What's new

Salary Cap

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Most definately. If a salary cap is put in place, not only will salaries decrease (thank god) but so will the Yankee championships. Maybe if this happens, us teams that only have a good $50-60 Million to spend might have a chance to go out there and compete...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
there should be a minimum and a maximum

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on a cap.

I recall a proposal I had at least a good year ago....

Actually I think it was one of my columns...

Let me see what I can find.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
I knew it existed....

Here is an exerpt from my column entitled The State of the Game

Worldwide Draft. Why are only Americans subjected to the draft? In the NBA, the foreign players are subjected to the draft, so lets do it in the MLB also. Along with this, lets have a rookie scale standard contract for players that are drafted. This I think needs to be adopted today. It helps the owners and it does not hurt the union, since these drafted players are not members of the union quite yet as is. Revenue Sharing. Good idea, good intentions, bad, bad results at this point. The current system of revenue sharing is not a good idea and needs to be amended greatly. One problem arises because every team has their own local television contract that they negotiate with the networks along with the national television contract, which is split among the teams. Perhaps baseball should increase the amount of money that is shared by teams along with the receipts at the gate. Then you establish a higher equity among teams and this should improve the economic aspects of the game. However, this will only work if the following is adapted. Salary Cap. This needs to be happen. Every other major professional sport has one, and do not try to play the baseball is different card. Major League Baseball needs a salary cap because the owners cannot control themselves. However, with this cap, a minimum cap also must be established in order to receive any sort of revenue sharing with each other. Nevertheless, since baseball is unique the cap needs to be unique as well. Here is one unique idea; every team has two EXEMPT spot for HOMEGROWN players only. The definition of a homegrown player will have to be established in writing, but this will do two things I think. One, it should encourage teams to have a good farm system, good scouting, just a good overall organization. Second, it should eliminate teams from losing players on a purely economic standpoint since these players can be exempt from a cap.

I could go on.

Perhaps I will if demand is high enough.

Notice the date of this column, this idea of mine is at least that old.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Even with a salary cap, the Yankees are better than the Marlins currently.

The Yankees have traditionally had one of hte best farm systems that constantly produces players...

George would simply have to get more creative and probably rely on that minor league talent playing for the Yankees, instead of trading it away for more established and higher priced talent.

Hence...even with a salary cap, the Yankees will still be a very good ballclub.

Ravenlord

Muckdog
Reaction score
i'm all for a salary cap, and to an extent, revenue sharing. if baseball keeps going at its current rate, there may be nothing left by a capsized ship when Selig steps down in 2006.

Nugget

Muckdog
Reaction score
YUP. You damn right I think there should be a salary cap.

It works in football and basketball, so why not baseball?

cgator

Muckdog
Reaction score
Baseball needs to admit that they are not completely unique in their problems. Revenue sharing and salary caps do work if done correctly. I think that if the revenue sharing plan is good, a minimun cap must be established that is at least 50-60% of the maximum cap. If a team can not live up to that goal, relocation (or even contraction) is essential. MLB put itself in this situation by not allowing relocation for 3 decades, offerring expansion franchizes instead. MLB needs to make sure that all the exsisting teams start out with the same chance in spring training.

later.....

Ravenlord

Muckdog
Reaction score
YUP. You damn right I think there should be a salary cap.

It works in football and basketball, so why not baseball?
because not long after football adopted a salary cap, baseball tried to. the courts interjected and said baseball couldn't impose a salary cap. they didn't give a real reason, just one of those really long sentences that don't say anything.

and now, there's the player's union to contend with, and if anyone could get them to agree to a salary cap, we should probably send them to negotiate peace in the middle east.

Top Bottom