Sun-Sentinel piece on Dontrelle

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Chat with McKeon lights a fire under Willis
By Juan C. Rodriguez
Staff Writer
Posted May 16 2003

LOS ANGELES ? Dontrelle Willis wasn't willing to provide a transcript of his fifth-inning conversation on the mound with manager Jack McKeon on Wednesday night.
The Marlins were up four runs with one out in the fifth at Qualcomm Stadium when Willis issued his fourth walk to Mark Loretta. That's when McKeon emerged and directed a few animated comments to the 21-year-old left-hander.
"The things he said to me you can't write in the paper, but they were things I needed to hear," Willis said. "He didn't sugarcoat it."
The censored version of McKeon's message was to pitch like the team has a four-run lead or he would find someone else that would. Willis responded by recording the final two outs and securing his first major league victory as part of the Marlins' series-clinching 10-3 win.
"I wanted to make sure everybody was on the same page," said McKeon, who gave Willis the lineup card and game ball. "I'm in the dugout rooting for him [to finish the fifth]. I don't want to take him out, but I want to win the game."

Full Sun Sentinel Article link, more stuff inside

This is exactly what you want in a manager, "hey kid, you either do your job or its back to Zebulon" (the Carolina Mudcats). No hand-holding, no reluctant parent feeling guilty for punishing their kid, just a life lesson plain and simple. If Torborg was still here he would have sent out Arnie to love bomb him into a five run inning.

Jack thanks a million, I'm glad you're here.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i agree with you Marlins2003...

Welcome to the Marlins TJ....good to have you :thumbup

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Welcome to the Marlins TJ....good to have you :thumbup
TJ? :confused

Edit: Never Mind, Trader Jack.. :banghead

Latest posts