The wind may be blowing in a different direction for Julio

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
04/11/2007 5:00 PM ET
Julio's security remains unclear
Right-handed closer could move into setup role
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- On Wednesday, a day after Jorge Julio was unable to seal his second save opportunity of the season, manager Fredi Gonzalez was noncommittal when asked if the 28-year-old right-hander would remain the Marlins' closer.

"We'll do what's best for the team, the organization and the individual," Gonzalez said Wednesday afternoon.

In five games, the right-hander is 0-1 with a 14.73 ERA, giving up six earned runs in 3 2/3 innings, while walking six without recording a strikeout.

Julio had a chance to close out Tuesday night's game, but he allowed the tying run in the ninth and Milwaukee was able to force extra innings. After three rain delays that totaled 93 minutes, the game was suspended with the score tied at 2. It will be picked up with the 11th inning on Wednesday night.

Julio has allowed runs in three of his five outings. On April 4, he was unable to protect a two-run lead in the ninth inning and lost to the Nationals. And on April 8, he entered with a two-run lead against the Phillies at home. The veteran was lifted with the bases loaded and one out, and Lee Gardner was able to shut the door without surrendering a run.

Obtained from the Diamondbacks in a trade for right-hander Yusmeiro Petit the last week of Spring Training, Julio was brought in to give a veteran presence in the closer role. He has 99 career saves.

If Julio is switched to a setup-relief role, the Marlins would turn to several other closing candidates. Henry Owens, Gardner, Randy Messenger, Matt Lindstrom and Kevin Gregg would get a chance.

Another possibility is lefty Taylor Tankersley, who is expected to come off the disabled list and join the team on Friday in Atlanta.

Recovering from shoulder tendinitis, Tankersley threw a scoreless inning of relief in a rehab assignment on Wednesday for Class A Jupiter at Brevard County.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=fla

mdmarlinsfan7

Muckdog
Reaction score
finally a voice of reason...its about time that he sees julio was a bad idea--it might be a while before he gets save no 100

djm305

Muckdog
Reaction score
The news on Tank is encouraging and it seems like Freddi may think twice before putting in Julio in a close game. Personally if he is to remain with the club and work his issues out here then I would prefer to see him in middle relif where we still have a shot to recover from any problems he may encounter. He can screw up a game just as much in a setup role as he could as a closer.

Reaction score
He shouldn't be sent into a game any later than the 7th IMO. And even then, preferably not in 1 or 2 run games (or ties obviously).

costabear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Excellent. I think he'll be given mop-up duty until he can prove he deserves something else.

DelGOT2Rings

Muckdog
Reaction score
Realistically, he's going to have to be used in some situations. You know he won't be cut. Would he even pass waivers if he was sent down?? So, hopefully, we see Fredi show a little balls and limit him to strictly mop up and situational duties (for instance, bringing him in to give an intentional walk or face a tough hitter, like a Jomie Moyer or other former long-time american league pitcher).

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really don't think Fredi is a yes man. I think he works well with the FO, but that doesn't necessarily mean he says yes to everything. I bet he challenges some of their decisions with strong, well thought out arguments. Maybe he doesn't say, "no, he won't close for us." But he will say, "he'll close, but only after he gets his sh*t together, which I will let him do in another role." That's how it should be.

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score
About damn time considering he alone has already cost the Marlins two victories.

I wouldn't go that far but then I have never been a finger pointer in a team sport. Julio is this year's Reggie for those type people. Such as in last year those types were saying that whenever Reggie was in a game we lost it, no matter what he did or didn't do. Absurd reasoning, but the nature of the beast.
Once/if Julio works out his problem(s) he will be back in the closer's role. Plain and simple. Deal with it. On his behalf he has been saying all the right things even when it has become evident he has lost the role he was brought in for. That type attitude is admirable and should equate to a positive outcome.

FlummoxedLummox

About damn time considering he alone has already cost the Marlins two victories.

I wouldn't go that far but then I have never been a finger pointer in a team sport. Julio is this year's Reggie for those type people. Such as in last year those types were saying that whenever Reggie was in a game we lost it, no matter what he did or didn't do. Absurd reasoning, but the nature of the beast.
Once/if Julio works out his problem(s) he will be back in the closer's role. Plain and simple. Deal with it. On his behalf he has been saying all the right things even when it has become evident he has lost the role he was brought in for. That type attitude is admirable and should equate to a positive outcome.
Really Bob, it's not an absurd accusation. The closer has one job: to preserve a lead when the team needs a 1/2 inning of good pitching to reach victory. If he fails in that regard, he fails at his job. When everyone else works 8 or 8.5 innings and successfully brings a lead to the final 1/2 inning, they succeed at their job. When the rest of the team succeeds and one person fails, isn't fair to place blame on that one person?

Top Bottom