What's new

Rosenthal on The Fire Sale

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
He got this in one of his Question and Answer Pieces

When will the Marlins begin their fire sale?

Evan Roberts

*** Evan: Fire sale? What fire sale? Marlins president David Samson predicted the team would win 91 games, and by golly, I believe him.

Seriously, a fire sale can only take place after a team confronts reality and admits that it stinks. This seems to be a problem for the Marlins. No one but Samson thought the team was a serious contender. Of course, no one thought Jack McKeon would ever manage again, either. The Marlins are just full of surprises.

I don't expect the Marlins to challenge the Braves. I do expect them to attempt a purge of third baseman Mike Lowell, second baseman Luis Castillo and first baseman Derrek Lee before the July 31 non-waiver deadline. Lowell, eligible for his final year of arbitration after this season, would fit with the Cubs or Yankees. Castillo, a potential free agent, would be perfect for the Dodgers. Lee sure could help the Expos.

Any moment now, the Marlins will regret granting Ivan Rodriguez a complete no-trade clause. Then again, maybe not. The Fish are going to contend, remember?

Link

Expos Ranchod

Muckdog
Reaction score
how much does DLee make and what would you guys want? pitching ? :mischief2

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
how much does DLee make and what would you guys want? pitching ? :mischief2
DLee is a piece of crap... if he went to the Expos.. he would sink them with his clutch hitting :rolleyes:

jonnylons

Muckdog
Reaction score
A team I thought would be an interesting fit for D Lee is the Twins. Now, I dont know what they have in the way of prospects, but a guy I would like to see in this deal would be Doug Mientkiewicz. I think M's hitting style would flourish at JRS, he would fit perfectly with small ball, plays great D, has some speed, good leader and wants to win. He is also struggling and could be had cheap and Lee would certainly net him and another prospect. Any thoughts? :confused

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
What's the big surprise? Rosenthal is a dyed in the wool Marlins-hater right out of the Dan LeBatard school of pseudo-sports reporting, you know, if you can't be hateful what good is it to have a column? In the world of these two the facts have no relevance, "names" have greater importance than performance and on the field skill will always take a backseat to good joke or a hurtful line at someone elses expense.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Interesting thought jonnylons, and it would save some money, but nah....Doug's only had one good season and he doesn't produce enough offense. With a light-hitting outfield, we've got to have power numbers from our corner infielders. Much as I rip on Derek Lee, he does have decent power numbers once he gets going.

If Lee ever has a consistent year he'd be good for 30 homers and 100 RBIs, while Doug just can't reach those numbers.

What's the big surprise? Rosenthal is a dyed in the wool Marlins-hater right out of the Dan LeBatard school of pseudo-sports reporting, you know, if you can't be hateful what good is it to have a column? In the world of these two the facts have no relevance, "names" have greater importance than performance and on the field skill will always take a backseat to good joke or a hurtful line at someone elses expense.

Very well put Marlins2003.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
I like the idea of Doug.

If I recall he is from somewhere in Florida.

He is more of a gap hitter and makes good contact....I like that.

Homeruns or lack of them are not the end of the world....I know, I know...this is the new generation....but the key is hitting the ball where the fielders are not.

Gap power is sometimes better than homerun power.

I would almost do a Derrek for Doug trade straight up...both are fine defensively....but what about those guys in the minors?

Question.

Top Bottom