What's new

TBS Bumps Announcers

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not a big story, but I could never stand Caray or van Wieren. They always rooted so heavily for the Braves, it was like they were on the team. I know most announcers are in favor of their team, but they went beyond that.

TBS Bumps Announcers Caray, Van Wieren

By KEITH PARSONS
.c The Associated Press

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) - Longtime announcers Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren won't be part of TBS' coverage of the Atlanta Braves at the start of the season as the cable network tries to lure more viewers.

Don Sutton and Joe Simpson, who've split television and radio duties with Caray and Van Wieren for the past several years, will be in the booth for 90 games on TBS.

Caray and Van Wieren, entering their 28th season with the Braves, will handle 36 games shown on Turner South, a regional cable network in only 6.5 million homes. By comparison, TBS can been seen in 87 million homes.

A release announcing the changes said they would help the station provide ``more balanced coverage of the games and in-depth analysis of the players and teams involved.'' The cable telecasts will have a new name, too - ``MLB on TBS.''

The move isn't permanent and will be subject to change.

``Throughout the offseason, we have been looking at ways to make our telecasts more appealing to baseball fans around the country,'' executive producer Mike Pearl said in a statement. ``Although the Atlanta Braves will still be one of the featured teams for each game, we believe these enhancements and changes will give fans of 'MLB on TBS' a more well-rounded telecast.''

For Caray and Van Wieren, it means a lot more time on the radio.

``I grew up doing radio. Radio got me here,'' Caray told The Associated Press. ``I was doing radio for the St. Louis Hawks, and I came to Atlanta when they did. Then they asked me if I could do TV, and I said sure.

``I lied like hell, but that's where it all started.''

Caray, the son of Hall of Fame announcer Harry Caray, isn't upset about leaving TBS for a smaller audience on Turner South.

``I'll be upset if the check doesn't get here Friday,'' he quipped. ``I've been working here for 33 years, and it's come every other Friday for all that time.

``If you get to broadcast the game, that's what matters.''

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Maybe now I can actually WATCH a game on TBS without falling asleep!

Those guys had an uncanny ability of calling a shutout with as much enthusiasm as a pair of golf announcers talking about some guy's double bogey... [zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz]

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Finally no more boring broadcasters!They dont get excited about anything...

MarlinsFans46

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not only boring, but they would always be suprised if the Marlins scored a run off one of their "great pitchers." I'm glad they're on Turner South now so we don't have to deal with them... :mischief

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hooey!

Who's hotter...

Skip Caray

or Erin Andrews?

I rest my case... :hat

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Sorry, the only other pictures I have of Erin are from the live video camera set up on my headboard...

:whistle

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
i see....

and maybe tbs will listen and show more erin as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom