What's new

The media is right

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know almost all of you guys feel like the media is biased against the Marlins, but IMO they are right on. The FO has no idea how to handle players, coaches, or contracts. They jerk around Penny every offseason, they ruined Burnett, they were unfair in the way they handled Torborg/Arnsberg, and they still have ghosts from Montreal- yet most of you guys think the media is out to get Loria and co.

Folks, IMO we are seeing the last real year of Marlins baseball. Lowell, Castillo, and Lee are almost certainties to be traded away, and I'm sure guys like Penny and Burnett are not far off. It was tough to take Floyd last year, but Lowell has been the heart and soul of our team since fire sale #1, and the FO is about to make a big mistake.

The thing about baseball is it's meant for entertainment. The few fans we have left love Mike Lowell, and the FO will trade him citing an adequate replacement in Cabrera. I'm sure Cabrera will be great, but Lowell is our only run producer and a sincere fan favorite. This one year contract bullsh!t is gonna blow up in our faces next year.

The next couple of years we will get to see exciting prospects like Cabrera, Gonzalez, and Stokes, but we will not have a legitimate chance to contend. The few remaining fans will give up on the team and baseball will leave S. Florida. I am a huge Marlins fan, but I cannot go through another purge. I will still look at box scores, but after what is sure to happen this season/offseason I am done with the fish.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
another fan done with the Fish..... BEFORE ANYTHING HAS HAPPENED...... leave now then :rolleyes:

how does this management jerk Penny around?

why were they unfair in the firing of Torborg?

Im hopinh you will be eating a nice plate of crow in the future....

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm sure guys like Penny and Burnett are not far off.
No they arent going to get traded or even close to being traded. They are like the only pitchers we have that are valuable. Trust me Penny, Beckett and Burnett are staying here for a while.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
The media is a propaganda machine to make the Marlins front office look bad.I can understand your concerns about players future and yeah it is uncertain what will happen but give them until end of next year offseason before jumping to conclusions.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
If this team trades away Lowell, Castillo and Lee I am declaring my free agency.

I am not putting up with this crap again.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
If this team trades away Lowell, Castillo and Lee I am declaring my free agency.

I am not putting up with this crap again.
So your telling you will miss D.Lee??
I think Castillo is a good player but in my opinion is not worth 7 Mil.
Lowell is the only player that will hurt and it remains to be seen what management will do.Look on the bright side pitching will remain intact for the most part.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
minus why would the media blindly attack the "FO" for no reason whatsoever. You could argue that one of the papers got shafted for Torborg's firing, but really most of criticism is warranted. And until they show they are going to sign our cornerstone players to medium-long term deals all of you snhould be very suspicious of the ownwerships intentions. This is not an innocent until proven guilty case. They f***ed Montreal and now they are controlling our teams destiny. I'm not going to say ownership is the devil at this point because honestly I don't know. But come this offseason if our cornerstone players are traded away for young kids and not signed to something other than a one year deal I will know whats going to happen because we've all been there after '97

:plain

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
No, I will not miss Lee.

I dont particularly care if he is traded.

I dont particlarly care if Castillo is also traded.

But you CANNOT say with a straight face if you trade all three of these players that you are trying to put a winning club together and also trying to draw in fans.

No way in hell.

Its about principle. If this organization does not show a commitement to win, then why should I GAF?

PS...I would not be surprised to see AJ sign with a different team this offseason. I do believe he is a free agent.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
But you CANNOT say with a straight face if you trade all three of these players that you are trying to put a winning club together and also trying to draw in fans.

Its about principle. If this organization does not show a commitement to win, then why should I GAF?
And their response would probably be:

"Seen the attendance lately? Keeping these players around doesn't seem to be drawing many fans either, so would trading some of them away & bringing up good cheap prospects make a whole lot of difference?"

You know very well what the policy of this front office is. Try to field a competitive team while spending as little as possible.

Unless they get a new stadium deal or amazingly tons of fans start showing up, their policy will always be the same. End of story. There's always some wiggle room...(signing Pudge for example) but we already know how this group operates. If spending a lot of money is equal to showing a committment to win, I'm afraid you won't find much to be happy about with this team.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
I agree HC - it's not the fault of our "FO" its just the overall structure and economic climate of baseball. Huizenga couldn't get the job done and neither could John Henry - at least these guys are trying. I'll give them that. Sure they've made some mistakes but for the most part I think they are doing the best they can in a difficult situation. If you want to blame someone for the demise of the Marlins and other small market clubs blame George Steinbrenner.

Sure I'll miss Lowell, but if Hill, Cruz and Cabrera succeed the loss will be tempered.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
What happens then when Hill, Cruz and Cabrera get to free agency?

Do they get traded then?

will this be a never ending cycle.

Teams can win with small payrolls. This one cannot.

Even the Royals have a high payed player in Mike Sweeney.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score

Do they get traded then?

Well you can't predict the future but I'm sure if your scenerio were to happen then Marlins will be on their way out of South Florida.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score

Do they get traded then?

Yes - it will be.

See Exhibit A - the Seattle Mariners - Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr & ARod all traded. Team still successful

See Exhibit B - the Oakland A's - Jason Giambi traded, Miguel Tejada next. Team still successful.

Unfortunately - until there is revenue sharing - these are these we can hope to emmulate.

Look on the bright side - the Mets have a $140 million payroll and they suck.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
See trading away the established players now would be the second time it occurs.

To me this is not a commitement to winning.

You replace some players....but you cannot replace your entire roster of everyday players, replace them with young players and expect to win. Period.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Who do you really miss?

Dempster, Clement & Alfonseca all suck.

Floyd is always hobbling around on his tender hammy.

Millar is solid - but his stats aren't that much better than Banks/Holly platoon.

CJ sucks.

Preston Wilson could never duplicate what he is doing in Coors at Pro Player. Ramp would probably have 25 RBI's by now - if he was batting between Helton & Walker.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ramp would probably have 25 RBI's by now - if he was batting between Helton & Walker.
who are you kidding.... I would have 52rbi and 13 bombs.... :p

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
See trading away the established players now would be the second time it occurs.

To me this is not a commitement to winning.

You replace some players....but you cannot replace your entire roster of everyday players, replace them with young players and expect to win. Period.
But they are not replacing their entire roster is not even close to what they did in '97.Is not like the marlins are a contender.I'm glad they decided to use payroll flexibility and not offer long terms contracts to players like D.Lee.I know it also hurts not locking up players that are performing above expectations like Lowell and Redman.Only player they should consider signing out of those is Lowell and I don't care about other two.

Lets be realistic here:
The Marlins are not only team that is affected by the economics of the game and some teams are better off but they all have to make some type desicion on a player to reduce salary cap.We should all blame player association and the way the finiancial side of baseball is structure.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
If you replace Lowell, Castillo and Lee you have effectively done that, just in a longer period of time this year.

If this team trades away Lowell, I will seriously question their commitement.

You can place blame whereever you want to....

Its nice that this team is taking the role to have a small payroll. Too bad it wont win you crap, you cannot get by cutting as many costs as you possibly can. That is not smart.

Also, lets look at some of the trades made....

In the Floyd deal we picked up Major League talent.

In Dempster deal we did the same.

in the cj, preston deal...major league talent also was acquired.

The Marlins could of gotten more in the CJ, Preston deal....basically CJ and Hampton were washes....you traded Preston for Pierre...as good as Pierre is...Preston should of warranted at least a prospect.

The Dempster/Floyd deal was a fine deal....good talent was acquired in return...Wayne the only one I dont like so far...

The Alfonseca/Clement deal was a cost move solely...somehow they were able to heist Willis, although I have not figured out how yet.

I have heard of prospects galore for Castillo and/or Lowell.

Thats crap.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Who do you really miss?

Dempster, Clement & Alfonseca all suck.

Floyd is always hobbling around on his tender hammy.

Millar is solid - but his stats aren't that much better than Banks/Holly platoon.

CJ sucks.

Preston Wilson could never duplicate what he is doing in Coors at Pro Player. Ramp would probably have 25 RBI's by now - if he was batting between Helton & Walker.
Dempster is going to have a very good start tonight and possibly turn things around, possibly.

Clement is going to be a grear pitcher and you know it so don't say this year is a sign of his career.

Alfonseca had to be done because he's a fat lazy oaf.

Floyd is tearing The Phillies up, not with The Marlins but with The Mets

I'm not going to mention I'll save that for play

About CJ, so does Pudge

Your right about PW and you knew he was bound for this going into coors but I still think he would have had an above average season in PP. Coors is overrated. Chacon is tied for the best in The N.L. in wins and Hollandsworth did not fall drastically going from Coors and Arlington to PP.

Top Bottom