What's new

Should we make a trade for a center fielder?

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know De Aza did good for his little bit of action this season. But watching Abercrombie, Reed and Amezaga in center field is getting ridiculous. None of those guys has any upside at all, period. Looking around AAA ball, I see Admin Bigbie, Joey Gathright, Marlon Byrd and Jeff Salazar all ripping the baseball. I'm sure that none of those guys would be to hard to pry away from their current teams and the cost wouldn't be too high. All of those guys would be a huge upgrade over the garbage we trot out in center field.

geemoney

Muckdog
Reaction score
If you think De Aza did good, why would you want to make a trade? He's on his way back from his ankle injury, and I saw no reason to give up on him yet.

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think you're right about Cabrera. And I think Willis will be right behind or in front of him.

Id give De Aza a chance to prove his critics wrong first.

No need to trade for a backup either as Cody should be hopping along back any time with that ugly mug of his. Borchard will never see the cover of GQ anytime soon either.

But it is offset nicely by the boyishly handsome Miggy, Scotty O and, Hanley, the man pretty Jeremy Hermida, and the ruggedly handsome Hammer.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
baldelli is doing poorly maybe if he keeps it up by midseason his price will drop :)

That said BJ Upton sure would of looked good now huh guys?

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
The point of making a trade is because De Aza could break down again or stink it up. It's really easy to hurt a hamstring again as far as Ross goes. We also need some depth in the outfield because if Hermida goes down again (highly possible) I don't want to see Borchard starting again because he's a stiff.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd expect to see Brett Carroll and Eric Reed up here again before we would go acquire a CF..

but you never know with this front office

geemoney

Muckdog
Reaction score
The point of making a trade is because De Aza could break down again or stink it up. It's really easy to hurt a hamstring again as far as Ross goes. We also need some depth in the outfield because if Hermida goes down again (highly possible) I don't want to see Borchard starting again because he's a stiff.
Then I think you would be looking more for a corner outfielder. I don't think you should make a trade because a guy MIGHT get injured or stink.

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
The point is.....if you can handle center field, you can definately handle a corner spot. De Aza hasn't proven anything yet. I was looking through Baseball America's Prospect Handbook and his name was nowhere to be found in their Top 30. I don't have much confidence in him doing a good job for the Marlins this season.

geemoney

Muckdog
Reaction score
The point is.....if you can handle center field, you can definately handle a corner spot. De Aza hasn't proven anything yet. I was looking through Baseball America's Prospect Handbook and his name was nowhere to be found in their Top 30. I don't have much confidence in him doing a good job for the Marlins this season.
If that's what you're basing it on, then the answer to the question is simply, no, I don't think we need to trade for a center fielder.

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
So, you must like the players the Marlins trot out in center field? De Aza might be o.k., but none of the other players that have played there remotely look like anything close to an average major league centerfielder.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
and Marlon Byrd, Admin Bigbie and the rest of those retreads are so much better?

if we're going to get a CF, I hope we get a legit prospect who we could call up in September, and have him ready for next season

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
Are you willing to give up really good pitching prospects...because that's what it will cost to get one of those.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
absolutely...but like Ramp said we'll keep trying internal options until a deal come along. All Carroll has done is hit double after double at every level. He'd be an interesting try some point this summer

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Are you willing to give up really good pitching prospects...because that's what it will cost to get one of those.
in a heart beat

TINSTAAPP

there is no such thing as a pitching prospect

geemoney

Muckdog
Reaction score
So, you must like the players the Marlins trot out in center field? De Aza might be o.k., but none of the other players that have played there remotely look like anything close to an average major league centerfielder.
The other players become moot when De Aza comes back, because they'll only play once a week. I wouldn't have them start, but they're fine backups.

Top Bottom