What's new

Should the Marlins reconsider trading Dontrelle Willis?

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know that no one here probably wants to trade Dontrelle Willis. But if you could net a CF of the future (starting this season), a closer and other future parts...doesn't it make sense? I like Willis, but the Marlins supposedly have a ton of starting pitchers near ready in the farm system so should the Marlins deal from a position of strength to make their team better for now and the future? I think teams would line up for Willis and the Marlins would be able to restock their team for the near future.

I know everyone on here wants to trade guys like Petit, Nolasco and Mitre....but you won't get much back for any of them. If I had to pick one between Cabrera and Willis to keep it would definately without a doubt be CABRERA! I doubt they keep both of them after this season unless they break ground on a new stadium.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
IMHO, Both Willis and Cabrera will be gone within two years. No matter what happens with the stadium issue

- Willis because we have a surplus of pitching
- Cabrera because he will be one of the highest paid Major Leaguer in history, and Miguel and his agent knows it.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know that no one here probably wants to trade Dontrelle Willis.
There is a small faction who would not be against trading Dontrelle Willis

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm a part of that faction.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score

I see it as a reality or an event that will happen more than a necessity or the right thing to do.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
IMHO, Both Willis and Cabrera will be gone within two years. No matter what happens with the stadium issue

- Willis because we have a surplus of pitching
- Cabrera because he will be one of the highest paid Major Leaguer in history, and Miguel and his agent knows it.

I hope we can keep cabrera for atleast 3 years. (meaning we would need to overpay him next year and then come to some agreement for the following year. That way we should be able to put together decent runs in 2008 and 2009 if keep our team in tact.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have no problem with getting rid of Willis, especially since he's probably at his peak value and we can still trade him. If we don't, he'll leave for nothing and I doubt the Marlins will really be much better with him this year than without him. However, keeping Cabrera is a must or I may just give up on this organization.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score

I see it as a reality or an event that will happen more than a necessity or the right thing to do.
I mean in a sooner rather than later capacity

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here's an idea.

Keep Willis and Cabrera and raise the payroll to a level of say.........the F'n Devil Rays and then use that $ to get a CF'r and some bullpen arms.

I know, I know...........its crazy talk.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here's an idea.

Keep Willis and Cabrera and raise the payroll to a level of say.........the F'n Devil Rays and then use that $ to get a CF'r and some bullpen arms.

too much Jack Daniels for you! :shifty

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here's an idea.

Man, you gotta stop dreaming.

Reaction score
In a word - No.

Even for all the pitching depth, what percentage of good pitching prospects develop into 20+ game winners? Dontrelle already has, and as the team around him develops, you will see it again. He's a proven workhorse who can flat out dominate. People have been so quick to say he is past his peak after a season he pitched with almost all rookies behind him and and a disrupted ST (remember the WBC?)

No matter how much people on this board want to recognize it or not, Dontrelle is special.

Reaction score
I'd trade Willis if we had to... as painful as it would be... if we could drastically improve the team in such a manner... and as far as the payroll stuff is concerned... I never thought I'd see the day TB had a hire payroll than us... and it there were 162 or so of them last year... and will be another set this year... *sigh*

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think if we get a stadium deal in the near future, both players should be kept, long-term. If we don't get a stadium deal, then both players should be kept for the next 2 years. But, as The Don says, it's crazy talk. If we don't get a stadium deal, I see both being traded. With this ownership group they're not willing to only make 10M a year, which they'd make if they kept both. They want to make 30-40M a year, like last year.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think if we get a stadium deal in the near future, both players should be kept, long-term. If we don't get a stadium deal, then both players should be kept for the next 2 years. But, as The Don says, it's crazy talk. If we don't get a stadium deal, I see both being traded. With this ownership group they're not willing to only make 10M a year, which they'd make if they kept both. They want to make 30-40M a year, like last year.

Except that, consider this, if they don't get a stadium this time with MLB involved, they assuredly will be gone and the franchise worth more (to a new city) with Willis and Cabrera than without. If you were Portland (example) and you were the city fathers deciding how much they'd pony up for a new stadium, don't you think bringing in two stars like we're talking would be a driving force in selling it in the community?

I do. Somehow, regardless of how good Olsen is, he just doesn't and probably will not have for several years the star power of DW. And Miggy, is about to become one of the biggest stars in the game. The franchise is worth more, in almost any scenario with them then not.

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
I disagree. A city like Portland would jump on the Marlins no matter what names were on the back of the uniforms. I think now is the perfect time to deal Willis if they're going to do it. I wonder what teams have what the Marlins really need and would be willing to part with it. I would think that a young CF, C, Closer and more would be needed to get anything done.

MarlinsFan7

Muckdog
Reaction score
In my opinion, I think trading Dontrelle Willis is the best thing for this team...depending on the stadium issue. It looks as though the staidum is progressing, so let's assume we get it done. I think we all can agree that there are many dontrelle's out there, maybe not personality wise, but talent wise. However, you only come across a Miguel Cabrera maybe once every thirty years, on your team that is. We have so may great pitchers in our system, Olsen, Johnson, Volstad, and many, many more. Let's be realistic, the way pitchers are getting paid these days, we will not be able to keep both Willis and Cabrera, even with a stadium. So I say we lock up Cabrera, because if Loria is true to his word and bumps up payroll after the stadium is finalized, we will have lots of moeny to spend, trade Willis for a future CF'er, and closer if we can. If dontrelle has an average season, his value goes down. It's already going down as we speak. So do it now, don't wait.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
I disagree. A city like Portland would jump on the Marlins no matter what names were on the back of the uniforms. I think now is the perfect time to deal Willis if they're going to do it. I wonder what teams have what the Marlins really need and would be willing to part with it. I would think that a young CF, C, Closer and more would be needed to get anything done.
You're talking like you know the Marlins are moving to Portland.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score

It probably is true in the case of Portland, but they were just a name used for example purposes. That said a stadium in Portland would be another $500 million retractable roof stadium because of the weather there and I don't care where it is, selling a community on financing $300+ million through bond financing is going to be an extraordinarily tough task because the per capita outlay is tremendous.

But pick any of the cities, Vegas, San Antonio, Jersey, Virginia - big names help significantly especially if the scenario is that city "is getting what's left of the Marlins".

But it's just an opinion, you don't have to agree. Generally I see it as a much tougher sell without them than with them.

You're talking like you know the Marlins are moving to Portland.

I picked Portland because an ESPN story (which I thought was BS) suggested the Marlins should move there so the Devil Rays could move to the NL East (and other moves involving realignment). And it's about as far as a team could move.

I thought most people here had seen it. You have the wrong read if you think that Benched, not at all.

Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/c...&id=2727901

Top Bottom