What's new

Synthetic grass and relocated fences coming to Marlins Park

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score

The Miami Marlins will install a synthetic grass surface at Marlins Park. The club is also adjusting the outfield dimensions in center field and right-center field, moving the fences in towards home plate.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Fake grass???? Fuck.

Edit: after reading it, yea I guess if they were still having trouble growing the grass and technology has improved the synthetic grass from the carpet like surface of the 70s and 80s then yea maybe this is for the better.

Last edited:

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
From the article:

Found this:

The Geofill® Performance Infill within the blades forms a firm surface similar to natural soil with lower energy rebound levels that closely mimic high-performance natural grass. Geofill is the leading natural “soil” infill in the industry — composed of 90% coconut and 10% naturally derived plant-based matter. The B1K surface also creates natural baseball bounce. The accompanying shock pad in the synthetic-grass system provides additional safety and performance benefits, including shock attenuation from contact with the surface.
They've also already started moving the walls:

Last edited:

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Fake grass???? Fuck.

Edit: after reading it, yea I guess if they were still having trouble growing the grass and technology has improved the synthetic grass from the carpet like surface of the 70s and 80s then yea maybe this is for the better.
Yeah, with the way the park is situated and the sun location to the south, much of the field is always in shade because the closed part of the park is on the south and west side, and I guess the grow lights can only help so much. I know I'd notice throughout the season large chunks of the outfield grass would be new/replaced mid-season.

---

It sounds like the fences are only moving in in center and right center - probably to where the bullpen starts (they have never relocated any of the video boards in center or the bullpens in either wall moving.

I also didn't see anything mentioned about wall height, so I'd have to assume that's remaining the same?

THRILLHO

Hammerhead
Reaction score
With the roof being closed the majority of the time and now a synthetic surface aren’t we all glad we sprung for the extra hundreds of millions of dollars for a roof that moves.

THRILLHO

Hammerhead
Reaction score
For the record these are welcome changes. Both the fences and the surface.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
It sounds like the fences are only moving in in center and right center - probably to where the bullpen starts (they have never relocated any of the video boards in center or the bullpens in either wall moving.

I also didn't see anything mentioned about wall height, so I'd have to assume that's remaining the same?
To be fair the 2016 changes in right and left field were good and good enough including wall height. These new changes just correct the parts of the field that were still deepest. No need to change anything beyond that.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
With all the things this ownership has to be dealing with at this point in the rebuild and the article says they made it a point to go personally inspect the synthetic grass at Chase Field... one can make jokes but one can also appreciate the work being put in to evaluate and improve every single aspect of this organization. I can't imagine Loria and Samson caring to improve the grass at Marlins Park.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score

I used to think it was stupid to complain about the deep dimensions of Marlins Park... baseball outfields have always varied and you deal with whatever ballpark you are in at the moment and just live with it was my mindset but over the years you see more moments like this one and then you realize maybe it's ok to stop penalizing hitters who do everything right and get punished when they would have been rewarded at another ballpark. As long as we don't make the dimensions jokingly small, these changes are ok.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
When will they come up with new jokes? These are so old and lame.

el_gmac

I don't like Mike Hill and Jeter
VIP
Reaction score
is that where they buried the black pussy ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom