What's new

Rondell White

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here is an article...

Call it the silly season ? the weeks leading up to baseball's July 31 trading deadline.

Rumors permeate every clubhouse.

And when that clubhouse belongs to a struggling team hoping for a complete turnaround by the time it moves into a new home nine months down the road, the rumors are so pervasive that they draw extra significance.

"Do you think I could be traded?" Padres left fielder Rondell White asked an observer earlier this week.

When the answer was in the affirmative, White nodded and said: "That's my feeling, too. When you hear all this stuff this early, there's something cooking."

The Florida Marlins are known to have expressed an interest in White. And Padres general manager Kevin Towers has acknowledged that the Chicago Cubs are "one of the clubs" that have shown interest in second baseman Mark Loretta.

Who is untouchable among the Padres? Possibly, no one. Consider:

Phil Nevin had to exercise the no-trade clause in his contract last winter to void a trade to Cincinnati that would have made Ken Griffey Jr. a Padre.

Ryan Klesko has said he would consider waiving the no-trade clause in his contract if the Padres asked him to move off first base.

Towers is trying to schedule a meeting with core players Nevin, Klesko and Mark Kotsay to determine who will eventually be playing where. And "where" could extend beyond Qualcomm Stadium or Petco Park.

And although White and Loretta are the club's leading candidates to appear in the All-Star Game next month, both know their chances of remaining with the Padres throughout the season are much lower than their batting averages.

Both could help a contending team in need of their specialties. And neither is under contract beyond this season.

"Probably this time of the season is more fun for everyone else following the game than the general managers and players," said Loretta, whose torrid June ? 33-for-92 with six doubles, three homers and 14 RBI ? has raised his season average to .299.

"Rumors are everywhere. But invariably it's the one you don't hear about that gets you."

"I think the older you get in the game, the less it bothers you," said White, 31, who wasn't talking necessarily about age.

"I didn't hear any rumors about me until my fourth or fifth year with Montreal. The first time my name came up in rumors it was very hard. But you get used to it. Sometimes, though, you have to remind yourself that it's not personal . . . it's business.

"And rumors . . . one time I got traded a week after I was promised that I wasn't going anywhere. The boss told me 'no chance.' And one week later I was taking a taxi by myself to the airport.

"But you can't help but think a little about the rumors. I got caught up one day last week thinking about the rumors here. I love it here. I'd love to play out my career here. So I thought about the rumors and I know it could happen."

That's because White, who is hitting .291 with 12 homers and 37 RBI, is as savvy as he is personable. The Padres have a surplus of corner outfielders. Xavier Nady, a rookie, is in right. Either Nevin or Klesko will likely be playing a corner outfield slot. The Padres have also talked of signing a center fielder and moving Kotsay to a wing. And there's Brian Buchanan on the bench and the injured Jason Bay waiting to return.

"Someone will be moving," said White. "Hopefully it won't be me, but . . . "

Loretta acknowledges that he's in the same situation. The Padres have talked about adding a quality shortstop and moving Ramon Vazquez to second base, where he thrived last year.

"You can't let yourself get caught up in that daily (rumors) grind," said Loretta, 31. "I'm much better at handling it than I was five or six years ago."

Last week wasn't the first time Loretta was rumored to be going to the Cubs. "I'm always going to the Cubs," he said with a chuckle.

But he had never been rumored to be going to the Astros, which is where he was traded from Milwaukee last year. That was a double whammy.

"I had heard some rumors before July 31, but the deadline came and went, so I relaxed a bit," said Loretta, who was traded to the Astros in a waiver deal at the end of August.

Link

BIG Z

Muckdog
Reaction score
we aint need him no mo since we brang up cabs,good move 4rm our gm!!!!!!!!!!

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Can Rondell white play first base??
Probably. What OFer can't, really.

Trade Lee for pitching after you trade for White...

farmer_fran

Muckdog
Reaction score
If we need a first baseman why not go after Klesko? He is exactly what we lack a left-handed power hitter.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
If we need a first baseman why not go after Klesko? He is exactly what we lack a left-handed power hitter. We have the farm system to get him... :mischief2

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
If we need a first baseman why not go after Klesko? He is exactly what we lack a left-handed power hitter. We have the farm system to get him... :mischief2 You think Padres will trade him?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
yea...

in fact, they are shopping him now.... or atleast they were

farmer_fran

Muckdog
Reaction score
well according to the article, there is a chance.

"Ryan Klesko has said he would consider waiving the no-trade clause in his contract if the Padres asked him to move off first base. "

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
You think Padres will trade him?
There is NO DOUBT they would, but depends what they want. The Yankees wanted him earlier, so I think he's available. I'm sure they've inquired about both of them, it just might be cheaper and easier to get White...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
maybe a Klesko and Loretta for Castillo and Derrek Lee?

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm sure they would do that, and I'm sure we would, too...

The Marlin Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
maybe a Klesko and Loretta for Castillo and Derrek Lee?
i really like the way that sounds, but if that is done, would we ba able to keep lowell? are both klesko and lorretas contracts up?

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
We would probably break-out even on that trade, but someone can check out the contracts...

farmer_fran

Muckdog
Reaction score
Klesko: 5.5 million
loretta: 1.25 million

Castillo: 4.85 million
Lee: 4.25 million

I don't know how many years are on klesko and loretta's contracts though.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Luis Castillo FLA $4.85M (+possible $50,000)

Derrek Lee FLA $4.25M

for

Mark Loretta SDG $1.25M

Ryan Klesko 1B/OF SDG Signed May 2000 - 3 years/$18.75M
2002: $6.0M
2003: $6.25M
2004: $6.5M
2005-6: Two-year extension for around $16.5M signed May 2002

Top Bottom