What's new

Security for the Marlins may come sooner.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
D.C. Baseball Group Hires Banking Firm

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A group that wants to buy the Montreal Expos and move them to the nation's capital hired an investment banking firm that has been involved in the sale of several major league teams.

Goldman Sachs was hired by the Washington Baseball Club on Monday to provide advice and financial services. The group's managing partner is Frederic Malek, once an aide to former President Nixon.

Washington has not been in the majors since the Senators moved to Texas in 1971.

Goldman Sachs has been involved in many baseball transactions, including the sales of the Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers and Cleveland Indians, and the creation of the New York Yankees' cable television network.

Groups in Portland, Ore., and Northern Virginia also are competing for the Expos, who were bought by the other 29 teams before the 2002 season. The commissioner's office has set mid-July as a target for a decision, but has said it is possible a permanent home may not be found in time for the 2004 season.

Baseball owners would like to have financing for a new ballpark in place before making a decision. While all three groups have announced financing plans, none has completed all of its financing.

If the Expos were to move to Washington or Northern Virginia, they would play in RFK Stadium until a new ballpark is built.

The sooner they move the Expos, the sooner the Marlins are secure to stay in South Florida. Portland cannot support a team because the state is not willing to build a new ballpark. It looks like Washignton/N. Virginia will win the Expos sweepstakes. They are getting serious and hiring the bank to secure financing for the new ballpark so Baseball will award the team to them.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
That would eliminate the only real threat for a Marlins Relocation. Portland has the Mariners up the way in seattle, they don't need the team. A $16 Amtrak Cascades ticket carries many fans to seattle from Portland. Seattle estimates that 46% of all fans in attendance every game at Safeco lives outside the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia Metro Area. If they lose the Portland market, they will be in trouble.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think MLb has to get it's own house in order regarding the Washington market before they go out and get GS to secure capital. Angelos is a BIG hurdle to getting a team in DC, and MLB is going to have to pony up lots o' cash to get him to let another team in his backyard.

I don't think the 'Spos going to DC has any effect on the Fish, anyway. It's not like it was if the Spos don't move to DC the Marlins will. Besides, if it gets bad enough in SoFl, something will be done with the Marlins to address the situation, new market or not. The team cannot exist forever burning cash in a bad market. MLB will do something.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think MLb has to get it's own house in order regarding the Washington market before they go out and get GS to secure capital. Angelos is a BIG hurdle to getting a team in DC, and MLB is going to have to pony up lots o' cash to get him to let another team in his backyard.

I don't think the 'Spos going to DC has any effect on the Fish, anyway. It's not like it was if the Spos don't move to DC the Marlins will. Besides, if it gets bad enough in SoFl, something will be done with the Marlins to address the situation, new market or not. The team cannot exist forever burning cash in a bad market. MLB will do something.
Angelos has no real strength, Baltimore existed with the Senators there a long time. Compensation will be needed and deserved, but that will be no biggie. If he gets a nice amount of $$$$$, he will shut up. He may not even be compensated because he is AL and the Expos are NL. They may use the Mets/Yankees, Giants/A's, Cubs/Sox, or Dodgers/Angels argument and win. Each is a different league so they have different markets by definition.

I know that the Fish probably won't move to DC if the Expos don't but people in Miami are believing that the fish will move there if the expos don't. It would restore people's confidence in management's commitment.

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
DC doesnt deserve a team. The lost the Senators twice!

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
DC lost the Senators in the 60's the last time. Look at DC in the 60's and compare it to today's DC. Population has grown tremendously. It can support the Redskins and the Ravens. I think it could also support another MLB team. The DC market without the Baltimore market is larger than Montreal in market size so it is not a question of if, but when they will move there.

geemoney

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's good news....for now. I think until this team gets a new stadium or can draw more than 10,000 per game, the relocation rumors will always be around.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Although I'm too lazy to go dig up the supporting documentation, I know that Angelos has been very vocal in his opposition to a two-team market. Remember, MLB has been down this road before.

And, if I remember correctly, his ownership rights provide him with franchise locality rights, which means he has significant strength in vetoing moves that threaten his market.

In the end, he'll probably bow to the pressure, but it won't be easy and it sure as hel won't be on MLB's timeline.

AS for comparisons to the Senators, and the dual market teams that exist now. Remember that these issues were addressed before TV (and the resulting revenue). The almighty TV dollar and it's contract have a lot to say about market share amongst teams.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
People who live in DC can see Baltimore stations and vice versa. People in Oakland can see San fran tv and vice versa. He has no case. it is the fifth largest combo market behind NYC, LA/Anahiem, Chicago, and SF/Oakland It's not like the new DC team would be AL, which he has rights for. He cannot tell an NL team what to do.

geemoney

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you. I'm a veteran of the Florida Marlins "official" message board at their "official" site. However, for some reason, my computer won't log me on and I have to use my aunt's to get on there. Suffice to say, I'll only be posting once in a while there. It's also gotten quite barren over there as well. Long story short- I'm gonna try and balance TWO Marlins Message Boards and see how it goes. I've heard good things about this board, so I've decided to check it out.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I left the official site because i cna't stand the low class people there. Thankfully Admin created this haven for us. Thank You Admin!

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
People who live in DC can see Baltimore stations and vice versa. People in Oakland can see San fran tv and vice versa. He has no case.

All I can say to you is that for the last 20 years he's blocked attempts to throw baseball in DC, even though there was (and is) a huge public outcry for baseball (ever watch a skins' game on TV, they have a huge "Baseball in DC banner at every home game for the last 15 years).

If I get a chance I'll go monger out there for some documentation, but I do know that because of franchise rights and contractual obligations Angelos is a huge roadblock.

And by the way, welcome geemoney. Remember the 1st rule of the Marlinsbaseball.com forums.... No one likes Fish Fillet, he's too negative.

Enjoy.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have always loved it here most, but sometimes I'll wonder over to ESPN and FM.com...

I'm AJMLIR14 on both of those...

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
People who live in DC can see Baltimore stations and vice versa. People in Oakland can see San fran tv and vice versa. He has no case.

All I can say to you is that for the last 20 years he's blocked attempts to throw baseball in DC, even though there was (and is) a huge public outcry for baseball (ever watch a skins' game on TV, they have a huge "Baseball in DC banner at every home game for the last 15 years).

If I get a chance I'll go monger out there for some documentation, but I do know that because of franchise rights and contractual obligations Angelos is a huge roadblock.

And by the way, welcome geemoney. Remember the 1st rule of the Marlinsbaseball.com forums.... No one likes Fish Fillet, he's too negative.

Enjoy. If i remember correctly, Angelos has owned the team since the Early-Mid 90's. Loria tried to buy the Orioles in a court auction but Angelos beat him. So i don't know what you're talking about.

Top Bottom