What's new

Subtle Changes

Bradcore

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
I've once again decided I need to get into shape, so I've decided to make some changes.

First, my diet. Instead of eating crackers and chips whenever I get the munchies, I'll grab an apple or banana. So far, this seems to actually be working pretty well and seems to sustain me better than the former.

Secondly, I'll try to eat breakfast more often. If I don't have the opportunity to make a bowl of cereal or cook breakfast, I'll grab a banana. It did the trick surprisingly well yesterday.

Thirdly, no more driving everywhere. If I need to go to the bank, an eatery, Wal-Mart, video store, or if I'm working in town, I'm gonna walk there. The gas prices will only help me keep with this this routine.

Finally, I'm gonna cut down on beer and soda. I drink entirely too much of both. I'll stick with water, juice, and milk as often as I can.

Flamarlins3

Muckdog
Reaction score
cutting down on beer? I'm going to pretend you didn't say that.

Bradcore

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
cutting down on beer? I'm going to pretend you didn't say that.

By cutting down on beer, I mean I'm not going to drink a case of the Yeti (Milwaukee's Best Ice) every night any more. I'm most likely going to still have real beer a few times a week.

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Don't forget to eat from subway everyday so you can be the next jared.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
A simple quick tip for those looking to loose weight/get in better shape would be cut out the soda (people usually have no idea how much calories a single can has) in their diet if they drink it regularly.

Some simple jogging can do wonders as well.

If you'd want some more advance stuff or have any questions, I'd be glad to help. I was a personal trainer over the last three years.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
A simple quick tip for those looking to loose weight/get in better shape would be cut out the soda (people usually have no idea how much calories a single can has) in their diet if they drink it regularly.

Some simple jogging can do wonders as well.

If you'd want some more advance stuff or have any questions, I'd be glad to help. I was a personal trainer over the last three years.
I wouldn't say I've gained a large amount of weight but considering I've weighed 150 pounds my whole life it was a pretty big shock when I gained 15 pounds after graduating college and sat my happy ass behind a desk for the next 4 years.

Fox are you aware if any of these newer Soda's are still ok to drink when trying to cut down a few pounds? New ones such as Coke Zero and Sprite Zero? I've tried to cut all soda out of my diet but i keep the "Zero's" in the house when i crave a soda. I drink mainly Gaterade and water.

Nice topic bradcore as I have been trying to shave a few pounds recently as well.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well if you really want to get serious, you could cut out artificial sweetners and refined sugars which all zero products are still going to contain.

Be careful with the Gatorade too if you aren't doing much exercise, it contains a ton of calories especially the new specialty brands of it.

I only drink Gatorade to re-fuel my body after a heavy aerobic session, I do a 8-mile run and a 4-mile run a day, 6 times a week, and I only drink Gatorade after that along with a bunch of fruit (bananas) and a energy bar.

I'd think about getting hydrated. Few people drink near the right ammount of water and not try to act like I know how much you intake but you should probably concentrate on drinking more water if because of your job you have to be behind a desk a lot.

Here's what I do for my hydration - I have a quart (32 oz) sized water bottle that I keep with me during the day and I try to intake about 4 quarts a day, depending on your exercise you may want to drink more (I drink 7). It will be tough at first and you feel like you are peeing all the time but your body will get used to it and like you for it and eventually your urine will turn nearly clear. You won't be considered dehydrated anymore, it will improve your complexion and it will help you when you try to exercise in the future.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thanks man that was very useful. I'm not the working out type, I generally use hockey to stay in shape 12 months a year so I bring a 64 oz jug of ice water with me to each game and use Gatorade after the game. I think what's also important to me is to cut coffee out of my diet as well. I probably drink a cup a day 2 at the most at work. I should replace the coffee with more water.

I'd love to get myself on a steady excercise plan but work really gets in the way. Do you do alot of your exercising early in the morning or later in the day after work hours? If so how many days a week do you get to the gym?

I've been pretty lucky my whole life to be atheletic and always be in shape but I can notice a small let down since leaving college and since I stopped being so active and sit around at work 5 days a week. I still do alot of swimming and hockey playing on the weekends.

Do you also know of any good websites that would give you more tips on getting into a steady exercise plan? I'd love to be able to do some things around my house instead of getting to the gym everyday.

Thanks again for your input Fox and anyone else.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I work out (aerobically) both in the morning and at night and now only go to the gym 3 times a week for heavy lifting (bench, squats, etc) and I have a set of free weights at the house I use every day. If you want to get in to a steady routine of running/jogging it would probably be beneficial to get a partner or group of people to run with, I've been running with a group of guys for the past three years makes it a lot better experience especially when you start out.

Here are some things you may want to try doing from home to start out with (you know your body so these may be too low too high but you want to push yourself):

Situps (100 full)
Pushups (40)
Lunges (Spread feet 14-16 inches apart, right leg in front of left, upper body upright, move your weight forward and both knees should bend with your back leg moving the most, hold for 10 seconds a time)
Calf raises (get a chair, hold on to the chair, keep your feet together and lift off your toes, you should only feel it in your calfs)

My personal favorite is if you have stairs in your house or close by (at least 3) and some weights (something over 10 lbs, I use 25) do step ups, all three stairs without turning around in 3-5 minute increments 3 different times. This will really work your obliques, abs, arms, and legs and you can burn a lot of calories this way if you work up a good sweat.

If you start doing that everyday with the activity you do on the weekend you should be able to maintain a good fitness level quickly.

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score
I started walking regularly in March and with a couple breaks in between due to school work issues, I've managed to drop about 15 pounds or so.

It really does wonders to get walking from anywhere past a half hour on at a good pace thats not too fast or too slow.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
I work out (aerobically) both in the morning and at night and now only go to the gym 3 times a week for heavy lifting (bench, squats, etc) and I have a set of free weights at the house I use every day. If you want to get in to a steady routine of running/jogging it would probably be beneficial to get a partner or group of people to run with, I've been running with a group of guys for the past three years makes it a lot better experience especially when you start out.

Here are some things you may want to try doing from home to start out with (you know your body so these may be too low too high but you want to push yourself):

Situps (100 full)
Pushups (40)
Lunges (Spread feet 14-16 inches apart, right leg in front of left, upper body upright, move your weight forward and both knees should bend with your back leg moving the most, hold for 10 seconds a time)
Calf raises (get a chair, hold on to the chair, keep your feet together and lift off your toes, you should only feel it in your calfs)

My personal favorite is if you have stairs in your house or close by (at least 3) and some weights (something over 10 lbs, I use 25) do step ups, all three stairs without turning around in 3-5 minute increments 3 different times. This will really work your obliques, abs, arms, and legs and you can burn a lot of calories this way if you work up a good sweat.

If you start doing that everyday with the activity you do on the weekend you should be able to maintain a good fitness level quickly.
Excellent Fox. I will give your "at home" methods a try. I should have enough time before and after work to get something going. Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice bro. :thumbup

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score

Situps (100 full)
Pushups (40)

I'm going to start doing the at home thing, since I've always had trouble getting into the gym mode. This seems much less hectic and it's much easier to do at my own pace, which is nice.

I'm not looking for massive weight loss here, but I'd like to be in shape.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Excellent Fox. I will give your "at home" methods a try. I should have enough time before and after work to get something going. Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice bro. :thumbup
I'm going to start doing the at home thing, since I've always had trouble getting into the gym mode. This seems much less hectic and it's much easier to do at my own pace, which is nice.

I'm not looking for massive weight loss here, but I'd like to be in shape.
Sweet, let me know how it is going, guys. :thumbup

Definitely at least try the step ups if you can, its going to be a bitch and seem monotonous but it will really help what I mentioned above.

Bradcore

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to do a photo log of my progress. Like, I'll take a photo every two weeks or something. Plus, I feel it will give me more motivation.

juanpierre

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm going to do a photo log of my progress. Like, I'll take a photo every two weeks or something. Plus, I feel it will give me more motivation.

That's a good idea, most people get frustrated with how there plan is going because they look in the mirror and dont see any change. Using pictures will help you notice the "subtile changes" which you alluded to earlier. Also keep measurements of your body fat percentages every week to chart your progress. You can get a good pair of calipers for about 20 bucks.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've been thinking about starting a health thread for awhile now, fitness is a huge part of my life. Fox already had some great recommendations, if you haven't been in a gym/active for awhile calisthenics and aerobics.

Also, my first thought as I was going thru this thread is to be careful of the juices and Gatorades, they can be just as bad as soda. Loaded with sugars and calories.

One piece of equipment I would look into getting is a swiss ball(you can get one for 25 bucks). IMO the most important part of your body to work out is the core(this is also the most ignored part with most guys I see in the gym). With a strong core you can do so much more in the gym, and a swiss ball allows you to do a ton of exercises right in your house and you'll be waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the game when/if you start lifting.

I really hope you do start a photo log Brad, it's a great way to stay motivated and I'm sure you'll get some great advice/motivation from this board.

http://www.ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=35

Oh yea...pick up a Men's Health magazine or just subscribe. :thumbup

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Good point Godfather, the core is the most important part for sure.

I totally know what you mean about people not focusing on this in gyms and such. I've seen plenty of guys over the years who lift to get huge and look huge but their actual strength sucks as does their stamina and general fitness levels. Just big, top heavy goons.

That is why I advocate running so much to people, if you have a correct/good upright running stance, you can develop a great core and great overall body.

That said, you may not be able to do that if you don't have a good/have a bad core. If anyone would like a bunch of core exercises recommended I'd be happy to provide some.

Swiss balls are definitely a good tool. People may know of them as an exercise ball, body ball, gym ball, etc.

I'm more of a medicine ball guy myself, but you can use a swiss ball for many more exercises.

METSrosexual

Muckdog
Reaction score
Good point Godfather, the core is the most important part for sure.

I totally know what you mean about people not focusing on this in gyms and such. I've seen plenty of guys over the years who lift to get huge and look huge but their actual strength sucks as does their stamina and general fitness levels. Just big, top heavy goons.

That is why I advocate running so much to people, if you have a correct/good upright running stance, you can develop a great core and great overall body.

That said, you may not be able to do that if you don't have a good/have a bad core. If anyone would like a bunch of core exercises recommended I'd be happy to provide some.

Swiss balls are definitely a good tool. People may know of them as an exercise ball, body ball, gym ball, etc.

I'm more of a medicine ball guy myself, but you can use a swiss ball for many more exercises.

How the hell do you do push ups on Swiss Balls?? Ive tried, but it keeps moving around and it seems really hard to get a steady position.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've once again decided I need to get into shape, so I've decided to make some changes.

First, my diet. Instead of eating crackers and chips whenever I get the munchies, I'll grab an apple or banana. So far, this seems to actually be working pretty well and seems to sustain me better than the former.

Secondly, I'll try to eat breakfast more often. If I don't have the opportunity to make a bowl of cereal or cook breakfast, I'll grab a banana. It did the trick surprisingly well yesterday.

Thirdly, no more driving everywhere. If I need to go to the bank, an eatery, Wal-Mart, video store, or if I'm working in town, I'm gonna walk there. The gas prices will only help me keep with this this routine.

Finally, I'm gonna cut down on beer and soda. I drink entirely too much of both. I'll stick with water, juice, and milk as often as I can.

I would say cut the juice all together if possible. 8 ounces of OJ has more caloires than a light beer. Make sure you eat breakfast, then try to add a small 4th meal so that you are eating every 3 hours to keep your metabolism going. I used to eat 10 egg whites (only has 150 calories) as my 4th meal. NEVER ever skip breafast.

If you want soda drink only diet. Think about it if you stopped drinking soda and juice you probably can shave off over 250 calories a day (assuming you dont drink diet soda).

As for beer, switch to miller lite. When I was on a diet I started drinking that because 6 miller lites was the same amount of calories as 5 bud lights.

Lastly, try and drink green tea if possible. Besides all the antioxidents it has, it can raise your metabolism by 4% a day. So lets say you consumer 2200 calories a day, you burn off 88 of them just by drinking tea. 88 doesnt sound like a lot but thats 9 pounds over the course of a year. The caffeine also serves as a hunger suppressant.

This is a really easy way to lose weight. Walk, get rid of the juices and soda and drink some green tea (if you want) and you will lose weight without much effort.

Top Bottom