What's new

Robert Stratton on the team?

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
should robert stratton at least have a shot at making the team, he's doing pretty good in AAA albuequerqe.

AVG G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO
.269 16 59 8 10 26 1 0 5 16 1 24

i know these numbers arent great but he is showing signs of power. could he do the job as 4th or 5th outfielder. i think he is doing pretty good.

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
24 strikeouts and 1 walk? That tells me he swings at everything and misses a lot. That park is a hitters park, so that may inflate the power numbers. If this guy ever learns some discipline at the plate, he would definitely make it.

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think Chad Allen (.368)will get call-up before Stratton right now

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
yeah i'd rather see Chad Allen than Stratton or Gerald Williams either for that matter..

Reaction score
yeah, for some reason the Marlins are reluctant to bring up young talent. A player like G. Williams has no value. What is boils down to is that he is cheap! Plus, supposedly he can produce off the bench and provide some leadership. Well, produce a bit that is a definite NO. Provide leadership, maybe. I was suprised to see Banks make the opening day 25-man roster and given the opportunity to get some ABs. Well, not really since he has only started once. I thought he was young prospect or something. Nope, he started his major league journey in 96'. So he is becoming a journeymen real quick, unless he breaks out one season.

So my reasoning for the Marlins having these two guys as backup OFs is COST. Which, it seems like everything boils down to that for the Marlins front office since 98'. If Gerald Williams breaks out somehow and bats .300, 20 HRs, and 80 RBIs he will still have very little value at the age of 37. Even if Brian Banks has a similiar year he will only show a bit more value, since he has never produced and would already be 33. Though, if they bring up a guy like Chad Allen and he puts up those kind of stats. At the age of 28 there will definitely be some intrest. Then, the Marlins are put in a situation where 'they have to put up, or shut up'. I'm sure they would 'shut up'. Another team will give him the contract he deserves and the few Marlins fans that are left are even more disappointed in management of the team. So they're forced to trade players who have a couple good seasons in the show or hot prospects in the minors for mediocre aging talent such as Todd Hollandsworth (30) and Mark Redman (29). This mediocre talent is cheaper and will be cheaper since it is unlikely they will breakout and have All-Star seasons.

This will be a neverending cycle :banghead until they are willing to pay their young talent. It is depressing since they have one of the better minor league systems but, so much of their talent goes to other big league clubs.

Top Bottom