What's new

The time is now...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
These next 16 games are our chance to make a legit move in the standings....

3 vs the Brew Crew
3 vs the Rangers
4 vs the Mutts
3 vs the Devil Dogs
3 vs the Mutts

if we dont take atleast 10 of 16, I will be very disappointed..... I expect 12 of 16, but I'll take 10...

Also, it's time for Sea Bass to move up in the order....
Pierre
Castillo
Pudge
Lowell
Encarnacion
Sea Bass
Derrek "I suck so much so I might as well" Lee(ave)
Hollandsworthless for the next month

It's now or never

marlins02

i like that, its do or die. at least lets show that we're not down at the level of some these pathetic teams, especially the $100 million busts from Queens. Philly aint doing that great so we might be able to pass them and get close to the Montreal/San Juan, PR/ Wahsinton D.C Expos

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not to sound ominous here, but this reminds me of a stretch of games we had last year around the same time, all against losing teams. We ended up getting swept by Tampa Bay & didn't gain any ground at all.

It was the team's poor record in that trip which convinced the front office to go ahead & deal Cliff Floyd.

It will probably be this stretch that decides what happens with Lowell and Castillo.

from Dave Hyde's column in the Herald:
A year ago, Beinfest was criticized for trading Cliff Floyd too soon. But Floyd's injuries didn't make him a long-term investment and Beinfest says with much sense that the Marlins had just lost ground while playing a 25-game stretch against teams with losing records. That was all the data he needed to deal.

We're at that point in the schedule again. This series against the Angels begins an 18-game stretch against opponents near .500 (the Angels are 30-29 after Saturday's win) or below it (Milwaukee, Texas, the Mets and Tampa Bay). They're five games below .500, have the final game of this run against the Mets on June 26, and if the record hasn't improved you'll know Beinfest's marching orders.

marlins02, the Phils swept Oakland in a double-header today. Marlins need to worry about getting back to .500 first.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
good luck indeed....

and in all honestly, will DLee ever contribute again?

:banghead

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
and in all honestly, will DLee ever contribute again?
no

DLee sucks to much to hit in June...

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why is Dave Hyde insinuating that if the Marlins do well it will keep Beinfest from trading players?

I hate to be the realist, but once again it's time for a reality check. Most, if not all of the Marlins' marketable players like Lowell WILL GO, regardless. It's such a well known fact I won't even bother citing the hundred or so artcles in local and national press which have forwarded this fact over the last few months. I know it isn't the news we'd like to hear, but it's time to face the music. Hyde should be slapped for insinuating that some type of winning streak will keep the Marlin's roster intact. It's just irresponsible.

I had the misfortune of listening to an interview Beinfest gave during the Marlin's radio pregame. When asked about Lowell he reinterated his "policy", that he refuses to comment on trade "rumors". Listen, rumors are rumors, but when Lowell is up for arbitration, is due a huge pay increase, has clubs scout him relentlessly and repeated reports come out about other teams' interest, I think it's a little more than rumor. And the fact that Beinfest will not make any attempt to publicly diffuse the rumors just reinforces that all the one-year deal players up for arbitration are on the table.

I also hate Beinfest for acting as if a losing streak has anything to do with Floyd's trade, or that it will have anything to do with the trade-o-rama that's coming this July. He and Loria painted themselves into a corner with the one-year deals, and now they'll try to pawn off the resulting trades on poor performance.

Heave-Ho, Loria must go!!!!!

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why is Dave Hyde insinuating that if the Marlins do well it will keep Beinfest from trading players?

I hate to be the realist, but once again it's time for a reality check. Most, if not all of the Marlins' marketable players like Lowell WILL GO, regardless. It's such a well known fact I won't even bother citing the hundred or so artcles in local and national press which have forwarded this fact over the last few months. I know it isn't the news we'd like to hear, but it's time to face the music. Hyde should be slapped for insinuating that some type of winning streak will keep the Marlin's roster intact. It's just irresponsible.

I had the misfortune of listening to an interview Beinfest gave during the Marlin's radio pregame. When asked about Lowell he reinterated his "policy", that he refuses to comment on trade "rumors". Listen, rumors are rumors, but when Lowell is up for arbitration, is due a huge pay increase, has clubs scout him relentlessly and repeated reports come out about other teams' interest, I think it's a little more than rumor. And the fact that Beinfest will not make any attempt to publicly diffuse the rumors just reinforces that all the one-year deal players up for arbitration are on the table.

I also hate Beinfest for acting as if a losing streak has anything to do with Floyd's trade, or that it will have anything to do with the trade-o-rama that's coming this July. He and Loria painted themselves into a corner with the one-year deals, and now they'll try to pawn off the resulting trades on poor performance.

Heave-Ho, Loria must go!!!!!
I hope DLee is included in that "Trade-o-Rama"

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I assume they're saying if the team is winning (over .500) then they might hang on to those players for as long as possible and see if a wild-card run is possible (insert laughs here). Lowell's not a free agent until after next season, they could just as easily wait until the year's over to deal him. Castillo however, is a free-agent after the season and they would need to move him now or risk getting nothing.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Seriously though, if this team can kinda stay on track and get on that same tear we were/are on, then we can take a lot of these games to a . 500+ record and compete for the WC.

It will either be a very helpfull bunch of series or a very demeaning one. All we can do is sit back and watch...

BTW Ramp: I would bat D-Lee ahead of TH, and bat Alex ahead of Juan.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yea we have to take at least 10 games for us to be contending or close to contending in the NL East. Derek Lee needs to sit out a couple of games and out Banks at 1st. If Olsen Pitches good for us it will help out our bullpen (they wont have to work too much). Alex and Lowell need to keep on producing for us to win those 10 Games. Lets see what happens....

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
These next 16 games are our chance to make a legit move in the standings....

3 vs the Brew Crew
3 vs the Rangers
4 vs the Mutts
3 vs the Devil Dogs
3 vs the Mutts

if we dont take atleast 10 of 16, I will be very disappointed..... I expect 12 of 16, but I'll take 10...
Just to update this thread....in these 16 straight games against last place teams, so far we're 5-4. Not good enough. Need a win tonight big time. Then we can work on sweeping the Rays. :)

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
WHY IS SEABASS STILL BATTING 7TH :banghead THIS IS IRRITATING ME GREATLY JACK.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
in all honesty, who do you want him batting over?

the whole team is(before game 1 and 2 of the mets series) heating up on offense

AGonzalez11

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've been a big Gonzalez fan even when he was batting .220 year in year out, So I may be baised, but...

I feel Gonzalez is the best run producer this team has. I'd like to see stats of players with RISP, but I'd be pretty shocked if Gonzalez didn't have the best average and DLee had one of the worst. I Can't stand Lee and his routine chokejob when he comes up to bat in a crucial situation. All his homers seem to come in blowout situations. Pudge hasn't been that great either, but he still comes up with some reasonably big hits, and doesnt crumble up into a ball when pressure is on like Lee does.

AGon should be batting 3rd IMO. How he has 50 RBI batting 7th/8th all year long is pretty incredible to me...He'd probably have 60+ If he was batting higher in the order.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
you're right... that's the only place I would move him right now...to the 6 hole...

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
They've gotta win 5 out of these last 7 games just to go 10-6 on this stretch against last-place teams. Even if they do I don't think it'll be enough. We likely won't have gained ANY ground on the wildcard or division race. I'm afraid we'll still be sitting around 9 or 10 games back in the wildcard race when the All-Star break comes around and then the trades will start.

It just kills me that on May 1st, the team's sitting at 15-15 and a pretty decent start. Then after a month later on June 1, they're at six games under .500 already.

And now through June so far they haven't really gotten any of that lost ground back yet. Things are getting desperate.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I feel Gonzalez is the best run producer this team has. I'd like to see stats of players with RISP, but I'd be pretty shocked if Gonzalez didn't have the best average and DLee had one of the worst.
Ask and ye shall receive:
Average and Slugging % with Runners in scoring position.

Player - Ave - Slugging
Pudge - .339 - .571
AlexG - .329 - .571
Luis C - .298 - .316
Juan E - .293 - .413
Lowell - .276 - .598
M.Red - .238 - .238
Banks - .235 - .529
Derek - .229 - .400
Pierre - .224 - .293
THolly - .170 - .298

I didn't figure Pudge to be up there...hmm. But no question Alex has been getting it done.

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
So far we've only won five...to win 12 we have to win tonight and sweep the next 2 series :unsure :.......

gonna be kind of hard

Top Bottom