What's new

Some Marlin stats

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
Out of other National League teams the Marlins are....

5th in runs scored
3rd in batting average...awesome
6th in OPS
7th in BB
13th in SO's out of 16 teams is a huge improvement
9th in HR's

Pitching categories....

10th in ERA
14th in BB...this problem has not been corrected since last season and continues to hurt us
2nd in SO...wow

-An interesting stat about our starters..over the last 43 innings pitched they have a 2.08 ERA!
-For anyone who watched the game last night...Why was Pavano pulled after 89 pitches, seemed he was rolling along.
-J. Beckett is 4th in SO's with 31 in 26 IP
-On ESPN this morning an anchor labeled AA as the "2nmd best lefty out the pen in the league." Although, I can't remember if he said NL or MLB. Gammons also did a piece on baseball tonight about surprise players in which he included A. Gon. I guess when your 3rd in BA (.368) and 2nd!!! in SLG% (.721, holy crap) if he didn't include him it would be insanity. Alex Gonzalez is one the main reasons this team has been hanging around .500 so far this season and if anyone near the top starts to falter he should be hitting 2 or 3. But it is nice to have an option in the 7th spot.
-For all the D Lee haters, Mr. Anti-Clutch has 17 RBI's and is tied for 7th in the NL.

Awesome! :hat

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Bobby V is the one that said AA was the 2nd best lefty reliever in baseball...behind Wagner :disguise2

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah we mess with DLee, but his RBIs are right up there with the team lead which is what's important. Considering he usually slumps during the first half of the season, the RBI numbers are good.

AA has gone 10 straight appearances now without allowing a run.

As poor as the bullpen has been, Looper Spooney and AA have been very solid.

I think Penny only walked 1 or 2 the other night. Pavano only walked one last night. The relievers walked zero. Good sign.

The starters have been great lately, now if the team could just get them some wins!

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
For anyone who watched the game last night...Why was Pavano pulled after 89 pitches, seemed he was rolling along.
Because our manager does not have the slightest notion on how to manage our starting rotation, that's why! Taking out your starting pitcher who has been dominant throughout the game, even before the foresaken 100 pitch mark, and inserting a reliever who surrenders a run everytime he comes out (at least for the past few weeks) does not make sense even to a 5 year old managing this team. But Torborg believes he is the greatest baseball strategist alive :banghead :banghead :banghead

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
you know what though.....

Glendon Rusch was arguably the better pitcher last night, but Yost left him at 90 pitches.... he broke down and it eventually cost them the game...

maybe Tororg saw something in Pavano...he did say that Pavano didnt have his best stuff out there and that they did some adjustments during the game....

maybe Torborg deserves some credit there?

then again, maybe not

:plain

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Maybe I would have brought in Spoony over Tejera, or leave Pavano in for another inning, but the decisions yesterday weren't anything crazy. They showed a stat on Pavano about how his batting average against shoots up after 75 pitches. I was surprised though to hear the coaches say Pavano didn't have his best stuff. Was I imagining things? Pavano walked one batter and kept his pitch count way down. I thought he looked fantastic. Jenkins' double was high and inside, I was surprised he even hit it.

Look, I'm never going to complain about Torborg using a setup man in the 8th and closer in the 9th. But when the starter's only at 89 pitches... Heck, he might've been able to pitch a complete game at the rate he was going.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Look, I'm never going to complain about Torborg using a setup man in the 8th and closer in the 9th. But when the starter's only at 89 pitches... Heck, he might've been able to pitch a complete game at the rate he was going.
It's kind of ironic that Torborg is being criticized for pulling his starter's too soon...I seem to remember the wrap against him was leaving the young arms in too long! How quick we forget...it was his use of AJ last season as well as his history with the White Sox back in the day that was questioned.

To be honest with you, I'd rather he err on the side of caution with our starters...the ultimate goal is to have them all healthy throughout the season and all pitch 200 innings. In the long run a healthy rotation is what will lead us to the promised land.

Go Fish.

:hat

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
The difference between AJ last year and Pavano last night.....about 30 pitches.

Its sad when you cannot expect a starting pitcher to throw 100 pitches in a night. Riduclious.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ramp and Malman have it right. You can't blame Torborg for leaving his young arms in too long on one hand, and then complain he took out a starter after seven innings.
Torborg has seen Pavano for several years now, first with Montreal and then here, if anyone knows how to handle the guy its got to be the manager. There's also the mental part of it, taking Pavano out with at least an "emotional victory" is better than him leaving with his tail between his legs an inning or two later.

This is still April. Stuff happens. Tejera is a real question mark right now but remember we were saying the same things about Almanza a couple of weeks ago.

Torborg does things that upset me, but handling Pavano isn't one of them.

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
Shamrock great info!!!

*Beckett is starting off the way AJ did last being up there in K's. I hope he does it all year the way AJ did(finger crossed)

*I wish they split the stats from bullpen ERA and starters ERA. I bet its a BIG difference.

* The stats I feel is the most important IMO is the BB by the batters. That tells me the team is patient and is looking for there pitch to hit not the pitcher, more than HR. I want them to get up there in the top 5 in MLB. I believe the all team leaders(top 5) in that stats last year went to the playoffs. :D

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Intresting facts, i hope we can keep the BOB's down! I hope we can improve this year on that category...

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
D.Lee is batting .300 with runners in scoring position and so he is hitting for RISP.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Another great stat is the Marlins are averaging 15,550 per game in the 11 games played at Joe Robbie...

Go to the stadium folks!

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Go the stadium, really? DT drive down.....meet play, yenta and myself...I'll be there all 3 games.

Top Bottom