What's new

Strongest Team In Baseball

Reaction score
Sportsnation, on ESPN.COM is doing views on the strongest teams in the MLB. The Fish are currently 20th, which I think is a little low for what we have, excluding any injuries.

I realize it is not even spring training yet but have fun and see how your list compares to "sportsnations."

P.S. THIS IS BASED ON ENTIRE ROSTERS (25 Men)

1. NYY
2. BOS
3. DET
4. NYM
5. STL
6. CWS
7. LAD
8. MIN
9. CHC
10. LAA
11. PHI
12. OAK
13. TOR
14. CLE
15. SD
16. HOU
17. ATL
18. SF
19. TEX
20. FLA
21. MIL
22. CIN
23. ARZ
24. SEA
25. COL
26. KC
27. BAL
28. PIT
29. WAS
30. TB

1. NYY
2. BOS
3. DET
4. LA
5. STL
6. NYM
7. CHC
8. CHW
9. MIN
10. OAK
11. CLE
12. PHI
13. SD
14. TOR
15. HOU

16. FLA
17. ATL
18. SF
19. TEX
20. MIL

21-30...does it even matter?

Reaction score
The Reds aren't 22nd.

I was thinking more along the lines of 23-24th myself. I think the most improved team this year will be the Texas Rangers.

markotsay7

I agree with the Marlins ranking actually (I put them 19th).

Cincy will be higher if Junior can actually have a full healthy season.

1. NYY
2. BOS
3. DET
4. LAD
5. CWS
6. LAA
7. NYM
8. STL
9. MIN
10. PHI
11. CHC
12. TOR
13. CLE
14. OAK
15. TEX
16. SD
17. HOU
18. ATL
19. FLA
20. MIL
21. SF
22. CIN
23. ARZ
24. SEA
25. KC
26. COL
27. BAL
28. TB
29. PIT
30. WAS

Reaction score
I think the D-Backs have a chance to be very good also. Randy johnson, brandon webb, livan hernandez, juan cruz, and doug davis rotation- all those young studs like Stephen Drew, Montero, Chris Young, Conor Jackson, Tracy, and Carlos Quentin.

Reaction score
Kansas City should not be ahead of Baltimore.

Well, KC will probably get more wins in their division than Baltimore will in their division.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Atlanta
4. Toronto
5. New York (AL)
6. Philadelphia
7. Chicago (NL)
8. Oakland
9. Anaheim
10. Milwaukee
11. Chicago (AL)
12. San Diego
13. Los Angeles
14. Minnesota
15. Detroit
16. Arizona
17. St. Louis
18. New York (NL)
19. San Francisco
20. Florida
21. Texas
22. Cincinnati
23. Houston
24. Pittsburgh
25. Baltimore
26. Colorado
27. Tampa Bay
28. Kansas City
29. Seattle
30. Washington

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
if Boston trades for Helton...holy smokes what an on base juggernaut.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Reds aren't 22nd.

I was thinking more along the lines of 23-24th myself. I think the most improved team this year will be the Texas Rangers.
?

We finished 80-82 last year, and didn't lose anybody of that much note. We also added a solid SP, a solid RP, a great defensive SS, and our platoon 1B with Hatteberg. Plus the X-Factor is Homer. If we finish 23rd I will be very dissapointed.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
The Reds aren't 22nd.

?

We finished 80-82 last year, and didn't lose anybody of that much note. We also added a solid SP, a solid RP, a great defensive SS, and our platoon 1B with Hatteberg. Plus the X-Factor is Homer. If we finish 23rd I will be very dissapointed.
Your SP 3-5 flat out stink, and let's be fair. Arroyo is a solid pitcher, but he was over his head those 2 months he was just killing people. I think the bullpen is pretty horrid, Phillips won't be as good, etc... I wouldn't base the record performance for 2007 off last year, where the NL central was pretty terrible. Chicago and Milwaukee are going to be much better teams this year, and St. Louis will keep on being St. Louis. Reds won't start getting better until Bruce and Bailey turn into the mega studs they can be, and they keep the Dunn, Encarnacion, Harang, Arroyo, Phillips, Bray, etc core together. I can see them around .500 in a best case scenario, but if they finish above 4th in the division I'll be surprised.

IrishHarrington

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Yankees are always the best on paper but I dont think anyone here actually thinks they will win the world series .

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Reds aren't 22nd.

?

Your SP 3-5 flat out stink, and let's be fair. Arroyo is a solid pitcher, but he was over his head those 2 months he was just killing people. I think the bullpen is pretty horrid, Phillips won't be as good, etc... I wouldn't base the record performance for 2007 off last year, where the NL central was pretty terrible. Chicago and Milwaukee are going to be much better teams this year, and St. Louis will keep on being St. Louis. Reds won't start getting better until Bruce and Bailey turn into the mega studs they can be, and they keep the Dunn, Encarnacion, Harang, Arroyo, Phillips, Bray, etc core together. I can see them around .500 in a best case scenario, but if they finish above 4th in the division I'll be surprised.
Milton is inconsistent. He had 14 quality starts of his 26 and in those quality starts he had a 3 ERA. Loshe is a league average 4th starter, and Saarloos has a career 4.43 ERA and is an extreme GB pitcher that is going to be helped out by our ballpark and being in the NL. I don't think out 3-5 is horrible by any means. I actually think Krivsky has done a good job rebuilding the staff and making it pretty decent. The bullpen isn't horrid. Weathers and Stanton are both old, but solid. I expect Majewski to return to his career normal. Coffey is solid. Bray is going to be good. It's not great, but it's not horrid either.

Every year Milwaukee is supposed to be improved and they flop. The Cubs have no pitching. I'll take the Reds pitching 7 days a week and twice on Sunday's over the Cubs.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Milton is inconsistent. He had 14 quality starts of his 26 and in those quality starts he had a 3 ERA. Loshe is a league average 4th starter, and Saarloos has a career 4.43 ERA and is an extreme GB pitcher that is going to be helped out by our ballpark and being in the NL. I don't think out 3-5 is horrible by any means. I actually think Krivsky has done a good job rebuilding the staff and making it pretty decent. The bullpen isn't horrid. Weathers and Stanton are both old, but solid. I expect Majewski to return to his career normal. Coffey is solid. Bray is going to be good. It's not great, but it's not horrid either.

Every year Milwaukee is supposed to be improved and they flop. The Cubs have no pitching. I'll take the Reds pitching 7 days a week and twice on Sunday's over the Cubs.
I don't really like any of the pitchers on the roster besides Harang, Arroyo, and Bray. Maybe some of them are solid, but nothing really "good."

And the Cubs have no pitching? What? Zambrano, R. Hill (whose going to be amazing), Lilly, W. Miller, Marquis, Marshall for starters, not even including Prior that's better then the Reds options, and a sick bullpen of wood, howry, cotts, wuertz, ohman, dempster, eyre, novoa, matero. They have one of the best pens in baseball. I think Chicago is going to murder the division. I'm not a cubs fan, so I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but I can't imagine anyone saying the Cubs have no pitching. They have a lot of good arms, and if Prior can get it together, watch out.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score

I don't really like any of the pitchers on the roster besides Harang, Arroyo, and Bray. Maybe some of them are solid, but nothing really "good."

And the Cubs have no pitching? What? Zambrano, R. Hill (whose going to be amazing), Lilly, W. Miller, Marquis, Marshall for starters, not even including Prior that's better then the Reds options, and a sick bullpen of wood, howry, cotts, wuertz, ohman, dempster, eyre, novoa, matero. They have one of the best pens in baseball. I think Chicago is going to murder the division. I'm not a cubs fan, so I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but I can't imagine anyone saying the Cubs have no pitching. They have a lot of good arms, and if Prior can get it together, watch out.
Lilly is a .500 pitcher
R. Hill is a 27 year old prospect who's never done anything.
Marshall has a 5.5 ERA last year.
Wade Miller? Always hurt.
Wood? Hurt
Priot? Hurt
Dempster blows.
Howry and Erye are pretty good. I'll give you that.
Cotts couldn't get anybody out last year.
Ohman is bad.
Novoa is bad.

You need to go check out some stats, bro.
Matero?

ERA's last year:
Cotts: 5.17
Marquis: 6.02
Marshall: 5.59
Mateo: 5.32
OhmanL 4.13 (decent)
Novoa: 4.26
Marmol: 6.08
Demster: 4.80
Guzman: 7.39
Miller: 4.57

Lilly has a career record of 59-58
Hill has a 5.12 career ERA

The Cubs have 3 piychers. Zambrano, Erye, and Howry.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
4. Toronto
really? you think they'll have enough to get past boston and new york?

I doubting if they have enough starting pitching (correct me, if these aren't them):
Halladay
Burnett
Chacin
Thomson
Ohka

I don't think they have much of an infield (including a catcher) either. I think the bosox are a much better team, same with the yanks.

overbay or youkilis
hill/mcdonald or pedroia
clayton or lugo
glaus or lowell
zaun or varitek
wells or crisp
r. johnson or manny
rios or drew
thomas or papi

blue jays: 3 ......sox:5

not to mention the sox have beckett, schilling, matsusaka...the jays have halladay and AJ.
I think pedroia will be better than hill/mcdonald by mid-season. youk/overbay is a tossup.

Fallen Apple

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pitching wins games and we have alot more than many people i know we can do better than 20th place thats for sure

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there after actually making the list.

It's almost impossible to make a case for the Mets to be top-8 and for the Marlins to be higher than 20.

Top Bottom