What's new

Thompson passing McCain?

Juanky

I'm not surprised, I've seen Romney's fall coming for a while and Thompson is riding a pretty hot streak. I would give him about 60% chance of getting the party nomination right now and I only see that going up.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
Are they going to play the law and order theme whenever he walks into a room?

IrishHarrington

Muckdog
Reaction score
mccain is too old both in terms of age and as a political figure . his time has passed if it was going to happen for him it would have been in 2000

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
mccain really is yesterday's news.

i dont know if anyone seriously thought he could contend this time around, it was just his loyalists being hopeful.

Candidates have really one maybe two realistic shots at the nomination.

Mccain's age definitely doesnt help.

Flying_Mollusk

Muckdog
Reaction score
As a dem, I think Guliani and McCain were the two worst possible matchups. Those two would have no problems dipping into the dem pool but there are really no dems that could easily dip into the republican pool ala Clinton in 1992. This could be another close election where the base outreach matters again.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I just won't vote for someone as old as McCain. I do 100% support how he criticized Rumsfeld and the administrations handling of the war and now his support of the new plan and his support of doing the mission right in Iraq.

Thompson is the candidate that should scare the democrats though.

I know I'm only 22, and 24 next election, but if Thompson runs I will have never support or want a candidate to win as much as him.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
McCain lost my support months ago when he decided to stick to the Iraq War as a success, no matter what went wrong there. The 'maverick' is as dead as disco now.

Many are comparing his trip to Iraq last week with the Michael Dukakis tank fiasco, or the "Mission Accomplished" banner.

I just can't imagine Rudy winning the nomination. He would get a lot more votes in the general election than from his own party's voters. He's the kind of candidate that could swing a lot of independents his way. However, the GOP rank and file isn't going to let their 19th century beliefs be threatened by some pro-choice NY mayor.

I have also started to hear comparisons between Mitt Romney and John Kerry, which isn't a good sign...

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
McCain lost my support months ago when he decided to stick to the Iraq War as a success, no matter what went wrong there. The 'maverick' is as dead as disco now.
Totally not true.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
Totally not true.
Um, why? He's not the guy he used to be. It's clear that he wants the Presidency so bad now that he will sell his soul to get it, which still doesn't seem to be enough.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thompson would be a strong candidate no doubt, more due to the current players than anything else.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Totally not true.
Um, why? He's not the guy he used to be. It's clear that he wants the Presidency so bad now that he will sell his soul to get it, which still doesn't seem to be enough.
McCain was definitely critical of Rumsfeld, many of the war plans, and a lot of Bush's policies and plans there. Now he is supporting what he has supported the whole time, the troop surge and the current new strategy in Iraq being implemented by General Petraeus.

McCain has absolutely not changed his stance, he has supported his own thoughts and opinions on what should happen and Iraq and Bush recently has come very close to what McCain believes in him, no way has McCain changed his tune.

I love how democrats characterize a republican nominees' chances, etc. as if they are able to vote for him or will vote for him and vice versa for the republicans.

Top Bottom