What's new

The Book Thread

EndLine

Muckdog
Reaction score
This could work. :mischief

I'm starting to read graphic novels for the first time. Starting with Moore, obviously.

Other than that, I'm still plowing through Martin's ASoIaF. I also bought "Of Mice and Men" today because it was mentioned on Lost and it's a book that can be read fairly quickly. Usually it's assigned for high school but I was never required to read it.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Of Mice and Men is great. A well deserved classic.

I read a ton. Probably too much, as I tend to finish books in a few days and then have to find something new to read. Really looking forward to the new Harry Potter book, as lame as that may be.

Izzie

Muckdog
Reaction score
does anyone know a good book review site? amazon is okay but maybe a site just dedicated to that.

OldSand

Muckdog
Reaction score
Probably not a very intellectual book, but I ordered Alphabet of Manliness yesterday.

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
currently reading: "Post Office" by Bukowski
next up: "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" by Murakami

Mets_bs

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm on a calssic rock biography kick -- currently reading Captain Trips (Jerry Garcia) and Magical Mystery Tour (The Beatles).

Not reading it now, but I highly suggest The Rum Diary by HST. My second favorite work of his.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've got Fear and Loathing as my next book.

Its sad that it has taken me nearly 23 years of life to get around to that. I'm looking forward to it.

catchoftheday

Muckdog
Reaction score
im reading "marketing & advertising your small business"

next is the republic by Plato which i have been dying to read all my life and finally I decided to buy it.

Mets_bs

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've got Fear and Loathing as my next book.

Its sad that it has taken me nearly 23 years of life to get around to that. I'm looking forward to it.

Great book. One of the few landmark pieces of American literature. It can be a task to read, just because it's so draining. There's jsut so much to digest, I often read a few pages and had to re-read them because I didn't remember a thing about them. If you like it, try out Rum Diary. It's a semi-biographical piece about HST when he was a reporter in Puerto Rico. I also might suggest "On the Road" by Jack Keroauc. It's written in a similar vein.

METSrosexual

Muckdog
Reaction score
currently: "The Art Of Dreaming" by Carlos Castaneda
next: "Otras Inquisiciones" by Jorge Luis Borges

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
I just finished The Raw Shark Texts, it was a book that was getting a lot of hype, but I didn't think it was that great. The second half was really cliche and kind of boring. Next up is I,Lucifer thanks to a recommendation in the chat thread by I think the Bobs?

Like others in this thread, I read way too much.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Next up is I,Lucifer thanks to a recommendation in the chat thread by I think the Bobs?

Like others in this thread, I read way too much.

:cheers

Enjoy it! I'm thinking about reading it again pretty soon, once I get through Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman.

To anyone who is fanatical about pop music (or, in the case of Fargo Rock City, 80's glam metal), or really just fanatical about pop culture, Klosterman is a great read. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs is probably the best book to start with, but Killing Yourself To Live is one of my favorite books by him.

strandedx02

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm going to the bookstore later to see if anything catches my eye. I'll probably get Dying To Win by Robert Pape (about the motives of suicide terrorists), and Rant, the new Chuck Palahniuk novel.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
Top five favorite Novels?

1. Crime and Punishment Dostoevsky>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else.

2. American Psycho Probably the funniest book I've ever read.

3. All Men are Mortal

4. Lolita

5. Superfudge Yea I went there. Screw Harry Potter, this is the ultimate children's book.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Superfudge, for sure.

But Dostoevsky? Yawn. I appreciate that it is good literature, but I can't get through his stuff...

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Excluding the Bible:

1. Truman Capote - In Cold Blood
2. William Shakespeare - Julius Caesar
3. Doris Kearns Goodwin - Team of Rivals
4. JD Salinger - The Catcher In The Rye
5. Frank McCourt - Angela's Ashes

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
5. Frank McCourt - Angela's Ashes

Have you read Teacher Man?

I think it was even better than Ashes.

Here's another top 5 books list, probably different from the one I posted in Chat:

1. Life of Pi
2. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff Christ's Childhood Pal
3. High Fidelity
4. Me Talk Pretty One Day
5. Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs

I can't really pick my favorite books. There are so many out there, I often neglect the classics (Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye, which I love) for more contemporary stuff...

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah I read all three (including 'Tis) of McCourt's memoirs.

I'd probably rank them in their chronological order personally.

Top Bottom