What's new

SI.com Top Prospects

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
58. Sean West, 21, LH SP, Florida Marlins
2006 Stats (A-): 3.74 ERA, 115H/120.1IP, 102K/40BB

Except for a seven-inning masterpiece on Aug. 11, West fell apart after the South Atlantic League All-Star Game. More appropriately, West fell apart around the time his high school season would have normally ended. In nine starts spanning the first half, West had a 1.26 ERA with a K/BB rate above 4.00. Remove the Aug. 11 start from his second-half numbers and the erosion comes full force: a 6.11 ERA and 46/28 strikeout-to-walk rate over 63 1/3 innings. West has fantastic size, good command and a tough fastball. Once he adds stamina to the equation, he could become the game's best left-handed pitching prospect.

Ryan Tucker, RHP, Marlins
2006 Stats (A-): 5.00 ERA, 123H/131.1IP, 133K/67BB

While Chris Volstad and Aaron Thompson boast better pedigrees and 2006 numbers than Tucker, the latter emerged as the best prospect of the trio in the South Atlantic League. Tucker was a one-pitch thrower in the Sally League's first half, posting a 6.67 ERA with a horrible walk rate. Once he made headway with command and tightened his slider in the second half, Tucker became Greensboro's best starter. Look for his success to carry over, and for the short right-hander to reach Double-A in 2007.

Interesting no Thompson or Volstad in the rankings

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/base...rtii/index.html

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Everyone seems to love Tucker all of a sudden.

I'll still take production versus makeup. He's clearly behind Volstad, West, Gaby, Thompson, and Sinkbeil to me. Maybe he can slip in front of Vanden Hurk, J. Garcia, or Owens, but I'd still be reluctant. Either way, 2010 staff is going to be nasty haha.

yandro

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yep, very surprised to see only one Marlin in the top 50, with an Honorable mention to Tucker. I definately thought we would see AT LEAST one, maybe two of our SP in the top 15. I would guess they based their rankings on how close they are to sticking with the ML team (which would explain them choosing Alex Gordon #1).

Sidetracking a bit, but still on topic, is Chris Young (not the pitcher) on the DO NOT TRADE list for Arizona? It looks like's he's gonna become a decent CF and can cover some ground.

Have the Marlins looked into acquiring him?

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hey! where are are our other pitching prospects like Volstad and Gabby

I believe our 5th starter's spot is Gabby's and no one else

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
If there are only two Marlins on there, this list is pathetic.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
If there are only two Marlins on there, this list is pathetic.
Well who would you include and take out then?

Reaction score
Honestly I believe that Ryan Tucker has more upside than Chris Volstad but at this point- Volstad is the better pitcher. Volstad is a finesse pitcher and power pitchers are supreme in the pros.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Honestly I believe that Ryan Tucker has more upside than Chris Volstad but at this point- Volstad is the better pitcher. Volstad is a finesse pitcher and power pitchers are supreme in the pros.

Volstad is a finesse pitcher for the time being. He still throws 94 MPH, but as he continues to gradually gain mass on his 6-foot-7 frame, his velocity will continue to improve.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't pretend to know Bryan Smith's true knowledge base although he's part of a helluva website but going through his previous year's picks I'm not sure how good a prognosticator he really is. Since there really is no explanation of how he accumulates his information or the criteria he uses I'm not sure why he should have anymore credibility than Callis or some of the other guys out there.

There's a number of names not included (exclusive of Marlins prospects) that I was surprised by their absence but I'll leave it to others to evaluate his list overall.

Top Bottom