What's new

Sources: Chargers head coach Schottenheimer fired

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Schottenheimer and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith have been having disagreements over staffing after losing a number of assistants. Dean Spanos, the team president, told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith.

Three days after the Chargers melted down in a stunning 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Spanos decided that bringing Schottenheimer back for the final year of his contract gave San Diego its best chance to win.

Schottenheimer, though, declined the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

"Right now, I wasn't comfortable accepting it," Schottenheimer told the Associated Press shortly after the season. He would have earned more than $3 million in 2007.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

Wow. I did not realize how much of his current staff he lost this offseason. Any idea where he might land if anywhere?

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Schottenheimer and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith have been having disagreements over staffing after losing a number of assistants. Dean Spanos, the team president, told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith.

Three days after the Chargers melted down in a stunning 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Spanos decided that bringing Schottenheimer back for the final year of his contract gave San Diego its best chance to win.

Schottenheimer, though, declined the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

"Right now, I wasn't comfortable accepting it," Schottenheimer told the Associated Press shortly after the season. He would have earned more than $3 million in 2007.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

Wow. I did not realize how much of his current staff he lost this offseason. Any idea where he might land if anywhere?

If he would have gotten fired a few weeks ago he would have been hired within 2 days of getting fired. I dont even know what teams are still looking?

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
This could be Rivera's landing point. Went to Cal, iirc.

:(

Buckeye

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cowboys have to be kicking themselves right now.

Fish4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cowboys have to be kicking themselves right now.

Took the words right out of my mouth

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
SAN DIEGO -- Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer was fired Monday night in a shocking move by team president Dean Spanos, who cited a "dysfunctional situation" between the coach and general manager A.J. Smith.
Sounds similar to a Girardi/Loria type issue, doesn't it?

Mets_bs

Muckdog
Reaction score
Martyball would have been a great fit in Arizona. sh*t, I wouldn't mind seeing him in NY. I don't see him going back to Cleveland.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Would this team classify as the best team ever taken over by a first year coach? I mean seriously.. talk about walking into a good situation, other than having to fill a staff on short notice.

Same Ferentz's name mentioned for the first time in a fox sports article.

Just read that they've received permission to interview 4 people: Norv Turner, Ron Rivera, Mike Singeltary and Rex Ryan. Interesting that the last 3 all have ties to the '85 Bears. :)

Would like to see Samurai Mike get the job and hope Rivera stays for one more year.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Didn't Turner set up the offense they're using in San Diego?

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a very long look.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Profootballtalk is set in their beliefs that Pete Carroll is getting the job and Singletary/Rivera are being interviewed just for the Rooney Rule.

Top Bottom