What's new

The Chicago White Sox pitching

97tealblooded03

Muckdog
Reaction score
John Danks is getting shelled every time he goes out there.hes obliviously not ready for the big leagues. with a red hot Gio Gonzalez down in double A Birmingham and other quality starters in triple A Charlotte like Gavin Floyd and lance Broadway, do you think its time for the white sox to give Gio or Broadway a shot? i know Gio personally and let me tell you he will be ready when he gets the call and he will stay in the big leagues for a long time. Does anyone agree that its time for the white sox to give someone else a chance?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
he actually hasn't pitched that bad when you look at each individual game log

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
Is Floyd still promising, i remember when he was all the Phills fans would talk about, their guy who was gona top Dontrelle...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Anyone know Charlie Haeger's ETA?
All Star Break

he's ready, although he is getting hit pretty hard right now in AAA

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thank you sir.

I dislike the White Sox, but I am interested in Haeger's career.

beautox

Muckdog
Reaction score
John Danks is getting shelled every time he goes out there.hes obliviously not ready for the big leagues. with a red hot Gio Gonzalez down in double A Birmingham and other quality starters in triple A Charlotte like Gavin Floyd and lance Broadway, do you think its time for the white sox to give Gio or Broadway a shot? i know Gio personally and let me tell you he will be ready when he gets the call and he will stay in the big leagues for a long time. Does anyone agree that its time for the white sox to give someone else a chance?
Danks has pitched very very well for a rookie 5th starter. McCarthy isn't doing well at all, and going back to Friday the 20th against Detroit, well ill let the cheat break it down.

With 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd, Danks induced a high pop-up behind short from Magglio Ordonez. Juan Uribe raced under it, waved his arms as if to call off all other fielders, then at the last second he ran away from the ball as fast as he could. The runners were moving since there were 2 outs, leaving runners at 2nd and 3rd, and a tie game. That lone play is the difference between Danks current ERA of 5.06 and his theoretical ERA of 3.31 if Uribe doesn't hear any ghostly footsteps.
SSS

Hes gone against two of the best pitchers in MLB in Santana and Sabathia, and his offense has only scratched two runs across the board for him while hes on the mound, and the defense has been horrid, now eventually it will all even out, but by years end he will have a era south of 5 and possibly around 4.25; as it stands now he has a 5.32ERA & a 1.45WHIP.

For a little comparison of AL Central 5th starters
LHP John Danks 5.32ERA 1.45WHIP
RHP Fausto Carmona 3.76ERA 1.22WHIP
LHP Jorge De La Rosa 3.82ERA 1.21WHIP
RHP Chad Durbin 6.65ERA 1.34WHIP
RHP Sidney Ponson 8.44ERA 2.06WHIP

I've always liked Gio since the sox first drafted him, and i think the organization will give him his shot after this season when mark leaves via FA. the sox are going to be rebuilding, and its a bright future with Danks and Gio in the rotation, along with Egbert, and Russel; Floyd is still relatively young, his stuff has come back to him since being sent over. Ii believe he or Haeger will be the first ones to get the call followed by Phillips then prolly Gio, i doubt they want to start his ARB clock.

Is Haeger that knuckleballer?
yes, Hough has said he thinks its better than wakes, and as far as development for a knuckleballer Charlie is light years ahead of wake when he picked up the pitch. I'm very high on Charlie and i think he'll have a very long and successful ML career, the Chi Sox appear to be very high on him too from what Cooper and KW have said publically.

Craig

Muckdog
Reaction score

Sorry, I remembered seeing this question a while ago, but was lurking so I didn't answer. First of all, Danks has been really good this year for a rookie who basically hasn't pitched at all in triple a (although i'm sure you can see by now he's been good with his current numbers due to his recent performances). Floyd didn't get the #5 job over Danks this March (it was a battle between those 2) because of the fact that Floyd was atrocious this spring and Danks was pretty good. Combine that with the fact that Floyd is having some blister problems down in Charlotte and opponents are hitting .297 against him down there, and you won't see him in Chicago this year (although I still like his stuff).

Lance Broadway and Gio Gonzalez are definitely not ready, I'd guess they won't be ready until April of 2009, and the earliest you see them is 2008. The starter we have in the minors that is closest to MLB ready is probably Adam Russell, who is a 6'8 250 pounder out of Ohio University (Hugg would love that if he saw it) that had a great camp in March and is pitching great down at Birmingham. He pitches very muck like Jose Contreras and talks with him all the time through a translater, and has allowed 0 home runs in 51 innings this year, so he'd be the next guy to look out for, and in fact, another AA pitcher named Jack Egbert (almost a k per inning, and only 8 walks and 0 homers allowed in 48 innings) is probably closer than Gio or Lance is right now as a starter.

Hope that helps. Oh, and if you want to see some really funny numbers, search Dewon Day on milb.com. 45 k's and 12 walks in 23 innings (and only 1 homer to go with the 2 k's an inning), but a era of 3.91 and BAA of .266. I believe his BABIP is .481 right now, which I've never heard of. Good times. And to answer somebody's question here, Haeger has been awful at Charlotte this year. And although our system is maybe the worst in baseball for position players, we have a lot of promising pitching, so he better get his head out of his rear end if he ever wants to see The Cell again.

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Sox have done a great job by picking up a lot of young pitching. Guys like Gio will be there eventually, I've heard a lot about him and I remember discussing him on this board when I was a Phillie so I recognize the name.

Top Bottom