What's new

Scouting RHP DennyBautista

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
Anup from teamonebaseball does a good job of scouting the minors.

http://teamonebaseball.rivals.com/content.....asp?CID=186950

BAUTISTA?S STRONG ARM DOESN?T GET OUTS
Bautista on the other hand showed a tremendous arm. I?d seen him last year and he was struggling; I suspect he was hurt on that day because he threw 88-89 MPH then and was 93-94 MPH on Monday. Bautista?s fastball/curveball combo will compare with the very top major league hurlers. His heater has a lot of heavy sinking action to it and his curve has a hard tilt at 81-83 MPH. Both can be major league knockout punches

Yet Bautista got hit hard by the Tampa Yankees. In five innings of work, he gave up a whopping 11 hits and six earned runs while walking three and striking out four.

I watched him in the first inning and expected him to dominate. How could someone with such a great arm get hammered by a Florida State League team?

Bautista had almost no plan on the mound and minimal command. He was throwing low balls to low-ball hitters, inside fastballs to inside fastball hitters, and so forth. Nothing was thrown where it needed to be thrown.

When you have an arm like that, you?ll be patient. There?s at least something to work with. But Bautista will require considerable future development to harness the finesse aspects of pitching.

He?s a rail-thin 6-4, 170, with a quick arm. Bautista?s delivery has two parts and is a little bit herky-jerky. Bautista stabs his throwing hand before regrouping and coming home. There might be some strain on the shoulder and there?s not a lot of bulk to absorb it.

I think Bautista could be better off as a closer and that might be what the Marlins do with him down the road. He?s got the two pitches for it and durability won?t be a concern. The only concern is that he learns to command what he has.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Great post Ed.

Can I ask a favor? How about posting fave links so we all bookmark them. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom