing to track down.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score

They are also stealing.
Yeah, that is an easy thing to track down.

Stealing is stealing.

And its essentially the same thing, you are just doing it in a differnet environment.

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score

Don't take this personally but your reply is highly uninformed, and has unfortunately become the slogan of those who try to rationalize theft.

The message from the RIAA is simple: If you choose to break the law, prepare to face consequences.
that was the purpose of my post...it is sarcasm...but my point is...whether it is legal or not...i have a hard time justifying handing over my hard earned money to million and billionaires...maybe the RIAA should realize that a good portion of america has a hard time buying a cd for 10-20 bucks when it cost 10 cents to make...and as for your point about the law...if colonists never opposed British law, we would be paying for our music with dead queens rather than dead presidents and if drunks abided by prohibition, america would have no more irishmen...my point is...because some genius somewhere thought it would be a good law, doesnt mean it is a good law and maybe if enough people fight this law things will change

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
how is selling music that you have created a bad law?

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score

that was the purpose of my post...it is sarcasm...but my point is...whether it is legal or not...i have a hard time justifying handing over my hard earned money to million and billionaires...maybe the RIAA should realize that a good portion of america has a hard time buying a cd for 10-20 bucks when it cost 10 cents to make...and as for your point about the law...if colonists never opposed British law, we would be paying for our music with dead queens rather than dead presidents and if drunks abided by prohibition, america would have no more irishmen...my point is...because some genius somewhere thought it would be a good law, doesnt mean it is a good law and maybe if enough people fight this law things will change

As a musician, that is really stupid. No relation whatsoever. You can complain all you want that many artists put a hit song on a cd and fill it up with crap, but it is their livelihood.

Stealing is stealing.

Thats not to say I don't take part in burning CDs and receiving them, however.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
I see there are no takers on constructing an argument against my sig.

:whistle

Izzie

Muckdog
Reaction score
the RIAA should just give up already!!! my god, when are they gonna get the point that they're never gonna win? ooh they caught a couple thousand students, that won't even put a damper on the world of free music. this generation is too smart with technology and too cheap to give in. i personally don't think it SHOULD be free but hey, i'm sure as hell gonna take advantage while it is.

and in reference to your sig, you don't think the whole world would be in gap shirts if some dude found a code out there?

Marlin Nation

Muckdog
Reaction score
I love my pirated music mainly because it's free and I didn't pay for it.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
the RIAA should just give up already!!! my god, when are they gonna get the point that they're never gonna win? ooh they caught a couple thousand students, that won't even put a damper on the world of free music. this generation is too smart with technology and too cheap to give in. i personally don't think it SHOULD be free but hey, i'm sure as hell gonna take advantage while it is.

and in reference to your sig, you don't think the whole world would be in gap shirts if some dude found a code out there?

Yeah but that doesnt make it right. Besides, your still looking at it from the criminals perspective (and don't kid yourself, its criminal).

My sig looks at it from the owner or more specifically the business owner's perspective. If a guy spends 3 years writing a book about high stakes No Limit poker strategy, should everyone be entitled to his hard work or free?

I love my pirated music mainly because it's free and I didn't pay for it.

I have a little news flash for you. "Free" and "I didn't pay for it" are the same thing.

Hey, if your cool knowing that your a criminal then I guess it's all good right?

:thumbup

Reaction score
Stealing is stealing except when it isn't stealing. As in, it isn't theft. As of right now its a violation of copyright to give out other people's works for free, but you don't go to jail for it, you just may have to pay the plaintiff a sum for violating his copyright.

So it isn't theft, nor is it illegal in the criminal sense. Its the violation of an artificial right created under the common law and furthered by the Lanham Act.

Top Bottom