What's new

Spooney's Arm Is tired?

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Another stupid move to our pitchers. Tim said yesterday that his arm was tired. Ofcourse it was he pitched like 4 straight games and then came in relief again 2 days in a row.... :angry

Tim Spooneybarger said his right arm is ''tired'' and expressed concerns about manager Jack McKeon's repeated use of him in relief situations.

''I just can't do it every day,'' Spooneybarger said.

Since taking over as manager May 11, McKeon has repeatedly called upon Spooneybarger to preserve leads for extended periods. McKeon employed Danny Graves in much the same fashion when he managed the Cincinnati Reds, and has said he ''loves'' it when relievers want the ball.

But Spooneybarger said he is starting to feel fatigued after a run of extended outings in which he has set personal highs for innings pitched in a game.

''Right now I feel all right,'' Spooneybarger said. ``But I've only thrown 65 or 70 innings in a season until now.''

Spooneybarger pitched a combined 75 innings in the minors and with the Braves in 2001, and 72 between Atlanta and Triple A Richmond (Va.) last season.

He already has thrown 37 innings this season -- with 104 games remaining. Among full-time relievers, Braden Looper is next with 32 1/3.

McKeon twice has used Spooneybarger in relief outings that lasted more than two innings. At his current pace, Spooneybarger would finish the season having pitched 103 innings.

Though he didn't pitch Sunday, Spooneybarger was asked to warm up at one point despite the fact he threw an inning Saturday and two Friday.

''It raises some questions in my head,'' Spooneybarger said. ``Hopefully, I'll hold up.''

Link

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Does it strike anyone else as a bad indicator when a player comes out publicy and questions a manager about 2 weeks into his tenure?

About the only thing the Marlins have going for them is their effort. If they give up on McKeon this soon this season will turn into a mockery.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
who is giving up pn McKeon?.....

anyway, I kind of agree with Spooney, problem is, since Mando has stunk up the joint, Spooney has been used more.....

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
I agree. The problem is Almanza. Spooney has been a reliable setup man these past few games, while Almanza has been... well the usual Almanza: great at the beginning, too many walks and HRs in the middle, deplorable at the end. Instead of trading Lowell they should trade Almanza... :banghead

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Era by Month for Mando
April 2 somethig
May 7 something
June(1 game) 0.00

hey, its a start :p

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
Era by Month for Mando
April 2 somethig
May 7 something
June(1 game) 0.00

hey, its a start :p
yep, but's it is only one game... we can only pray... nah! he would stink at the end, trade the unreliable lefty now! :lol

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
hard to believe Bobby V called Mando the best lefty besides Wagner :eek:

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
:disguise2 : I did?!?!?!?

Expos Ranchod

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's probably a good indication of why he doesn't have a job in MLB anymore :lol

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Every time I watch BBTN with Bobby V. I am further convinced that he:

A) Is a delusional schizophenic.

B) Has an uncontrollable crack habit

I bet the powers that be in Bristol hope and pray every day that Bobby gets an offer to skipper somewhere to get him off the set.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i heard that in Bobby V's contract that he must stay with BBTN for a year, even if a job comes along

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Fish Fillet, we never said we are giving up on McKeon? He is a good manager but since Almanza has done bad we have to use him alot since he is like our best bullpen pitcher....

Reaction score
I would blame his tired arm on Tolberg because under his management 3 pitchers went on the isable list so I think Spooney's tire arm was because on Tolberg.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would blame his tired arm on Tolberg because under his management 3 pitchers went on the isable list so I think Spooney's tire arm was because on Tolberg.
i gotta disagree.... McKeon is overusing Spooney right now, and he knows it.... we need another pitcher to step up with Loop and Spooney

cgator

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think Spooney's tire arm was because on Tolberg.
Except for the fact that Spooney himself said it had to do with all the appearences he put in lately (under McKeon.)

later.....

Reaction score
Well yea but he might not have admmitted it when Tolberg was there and noe it hurts so much he finnally has to tell someone.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
i gotta disagree.... McKeon is overusing Spooney right now, and he knows it.... we need another pitcher to step up with Loop and Spooney
Yea he probaly wont pitch untill two or three days from now. We could put Allen Leverault to relief more often. Isnt it time for Vladi to come up? He has been down there for quiet a while. We can use him if he pitches good again.

cgator

Muckdog
Reaction score
Vlad at AAA:

18 games, 28 IP, 2 W, 1 L, 2 S, 7.07 ERA, .275 OAvg

Not the best.

Give it more time.

later.......

Top Bottom