What's new

Stadium funding update

fanfish

Muckdog
Reaction score
It seems that the discusion is now centered about which plan has a better chance to be approved by the legislature:

1. Lump sum of $100 million dollars to be divided equally among the Marlins, Lightning and Magic.
2. A $2 million yearly rebate to the Marlins along with the other 9 professional sport teams.

Senator De la Portilla (from Miami) seems to be changing his mind about which plan to support, now prefering #2 ( no doubt politically motivated) and this seems to be causing some uncertainty with other legislators. Most believe that plan #1 would have been easier to pass.

Here is the Herald article.

LEGISLATURE | SPORTS
Dade lawmaker unsure about Marlins subsidy
A proposal that would cut the Florida Marlins a one-time, $32.6 million check is facing trouble from Miami-Dade lawmakers.
BY YUDY PINEIRO AND MARC CAPUTO
ypineiro@MiamiHerald.com

TALLAHASSEE -- The Miami-Dade delegation's long-sought attempt to use tax money to build a new Florida Marlins baseball park is experiencing resistance from the unexpected: Miami-Dade's own delegation members.

Noting the state's stingy budget that cuts services for the developmentally disabled, Miami Sen. Alex Diaz de la Portilla is balking at the price tag of a new economic development package that would help the Marlins. The proposal: Take about $100 million from the state's budget and divide it equally among three teams: the Marlins, the Tampa Bay Lightning hockey team and the Orlando Magic.

But Sen. Rudy Garcia of Hialeah said he believes his fellow Republican senator -- and sometime-rival -- might have a ''political agenda.'' Diaz de la Portilla verbally agreed on the plan last week.

Diaz de la Portilla said he has had a ''gut check'' since that discussion and since he voted for a bill that cuts up to $120 million in services for mentally and physically disabled people. He's considering changing his vote.

''Before we take care of billionaires, we need to take care of the neediest and poorest citizens,'' said Diaz de la Portilla, a Republican, echoing the sentiment of black lawmakers and Democrats.

Diaz de la Portilla's solution: Revert to language in rival bills filed by both him and Garcia to extend a $2 million yearly subsidy for a Marlins ballpark. Through a procedural move, Diaz de la Portilla has filed a number of amendments to the new bill to ensure the language sticks. The bill is supposed to be heard today at the Senate's Transportation and Economic Development Appropriations, but could be postponed.

REPEAT SUBSIDY

The Marlins subsidy has died year after year for a variety of reasons. The main argument against it: The Marlins franchise received it in the 1990s under a previous owner.

This year, though, lawmakers support giving the Marlins and all other nine professional sports franchises in the state the same break. But they say the state can't commit to a year-after-year expense as the budget slows. Instead, they want to spend a relative surplus of one-time money for one-time projects, such as the Marlins stadium.

Sen. Mike Fasano, a New Port Richey Republican who chairs the economic development committee, said he thought the $100 million plan was perfect. Until now.

`QUITE SHOCKED'

''I'm quite shocked at what I'm hearing and what I'm finding out. I'm shocked there's opposition to the bill with someone who said he was OK with it,'' Fasano said.

The bill would have these safeguards: The facility must be owned by local governments in Orlando, Tampa and Miami. The team has to stay in the state for 15 years and have an attendance of 300,000 a year. At least $60 million of local money must be invested.

Garcia said if the proposal doesn't have backing, he's willing to go back to the subsidy option -- as long as Miami-Dade County and Miami get the $30 million they're missing to build the Marlins a $490 million publicly-owned stadium.

Democrats are criticizing the notion of spending money to help sports teams but not the poor.

House members won't support the $100 million plan, said state Rep. David Rivera, a Miami Republican who controls the flow of legislation on the floor of the chamber. He said the 30-year subsidy has more appeal because it's supposed to operate as a rebate in which the state remits dollar-for-dollar sales-tax collections on the first $2 million each year.

Said Diaz de la Portilla: ``It's a good idea at the wrong time.''

fauowls44

Muckdog
Reaction score
I read that this morning. I wonder how much the Senator received for his "gut check". I'm so sick of these politicians changing their support everyother day. One day they are all standing there pledging their support and the next, some special interest group gets in their ear and they run the other way. This can't get resolved soon enough, i'm tired of all of these articles.

As for the proposals, I suppose it really doesn't matter which one gets passed, as they essentially accomplish the same thing. I wasn't aware that the $100 million lump sum plan was even an option before this story came out.

gj4marlins

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well it looks like Diaz de la Portilla's political play caused the Bill to be Temporarily Postponed
today by the Transportation and Economic Development Appropriations Committee. Any word
or updates on where this leaves the entire process is of course welcomed. Another year - Same BS
:banghead

On a positive note in the House HB1079 is in readings and almost to the floor to the house. Hopefully this bill survives
and ultimitely gets us the rebate of the 2 Million a Year.

fauowls44

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well I guess being temporarily postponed is better than not getting passed. I know that it was reported that Sen. Garcia was trying to get it postponed after Diaz de la Portilla balked yesterday so hopefully this is a good thing rather than trying to get something that wouldn't pass heard in committee.

As for the House bill, can someone explain what is going on as far as the readings and what that means and when it will be heard? Thanks

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The House bill, if passed, would be given to the Senate floor for amendment/vote/comment.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
The House bill, if passed, would be given to the Senate floor for amendment/vote/comment.

do we have dates for either?

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't see this getting done now. . . And who knows if it ever gets done

We have South floridians leading both the house and senate, and we can get it done. this churning is getting ridiculous

IrishHarrington

Muckdog
Reaction score
the south florida delegation has always been the root of the failure to get a stadium deal done whether it be at the state or local level , i have to admit i dont have much confidence that this will get done

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not worried about this. Just the Senate being the Senate. The House side getting their part done will put the heat on the Senate because they would have a bill passed one the other side to look at and possibly vote up or down on.

miamibaseball

Muckdog
Reaction score
we could be hearing about moving out soon again or team been taking apart i have e-mail Diaz de la Portilla alot time he donot write back so i might not vote for him if donot help us get ballpark

we have ONLY TWO week LEFT here we go again with mildnight stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead

BasesLoadedWalk

Muckdog
Reaction score
Perhaps a date with the popcorn machine is in order. ;)

Ah, who knows? Maybe Cape's scenario would do the trick. Maybe not.

FishFan89

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not worried about this. Just the Senate being the Senate. The House side getting their part done will put the heat on the Senate because they would have a bill passed one the other side to look at and possibly vote up or down on.

Cape, thats just wishful thinking. Im working over there and not to many senators seem thrilled about this. Not to mention it got temporarily passed in committee today. That basically means not enough votes yes or no so it has to be voted on next meeting.

Lets hope...ill let you all know next week as soon as the meeting gets out, noon at latest.

FishFan24

Muckdog
Reaction score

Alright, I'm keeping my confidence up because of you. Here's hoping that you are right about this :cheers

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score

Alright, I'm keeping my confidence up because of you. Here's hoping that you are right about this :cheers
Please revert to pessimism...I don't want anyone disappointed if it doesn't happen. :lol

fauowls44

Muckdog
Reaction score
This could really go either way, there is no way to judge at this point. For the next two weeks there will be all sorts of rhetoric on this subject and I wouldn't put much stock in any of it. Last year, nobody expected the issue to be heard and then it ends up passing in the Senate right at the last minute. This will once again go down to the wire. Hopefully things break our way for once.

FishFan89

Muckdog
Reaction score
Am I invisible? Its not for the next two weeks, its next tuesday! Thats the big day. If it doesnt get passed in the committee then its done in the senate.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
This could really go either way, there is no way to judge at this point. For the next two weeks there will be all sorts of rhetoric on this subject and I wouldn't put much stock in any of it. Last year, nobody expected the issue to be heard and then it ends up passing in the Senate right at the last minute. This will once again go down to the wire. Hopefully things break our way for once.

so its tuesday may 1st, thats two weeks from today?

Am I invisible? Its not for the next two weeks, its next tuesday! Thats the big day. If it doesnt get passed in the committee then its done in the senate.

jk

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know that....problem is the Senate is way behind in everything. The House is working on passing bills and resolutions while the Senate is still in committee.

fauowls44

Muckdog
Reaction score

Ok fine, Tuesday then...sorry! :whistle

The sooner the better.

Top Bottom