What's new

The Future...

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
One thing is for curtain about this franchise. We all know we are low-budget, we all know we have some great talent, and we all know people want what we have.

For some reasons other fans of other teams can't comprehend that this team has been around for only a decade, and has been thrown around more than most franchises do in 30 years.

Twists, turns, a rocky road of uncertainty. And the sad thing, we all can forsee the future, one that most likely doesn't involve 6 out of the 8 starters on the field. My question to you all is, why haven't you learned to accept this from your favorite team? You know that you will always remain a true fan through any circumstances, and these are ones we have had before. They have panned out.

I do realize that dispite the fact that we are the fans of one of MLB's few teams from the "ghetto", we shouldn't HAVE to get used to seeing great talent come up in this organitzation, and leave only for a team that has a more fortunate owner.

We have revenue sharing, which is just a small step toward a cap, but that is hardly enough to keep teams like this one together.

So let's just get used to it. We will see our favorites like Luis Castillo, Derrek Lee, and possibly Mike Lowell leave this team. It's almost inevitable. But think back to '97. That was a World Series team that was dismantled. This is a team that has never been over . 500 being taken apart.

Keep in mind that the men we recieve in return this season and in the future for our current fan favorites will eventually become our fan favorites. So let's just sit back, relax, get ready for another climax of the Florida Marlins highlight, or lowlight reel. It will be interesting to see who goes, to where, and for what.

Different movie, same old plot to me. Let's just hope there are a few differences in the story lines than there were in '97...

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
The problem will always be the same, as much as some what to point to the top it won't change what we've known since 97' The stadium or a salary cap in baseball will be the only thing that would get us out of this low-budget mode. The second soluction will probable not happen, the first well I can only hope

marlins02

i want a new stadium and an incredible turnaround like the Indians in the mid-90's who went to two world series' and went repeatedly to the playoffs. but ive realized that it will never happen. we will be in this stadium for a long time, tearing teams apart as soon as they get expensive and then start over until Loria or whoever is the next owner moves the team somewhere else. i just hope that when we rebuild this time, we get lucky like the twins and have a nice little run. whatever happens i'll probaly still be a marlins fan or fan of whatever they change their name to in the future. in a way you can say im like a cubs fan, loyal no matter what happens.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
The problem is you can't just give up and say "well, this is the way it's always going to be" because the marlins will never win with it the way it is now.

So what would be the point of following a team after you accept the fact that it'll never be any different and they'll never, ever win again?

You've still got to be a fan, root for them when they do well, criticize when they do bad, and hold ownership responsible to winning, which is the standard every other team's fans hold their franchise to.

Please guys, don't make me be the postitive one about this, you know that ain't my style. Jeez, this thread sounds like it was started the day after the trading deadline.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, I was actually trying to instill some optimism in this forum with this thread. Most of you feel that another huge sale is going down and that we will always be bad, ect. I was trying to say, even though we shouldn't have to, we need to deal with the fact our team will never be able to keep ALL these guys. And when we get new prospects in return for them, they will become the guys we have now in the future. Let's hope they are better than the guys we have now.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Keep all of them??? Heck, it's not like we will lose a player or two. You know, it's possible we could lose 7-10 players. Almost half the roster. That's gotta be some type of record.

Ok, it looks like I'm back to being negative.

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
LOL Fillet Brain is getting :crying teary eyed, "hold ownership responsible to winning" like what trash them for not spending or criticize them for making a bad deal. I'm for that one. We are fans and we stand by our team (not like unknown fan in Fillet Brain) :usaflag baseball and apple pie. We enjoy the game, the way its played, everything. We root for the name on the front not the back. As long as this team stays competive and brings exciting play to the field. I will continue to support them. :marlins

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
We root for the name on the front not the back.
That quote should go down in Florida marlins history.

marlins02

sometimes you have to accept things. we're living in a reccession in one of the most corrupt and broke places in the country, so forget about the stadium for a few years. even before the reccession, everything was being done to prevent a new stadium, attendance has pretty much gone down every year sine '93. we have ownership that dont give a damn, and dont know how to run a team. look at his old team, things got so bad there they're actually playing a quarter of their "home" games in san juan. we've only had one winning season in our first 10 years and that team was scrapped for parts. it really is hard to be optimistic after seeing all these things. im still rooting for the team, and ill still blast ownership when they f*** up, but actually believing a stadium will be built and this team is going to still be here in 10 years is very hard. if it happens, that will be the greatest thing in the world, but i've been let down to many times by this team and sports in general to dream about it.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
attendance has pretty much gone down every year sine '93.
I am pretty sure we will beat last years attendance this year...

we have ownership that dont give a damn

How do you figure? We have several give aways, they signed Pudge in an uneventfull attempt to connect with more fans. But at least they attempted. They know what kind of market they have here. South Florida is an amazing place (attendance wise) for a winning franchise. But when you give an area that already has a winning team (the Dolphins) a losing team, they won't focus on the losing one.

If the Marlins win, they get high attendance numbers. If they don't, then they don't.

It is that simple...

marlins02

do you seriously believe attendance gets better if they win, what about the world championship season? i mean damn, attendance during the regular season was below what it should've been for a team that was competing for a playoff spot. and even if attendance does get better, and Loria does care, he still has that damn lease with the pro that gives him almost nothing. and dont use the giveaways to say he cares, give-aways go with baseball like toys and happy meals. he's been sued by his former partners, and even felipe alou, one of the great baseball men called his a** a liar. and about pudge, they signed him for just one year, knowing he wont be here next year. they'll have to pay him $6 mil the next two seasons because his parts of salary is deferred, when he couldve give $5mil to Millar who deserved it. thats another thing, they told aj they couldnt pay him more than he wanted because they didnt have the money but then they sign pudge for $10 million. i know aj got hurt, so he was better off not giving him the money, but doesnt that call into question his sincerity?

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know about that crappy lease but...

But what I don't know is... when the hell does it end?

soon hopefully...

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know about that crappy lease but...

But what I don't know is... when the hell does it end?

soon hopefully...
Well, let's leave it at that...

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
you mean when does the lease end? If I'm not mistaken, I think they've been signing one-year extensions to the lease lately...

just no real alternative unfortunately.

Wayne has the Marlins by the short hairs. Where else are they gonna play?

markotsay7

give-aways go with baseball like toys and happy meals
Not too many years ago, the biggest "giveaway" of the year was Ladies' Night...giveaways have not always been around in the form that they exist today.

and about pudge, they signed him for just one year, knowing he wont be here next year. they'll have to pay him $6 mil the next two seasons because his parts of salary is deferred, when he couldve give $5mil to Millar who deserved it.

There's a difference though: Pudge draws fans; Millar, while a fan-favorite, does not. Didn't the Marlins sell like 226 season ticket packages in 24 hours after they announced the Pudge signing (or something like that)? Would that have happened if they just announed that they resigned Millar?

marlins02

give-aways go with baseball like toys and happy meals
Not too many years ago, the biggest "giveaway" of the year was Ladies' Night...giveaways have not always been around in the form that they exist today.

and about pudge, they signed him for just one year, knowing he wont be here next year. they'll have to pay him $6 mil the next two seasons because his parts of salary is deferred, when he couldve give $5mil to Millar who deserved it.
There's a difference though: Pudge draws fans; Millar, while a fan-favorite, does not. Didn't the Marlins sell like 226 season ticket packages in 24 hours after they announced the Pudge signing (or something like that)? Would that have happened if they just announed that they resigned Millar?

give me a better team, dont try to play on my race by bringing in "one of my own"to try to attract me or other latins. the guy was washed up and everyone knew it, and we didnt need a catcher anyway. give me a better team. yeah it sold tickets, but did it make us better? Millar wouldnt have gotten us to the playoffs but we would be better because he would have given us a good bat in the lineup, something he aint providing, he aint even playing that well behind the plate. thats how you show you care, you try to make the team better with the limited funds you have, not overpaying to bring in someone just because of who he is despite being washed up.

markotsay7

It's not because it draws the Latin crowd...it's because he's a proven name. No, we didn't need him...the lineup may have been better with Millar...

And maybe you think "Loria only did it to draw fans and get money" but remember...the more money he gets, the less money he loses, the higher our budget is for next year.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
you mean when does the lease end? If I'm not mistaken, I think they've been signing one-year extensions to the lease lately...

just no real alternative unfortunately.

Wayne has the Marlins by the short hairs. Where else are they gonna play?
Can't the Marlins explore other areas in Florida? Why is it always Miami?

Top Bottom