What's new

This Week's Most Important Political News

Night Phantom

Please back up your opinion. The winner will (more than likely) be the leadoff topic for my show on Thursday.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Immigration Compromise - bipartisan support, affects a ton of people.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
Without a doubt it has to be the outcry over the immigration compromise bill. Clearly nobody is the least bit happy with this, no matter which side of the political spectrum they may be on.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here's my take:

- The Cancer "Cure" is really just the POSSIBILITY of a cure. There have been dozens of treatments that have worked on mice but failed human trials. So really, this is too soon to tell

- The Paul-Giuliani fallout is pretty much old news at this point. Ultimately, it will mean very little within our political landscape.

- The Iraq Benchmark proposal is very nice in theory. It finally promises to get our troops home and that is a big deal. However, we knew our troops were going to come home, this just answered the question of when.

*WINNER* - Immigration Compromise. Regardless of how anyone feels about this bill, it will have a direct and profound impact on the lives of - what - 12 million people living in the US? Start spreading that impact out to the employers and customers and friends... If this bill passes, this should be THE big story. It is also a good topic for your show because it is a polarizing issue. Everyone wants to see a cure for Cancer, everyone wants to see the troops come home, does everyone think that any "illegal" who entered the country prior to Jan 1, 2007 should be allowed citizenship with a $5000 "application fee?"

That's the balls.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's not exactly true, Yankee. It's not $5,000 for citizenship. It's a $5,000 fine, living as a non-immigrant for 8-13 years, waiting in line to become a permanent resident, and then applying for citizenship. Of course, you won't be allowed to do this if you've been convicted of certain crimes, don't have a job, or are a drain in the system.

I didn't expect such a general and uninformed opinion from you, Yankee. You're usually quite thoughtful.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's not exactly true, Yankee. It's not $5,000 for citizenship.
You're right; I meant that tongue-in-cheek and should have put "application fee" in quotes. I think that is the perception that a lot of the people opposed to the bill would have.

Thanks for the reality check, though. Didn't mean for it to sound like THAT!

Flying_Mollusk

Muckdog
Reaction score
Immigration. Didn't even hear about the Cancer thing. The Paul-Guliani thing is just amongst political followers right now.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Immigration bill is probably the most important. I would be most interested in hearing the Paul & Giuliani stuff, I just think it's a great subject for debate.

However I'm sure you're going to want to do an immigration show eventually anyway, this would be as good a time as any.

What does Digg have to do with a cancer cure, unless there was a scam?

Top Bottom