What's new

The Imus Situation

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
No question his comments were stupid and insensitive... but I'm a little mystified here. Isn't this overreacting a little? People are calling for his job.

He didn't exactly say anything in a hateful way, or use the "N" word. (Not to say those are the only measures of rascism, just saying...) I dunno, maybe I'm missing something. Granted, he's always seemed like a nutcase to me. I don't listen/watch his show so maybe I'm not the best judge here. If it was Howard Stern or something we wouldn't hear a peep about it.

What's everyone think of the matter? I should probably listen to the audio...

gomarlins9703

Muckdog
Reaction score
he just told a bad joke. No malace was intended. This whole situation is so stupid. If I were him I would have gone on Al Sharpton's show and riped him a new one. Him and Jessie Jackson are such goons. It's sad that they are the "faces" of the black community.

Juanky

If people don't like it, they can stop listening to his show. Pretty simple stuff.

Want to take it a step further? Call/write the companies who advertise with him and ask them to pull their spots, or threaten not to buy their products until they do so.

That makes much more of a statement than calling for having the guy fired, because then he leaves in a blaze of glory and gets another chance in 6 months on another format with even more popularity.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have to agree that this was an overreaction. His comments were dumb and insensitive, but it doesn't look like it was all that intentional.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
he just told a bad joke. No malace was intended. This whole situation is so stupid. If I were him I would have gone on Al Sharpton's show and riped him a new one. Him and Jessie Jackson are such goons. It's sad that they are the "faces" of the black community.

Yet they only blame other people for the problems of the black community and really dont take any blame themselves.

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Al Sharpton is idiot #1 and Jesse Jackson is idiot #2. Both are huge hypocrites and create more controversy than good.

Let's Start with Jackson. Without even getting into Mr. Morals extramarital affairs (and out-of-wedlock child as a result), I will start with his racist views on Jews. I am too lazy to look up his direct quotes, so I will make it easy and just take from Wikipedia: Nixon was less attentive to poverty in the U.S. because "four out of five [of Nixon's top advisors] are German Jews and their priorities are on Europe and Asia"; that he was "sick and tired of hearing about the Holocaust"; that there are "very few Jewish reporters that have the capacity to be objective about Arab affairs"; [7] In addition Rev. Jackson had referred to Jews as "Hymies" and to New York City as "Hymietown" in January 1984 during a conversation with Washington Post reporter, Milton Coleman. [8].

Sharpton is one of the most racist people in this country. He makes every little thing into a big issue, and gets away with anything he wants. He too is a racist against Jews, inciting the Crown Heights Riots (which resulted in a death) after making a derogatory remark about Jews, calling them "diamond merchants" and "shedding the blood of innocent babies," which led to a race riot where people chanting "kill the Jews."

Sharpton also has bashed Obama for not being black enough and not helping the black community, yet somehow thought Obama was black enough when Joe Biden said "mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy, ... I mean, that's a storybook, man." Sharpton had to retort and tell Biden that he was a racist because, "A lot of people took it from you that because (Obama) is Harvard-trained, that people don't see someone as good and clean unless they are less connected to the struggle of the African-American community." Sharpton also compared the gaffe to former Virginia Sen. George Allen's use of a racial slur against an Indian-American man last summer - a controversy that was widely believed to have cost Allen re-election. "George Allen got 'macaca' - this might be a step past that," Sharpton warned.

Not to mention the Tawana Brawley ordeal, where a black girl faked an anti-semitic motivated rape, and without evidence, Al automatically jumped into the fray calling the prosecutor a racist and accusing him or partaking in the rape and abduction when he did not pursue the case to Al's likings. Al claimed the case was a cover-up and the police and government were in on it to manipulate black people. Too bad the case ended up being false and made up. Did Al apologize? No, of course not....because he is allowed to be racist on any front he wants to. Luckily, fat Al did not get off the hook clean and was ordered to pay $345,000 in damages for his statements and accusations.

Finally, something I didn't even know prior to looking it up today, Al supported LoanMax as a spokesman. Funny thing is, the company is known to do predatory lending and was mainly marketed in the poor, urban African-American community. Way to go, Al!

Too bad Imus didn't call Al out on his past today, that would have been great. It's funny to see the public sentiment too. I was at the Hard Rock in Hollywood for an event where Al did an introduction and I have never heard one man be booed so loudly. These guys are both grade 'A' hypocrites and dipshits.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
I can guarantee that Imus would have only hurt himself if he went after Sharpton on his own turf. Especially when he is the one under the microscope and not the Reverend.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
He deserves the suspension and it took CBS Radio & MSNBC long enough.

Love the double standard though, had this been any rightie talker, they would have been suspended or fired almost instantly.....and they would have deserved it.

Imus getting a taste of his own medicine.

I wonder what WFAN is going to air for these two weeks. Classic Mets?

mr_eob

Muckdog
Reaction score
Im sick of the double standard with blacks saying anything they want, and if a white person say anything remotely close, all hell brakes loose.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
While Imus's comments were pretty insensitive, there's no way in hell Al Sharpton should still be relevant in America.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
While Imus's comments were pretty insensitive, there's no way in hell Al Sharpton should still be relevant in America.
Amen.

MikeLowell

Muckdog
Reaction score
Im sick of the double standard with blacks saying anything they want, and if a white person say anything remotely close, all hell brakes loose.

I said the same thing to my mom. If someone who was black called someone white a cracker or something along those lines on a radio show, people like Sharpton and Jackson would say it wasen't a big deal. But when someone white says something, everyone(Sharpton, Jackson) wants to give him the death sentence.

This act is getting really old.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Can I just ask ask this; what, exactly, was the offending word? "Nappy?"

I don't seem to see anyone arguing about the "hos" part. :mischief

I just want to get some perspective on this.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd be one of the first to get on people for being oversensitive, especially the black community, but I 100% believe there was a racist intent and what he said is more then likely hurtful to the Rutger's women basketball team. I agree with Cape, Imus deserved the suspension.

There is a huge ammount of stereotyping being done in this thread as well and it is kind of sad.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't think he calls them nappy-headed ho's if they're white ballplayers. I know nothing about Imus or his politics. The suspension seems fair, but I don't think it's something that ought to tarnish the entirety of his career. After 30 years on the radio, if he were an out and out racist, I think we'd know about it by now. That Howard Stern movie protrayed him as a jerk, and that's probably the truth, but I'm sure that's what makes him a good radio host. And yeah, Howard Stern probably gets away with that comment, but then again, he probably never makes that comment.

Reading the NY Times article on Imus' suspension, it's very clear that Sharpton is really just trying to get his name in the papers again. Imus has apologized over and over, and that should be good enough for Sharpton. But if Sharpton just lets it drop, the story probably ends...or at least he's no longer part of the story. But Sharpton just wants more. More repenting from Imus, more punishment from Imus' employers, and he'll keep calling for more, more, more as long as he's portrayed as some kind of crusader. As soon as the media calls him out, he'll stop.

Juanky

They aren't look for equality, they are looking for special treatment. I can't put into words how much I despise Sharpton, Jackson and this entire "I'm so offended" movement.

Why does a white person have to be any more demonized than your typical hip hop artist/rapper whose entire vocabulary consists of words like "ho," "bitch," "whore," and "n****r?" So basically what this says to America is that it's perfectly alright to use those words...as long as you are also a black person. To that I roll my eyes.
While I could care less what people say (for the most part) and I agree with pretty much all you're saying, racism isn't ok regardless of who the instigator is.

I still say that the crusade is stupid and people can just NOT LISTEN.

Mets_bs

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd be one of the first to get on people for being oversensitive, especially the black community, but I 100% believe there was a racist intent and what he said is more then likely hurtful to the Rutger's women basketball team. I agree with Cape, Imus deserved the suspension.

There is a huge ammount of stereotyping being done in this thread as well and it is kind of sad.
A friend of mine made a great point, he was calling them Nappy Hoes in comparison to the Tennessee team, which is also mostly comprised of black players. The words he chose were insensitive, the point behind them was notracist. And for what it's worth, what he was basically saying was correct -- the Tennessee women carried themselves like professionals and the Rutgers team carried themselves very much like Imus portrayed them.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
So... does the "nappy headed hos" comment only apply to the Black athletes? Last time I checked, there were white hos on that squad too.

I agree, for the most part, with Mabdul except that Rutgers had 2 white starters who played in every game of the season. I'm not a fan of Imus, but I think it would be dumb to trash a 35 year career because he used the words "nappy headed hos" in a context that easily could be forgiven [he's a SHOCK JOCK - Duh!]. See: Cosell, Howard.

Top Bottom