What's new

Something Needs To Be Done!!

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
It is now time to be concerned. After their torrid start, our hitters have shown that they are indeed human. However, we're still 3rd in the majors in batting average. On the other hand, our pitching has the 3rd worst ERA in the majors. They boast the 3rd highest number of walks, and the fewest strikeouts as well. Opponents are hitting a whopping .287 against us, and getting on base at a clip of .379, which is highest in the majors.

I realize we've been bitten with the injury bug early on, but those who haven't need to step up! We aren't even treading water right now! If we carry on at this pace, we'll be 20 games back in the division before JJ and Nolasco get back into the lineup.

Have Olsen and Sanchez become too comfortable with their spot on the roster? Do they think they can coast through this season riding last year's success? Or maybe this isn't an ego thing. Maybe it's purely a case of hitters being familiar with them this season.

In any case, I think now is the time to bring up a couple of our younger starters, if for no reason more than to show Olsen and Sanchez that they aren't invincible. Who knows, maybe one of them will be a sparkplug and stick like Willis and Cabrera did in 2003. Or like Vargas in 2005. Or like Hanley, Uggla, Johnson, Olsen, Sanchez, etc. in 2006. We need someone to come alive and invigorate the rest of the team!

I heard this on ESPN the other day: "Pennants can't be won in April, but they definitely can be lost."

miamibaseball

Muckdog
Reaction score
some how this team need wake up soon this not way to start home stand

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
I was really hoping that they wouldn't become a team that struggles to score and
wins solely on good pitching performances like they've done the last few years.
I was really happy and surprised at all the runs they scored the first week and
a half, but it seems like reality has finally set in. I really hope they can get
back to how they were the first week, even if they lose, it'd be nice to
see them score atleast four runs in a game.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
i am not worried quite yet. if i remember correctly, our pitching was awful in april and early may last season.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's not time to negative yet, but a few of us kept saying "sophmore slump, sophmore slump." The league has certainly adjusted to our guys...let's see how they now respond over the next month or so. I think Olsen will be fine because he did the same thing last season....Im very worried Sanchez is playing hurt or at least playing with a sore arm. Dont ask me why.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
We play the Nationals this weekend. If the fishies can't something going against the Nationals, then something is seriously wrong.

Reaction score
We play the Nationals this weekend. If the fishies can't something going against the Nationals, then something is seriously wrong.

The problem is the Nationals are starting to play better. That doesn't mean they are a good team by any means, I'm just saying that they are playing better than when we first saw them.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I continue to think (and I know few agree) that this may be a time to rebuild the lineup with Hanley hitting cleanup.

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
it is also early in the season and we are banged up, we will turn this around. we just need to take down the Nationals during this series.

VNYB

Muckdog
Reaction score
I continue to think (and I know few agree) that this may be a time to rebuild the lineup with Hanley hitting cleanup.

I agree shaking things up a little can't hurt.

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I want to win every game also and be in the thick of the race. But, realistically, it is not a reach that this team will struggle this year and at times look bad. Add to the youth, the injuries, well, did anyone expect Vander... to be pitching. We looked strong at the back of the rotation and now without Josh, Ricky and a questionable Sergio, it is no wonder things are not great. I think a solid performance by Mr. Cocky tonite can go a long way. If he wants to be the inspirational spokesperson, and I like his attitude, he has to step up and be a stopper for this losing streak.

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
I agree! Olsen needs to come out tonight and remind us why he's in our rotation! I would wager that out of all of the #2 starters in the majors, he's had one of the worst April's so far. It's just a guess, though. I don't know how many other #2 starters have an ERA of 7.00 right now.

llahsram

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've got my fingers crossed for a sweep!!! I'm hoping to be a .500 team on Monday morning. :thumbup

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
So you think that Olsen's and Sanchez's lack of effectiveness are due to injury? Why is this thread premature? We only let Julio screw up a few times before people were calling for his head. Why should we have lower expectations for our starting pitchers than we did for our closer? We should hold them to the same, if not higher standards.

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
So you think that Olsen's and Sanchez's lack of effectiveness are due to injury? Why is this thread premature? We only let Julio screw up a few times before people were calling for his head. Why should we have lower expectations for our starting pitchers than we did for our closer? We should hold them to the same, if not higher standards.

Maybe because no one loaded the bases every single time out and has an Era of 19+ or for the fact that anyone on this board could go out there and walk the bases loaded or have rocket shots hit off of us for each outing of an inning or less. The difference, we are not major league pitchers. Of course he did get credited with a full inning pitched the other night and he did not disappoint-managed to load the bases again-we like the consistency.
:D

EricWiener

Muckdog
Reaction score
7 pitchers on the DL. 2 of our hot young starters and 2 potential replacements and 3 guys that would definately be in our pen.
2 starting position players on the DL, and another day to day.
With De Aza on the DL, there is not a single legitimate CF in the entire organization... there is only even one guy that can really play the position (Reed) and he can't hit.

This is just going to suck. It shouldn't be 6 loses in a row suck, but it should suck.

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
But once more, it's not the guys on the DL that are causing our healthy starting pitchers to have poor outings, and our other 6 position players to not hit in clutch situations.

Top Bottom