What's new

Smoltz injured

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score
i think this was the one injury away from our season being in the toilet....smoltz injured his shoulder, don't know how long it will be this time.

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Atlanta right-hander John Smoltz left his start against the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday night in the fourth inning.

The team said Smoltz was removed as a precaution after feeling a tweak in his pitching shoulder while warming up for the inning and re-injuring his right, pinkie finger. He was replaced by Oscar Villarreal.

Smoltz dislocated the pinkie on May 14 while making a tag against Washington's Austin Kearns, but had been brilliant in the two starts since -- going 2-0 in 14 scoreless innings.

In the top of the fourth, Smoltz, who had won five of his previous six starts by pitching seven innings in each, easily ran out a chopper that bounced off first baseman Prince Fielder's glove for a single. He broke his bat on the play and shook his hand gingerly, looking at his fingers at first for a few minutes afterward.

Smoltz hadn't been sharp before exiting Tuesday night, but was still effective. He threw 40 of his 58 pitches for strikes, but gave up eight hits and three runs.

The Braves' starting rotation hasn't been healthy since spring training. Mike Hampton tore a flexor tendon in his left elbow in March and Lance Cormier (strained triceps) still hasn't made an appearance this season, but is expected to start next Tuesday.

Smoltz (7-2) picked up his 200th win last Thursday.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/mlb/SIG=...p&type=lgns

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
dammit. Another guy on my fantasy team is hurt. :banghead (mauer, zumaya, morneau (he's back), now smoltz)

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score
smoltz says he's pitching sunday (game is on wgn and tbs). he's not one to whimp out...like a certain guy named Admin.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
smoltz says he's pitching sunday (game is on wgn and tbs). he's not one to whimp out...like a certain guy named Admin.
heh. Admin wayne jones.

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
that eliminates him not pitching against us now.

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score
that eliminates him not pitching against us now.

that's good news for you guys. i have no idea how we're going to pitch next week. hudson should pitch monday, and cormier will pitch one of the tuesday games. i think davies will pitch the other tuesday game, and james may work on three days rest on wednesday, or we may call someone up for a spot start, or use (gulp) buddy caryle again.

i'm not really sure about this upcoming series.

Top Bottom