What's new

Super Early 2020 Mock Draft has the Marlins Taking Emerson Hancock

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
I know it's super early and the offseason has not even started, but Baseball America released an early mock draft for picks 1-10:

1. Tigers — Austin Martin, SS/OF, Vanderbilt
2. Orioles — Spencer Torkelson, 1B/OF, Arizona State
3. Marlins — Emerson Hancock, RHP, Georgia
4. Royals — Nick Gonzales, 2B, New Mexico State
5. Blue Jays — Asa Lacy, LHP, Texas A&M
6. Mariners — Casey Martin, SS, Arkansas
7. Pirates — Jared Kelley, RHP, Refugio (Texas) HS
8. Padres — Mick Abel, RHP, Jesuit HS, Portland
9. Rockies — Carmen Mlodzinski, RHP, South Carolina
10. Angels — Austin Hendrick, OF, West Allegheny HS, Imperial, Pa.

Emerson Hancock is 6' 4". Here is his scouting report:

This comes from Baseball America:
Some Georgia area scouts see Hancock as the No. 2 pitching prospect in the state behind lefthander D.L. Hall. The ace of the Syrupmakers has a highly projectable 6-foot-4 frame with room to pack on more muscle, and his plus arm speed has scouts dreaming on his upside. Hancock has been a two-way player in high school, playing shortstop when he doesn't pitch, and scouts believe he'll truly take off when he becomes a pitcher-only. He pitches in the low 90s and some scouts have seen him reach as high as 96 this spring. His best offspeed pitch is his changeup, a low 80s offering with late dive and fading action; it projects as a plus pitch. His curveball is flashy but very inconsistent. Thrown in the mid-70s, the pitch sometimes shows long, loopy break and Hancock will occasionally slow his arm down and telegraph the pitch so that he can land it with depth in the strike zone. Sometimes, the pitch shows hard, 12-to-6 snap and looks like an above-average pitch, though Hancock has a long way to go with the pitch. His projection and three-pitch mix could entice a club to take a shot on him now. He is committed to Georgia, and could boost his draft stock by becoming a dominant weekend starter in the Southeastern Conference.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Mock drafts this early are kinda lame unless you're the most die hard draft fanatic but I'm all for the Marlins drafting Hancock only because of the great posts that will happen on this board if it happens.

Vic D

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think we need to continue to add bats with most of our top picks.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
Emerson Hancock sounds like a time traveler.

el_gmac

I don't like Mike Hill and Jeter
VIP
Reaction score

Michael

Jumbo Shrimp
VIP
Reaction score
Never heard of Through the Fence Baseball, but I did like that write-up.

Top Bottom