What's new

Starting pitchers worth claiming?

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
Rotoworld seems to think that Beinfest will be claiming a SP off of waivers in the next few days, for the fact that we traded away our 6th starter in Petit, and really have no one who can immediately jump into the starting rotation in case of another injury, etc. Rotoworld states that right now, our best internal candidate would be Wes Obermueller, but that there may be a better SP or two to be had via waivers.

What do you guys think? Have you seen any names of starting pitchers who might be worth claiming? Or do you think that we'll just go with what we have, and if the time comes, use Obermueller or call up someone from AA?

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
Obermueller was miserable as a starter so I hope to God it's not him.

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
March 29th, via Rotoworld:
Diamondbacks claimed RHP J.D. Durbin off waivers from the Twins.
A couple of months after getting Alex Romero off waivers, Josh Byrnes takes from Terry Ryan again. Durbin is out of options, so he could go right back on the waiver wire this weekend. He's not ready to help out now after giving up 11 runs in eight innings this spring, but arms like his don't become available every day.

Does this mean that IF he did go back through waivers, and IF we did claim him, that we'd have to keep him on our major league roster since he's out of options? He put up pretty salty stats in AAA last year, until he got injured.

From mlb.com player profile:

Pitcched entire season at Triple-A Rochester...tossed 4.0 no-hit innings in his first appearance on April 10 at Pawtucket...was 3-1, 1.83 (39.1 ip, 8 er) over a span of six starts in May...recorded consecutive wins on May 9 and May 14 tossing 12.1 innings while allowing three earned runs on 10 hits...tossed a season high 8.0 innings May 30 at Toledo...won four of five decisions from May 9 to June 4 going 4-1, 1.35 (40.0 ip, 6 er) with 34 strikeouts...recorded a season high nine strikeouts June 19 vs. Toledo...pitched 6-plus innings in nine of his 16 starts...held righthanded batters to a .189 (36-for-190) batting average with two home runs...was 2-2, 1.62 (44.1 ip, 8 er) with an opponent batting average of .174 (26-for-149) in eight road starts...tossed just 1.2 innings in his last start on June 29 at Indianapolis after facing just five batters...disabled for remainder of season with right biceps tendinitis, July 5.

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
The fact that we don't even need a 5th starter for a while suggests that we aren't going to be in a rush to get a 6th. This team isn't set up for a playoff run, therefore we aren't going to have the depth of some of the better teams. If one starter goes down, we will bring a prospect up to replace him.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
I am guess Gaby will get the first nod (Or close to first).

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
They'd probably throw Gregg for a spot start.
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score

I wasn't aware Gregg had starting experience. It really depends on what role he takes in the pen. I can't see him spot starting if he is a primary setup man, but if he is then Pinto isn't so one of them is sure to go.

The problem is, we're talking about spot starts. If another starter goes down, which is likely to happen at some point, are we really ready to address that situation? Is Gaby ready, or is Garcia?

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score

I wasn't aware Gregg had starting experience. It really depends on what role he takes in the pen. I can't see him spot starting if he is a primary setup man, but if he is then Pinto isn't so one of them is sure to go.

The problem is, we're talking about spot starts. If another starter goes down, which is likely to happen at some point, are we really ready to address that situation? Is Gaby ready, or is Garcia?
In the scenario presented it would be Gabby time

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
I was hoping we'd claim higher upside players for Gardner and Wood's spot

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
I was hoping we'd claim higher upside players for Gardner and Wood's spot

I'm not so sure that Gardner doesn't have upside. Wood, maybe not, but I expect his spot will be filled eventually with acquisitions similar to the one's we made last year (Borchard, Ross).

Top Bottom