What's new

Tarpley acquired for Nelson and cash

SongInTheAir

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Tarpley throws A LOT of pitches that aren't strikes. Wasn't the new narrative "we want pitchers who throw strikes" or something. Cheap Jeter knows strikes are more expensive.

SongInTheAir

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Pretty sure Brian Moran is actually better than Stephen Tarpley. I mean, grand scheme nothing about this trade matters, but I do think the Marlins got ever so slightly worse by (basically) swapping Moran for Tarpley.

(Unless they plan on using Tarpley as a starter, which is something Moran could not have done.)

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I do think we could use one more starter candidate to offset losing Richards and Cy Gallen. I wonder if that's what the Marlins see in Tarpley.

marlins_09

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pretty sure Brian Moran is actually better than Stephen Tarpley. I mean, grand scheme nothing about this trade matters, but I do think the Marlins got ever so slightly worse by (basically) swapping Moran for Tarpley.

(Unless they plan on using Tarpley as a starter, which is something Moran could not have done.)
Even if you think Moran is better (which I don’t), Tarpley is 4 years younger and has a higher ceiling. I’ll take that side of the flip all day

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
I didn't agree with keeping Moran on the roster this far, considering some of the other pitchers lost to waivers in recent moves. That said there's a decent chance he could remain with the organization, doubt many team will be willing to give up a spot for him this close to spring training.

yxnarbo

Muckdog
Reaction score
Former Yankee execs in our front office may know Tarpley well, could be a reason for the acquisition also. They may feel he's better than what he's shown in MLB so far.
8.6 K/9 rate in the minors, with a 1.18 WHIP in parts of seven seasons. Far better than the 5.96 ERA and 1.84 WHIP in a small major league sample size. Time will tell.

SongInTheAir

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Are Steve and Tarp Lee brothers, by the way? If not, what is Steve's last name? I know Tarp's is Lee, but why aren't they telling us Steve's?

Bret Hart

No.1 Korean Fish Fan
Reaction score
As a LOOGY, Moran was not a bad choice. But the rule was changed. Moran's slow pitching velocity wouldn't effective enough, FO thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom