What's new

Spoke with a Marlins executive...

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I was at work (Starbucks) when I struck a conversation with a Marlins executive yesterday. We had about a half an hour conversation about the team (in which I got to try on a 2003 World Series ring), and found several things he had to say interesting.

- He was behind the firing of Girardi. He felt the team put on the field produced last seasons results, not his managing, and he did not care for him as a person in general.

- Does not like Jeffery Loria, and stated he dislikes Samson, and feels he's an "egomaniac".

- Told me he thinks Admin Beinfest is "the best GM in the business".

- Said the Marlins will always be competitive because of a fantastic scouting department and farm system, but until a new owner takes over the team and/or they get the stadium, Loria will count every penny possible.

- Believes the Marlins have more power than any team in the league right now because of the inexpensive talent on the roster, and that no player in the league is untouchable to the Marlins if neccessary.

- Thinks Hanley Ramirez is going to be as valuable a player as Miguel Cabrera to this team by 2008.

mr_eob

Muckdog
Reaction score
pretty cool, but really no surprises there.

Thanx for sharing though.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
yummy starbucks, need to find where you work to cut in line :)

good info dude. If you see him again you should ask him about the CF search :)

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
awesome. how'd you realize he was a marlins exec. ?

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
maybe the big, shiny world series ring was a giveaway ?

That and the Florida Marlins Polo shirt he was rockin'...

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
- Thinks Hanley Ramirez is going to be as valuable a player as Miguel Cabrera to this team by 2008.
He might not be too far off with that prediction.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
A Marlins executive told an employee of Starbucks (who is also a complete stranger to him) that he doesnt like his boss, Jeffrey Loria.

Am I reading this right?

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yea, because Loria is lurking these boards. And even if he were, he's going to fire an anonymous executive?

Yea, because Loria is lurking these boards. And even if he were, he's going to fire an anonymous executive?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
A Marlins executive told an employee of Starbucks (who is also a complete stranger to him) that he doesnt like his boss, Jeffrey Loria.

Am I reading this right?

And he was behind Girardi being fired.

That should be earth-shattering news that it wasn't the Beinfest/Girardi battle for control, it wasn't the evil owner or his stooge son-in-law, it was this shadowy character who orchestrated it all right under the collective noses of everyone in the media, both locally and nationally.

This is the media scoop of 2007. My hat's off to you. :whistle

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well I guess he agrees with 90% of us that post in this forum...Dude how could you not asked about CF?...Ask him if the FO is hiring right now, where do I send my resume to and to whom?

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is the media scoop of 2007. My hat's off to you. :whistle

:lol

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Very interesting, but a little strange. He had to be drunk or something to complain about Loria to a random person serving him at Starbucks.

Reaction score
No big surprises...seems like Loria and Beinfest have a workable relationship however I don't think they like each other. Seems like everyone agrees that Admin Beinfest is a great GM. If we ever lost Beinfest without getting a stadium then this franchise would be in serious trouble. I've always viewed him as one of the best GMs I've ever seen in baseball with some of the moves he's made. Could you imagine if the guy had Boston or the Yanks payroll?

I always viewed Girardi as a total "control freak". No facial hair? Joe was like Hitler and tried to make this franchise something it isn't- the Yankees. Girardi's results were exaggerated based on all of the talent the Fish had.

Fredi Gonzalez is the ideal man for this job- he does not need a lot of power or control, yet he's proven in the minors that he can really manage.

Seriously though, one of the 1st questions I would have asked the guy was about CF! But sounds like you had a good experience.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Very interesting, but a little strange. He had to be drunk or something to complain about Loria to a random person serving him at Starbucks.

Well no, I had met him once before when I was on the clock working the register and commented him on his shirt. The he proceded by flaunting a world series ring. I hoped I would see him again in there one day, and I got lucky and ran into him off the clock. We sat and had a pretty nice conversation. It didn't even start with the Marlins, we were originally talking about the Super Bowl. I didn't want to bring up the CF issue only because I didn't want to sound like a pestering fan. I just wanted to have a good conversation about the team, and we went through a few random things and that was it.

BTW: Random, but today I met Andy Roddick at Starbucks. And for those who say "no pictures, no proof", I got 'em. lol

Top Bottom