What's new

Thoughts After Week 1

Boog Sciambi

Muckdog
Reaction score
Offense: Well coming out of spring training, it looked like things were going to be fairly...interesting, or un-interesting for that matter...But, they came out of the gate flying. Scoring 45 runs in 7 games comes out to an average of 6.42 runs per game. That being said, that was with Uggs and Borchard batting below .100 for 5 1/2 of the games. I believe Hanley is a spark plug, very similar to what JP was in 2003 with the fish. We've seen nice production from Jacobs, and Hammer has looked solid at the plate as well. You have to love Olivo's hustle out there.... And then, what more can you say about De Aza. He's been nothing short of spectacular thus far.

And as far as miggy....NL Player of the week is enough said.

We also lead the league in batting average at .314 and in runs scored(45), hits, (65) doubles(17), triples(6), RBIs(39), and total bases!(118)

Defense: The defense has also been stunning this far with only 2 errors in 7 games this season. Fielding % of .991. Also, Cabrera looks comfortable at 3rd, with the exception of that lazy play the other night where he just failed to get in front of the ball. Borchard looks a little lost in right field, if he doesn't pick things up I wouldn't mind seeing Fredi stick someone else in there until Hermida gets back. Maybe give Jason Wood a shot for a couple starts, maybe Almezega once Hanley gets back in the lineup. Overall defense looks solid. OH and how bout the job Jacobs has been doing at first!

Starting Pitching: Dontrelle has looked solid in his first couple of starts, as he does every April, key for him is to not rush. He looks very good though. Scott Olsen, same with him... his attitude reminds me of a mix of AJ and Josh Beckett...but the dude can pitch, i think if it werne't for 2 innings he wouldn't have allowed any runs..The fact that he's able to limit the damage is a great sign of maturity and bouncing back. His start the other night was great how he gave up the two runs early, even when he didn't have his best stuff and he was still able to give his team some quality innings.
Anibal needs to retain his concentration and he will be fine. He should be 2-0 right now. Sergio Mitre didn't pitch all that badly either. He had great control of his stuff and had a handfull of strikeouts over the 5 innings he pitched. Too bad his defense let him down, or else we might be talking about a 6-1 start.
Bullpen:
The bullpen with the exception of our **cough** closer has been phenomenal. Lidstrom, Gregg, Gardner, Owens, and dare i say it Messenger have looked superb coming out of the gates. If they can keep this up it will be a fun season. Also a good sign that Pinto came out throwing strikes tonight after his struggles yesterday.

And for Jorge Julio...I guess its fortunate that we're not 3-4 right now

Overall..a great first week, I'm not sure if it could have gone any better than us. And I think Fredi has done a nice job as well...he looks comfortable on that bench!!

Reaction score
If Julio doesnt stink it up against the NATIONALS...we'd be 6-1. and they wouldnt have a win yet. thats the only way it could have gone better for us this season, but ill take the 5-2 start.

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Julio doesnt stink it up against the NATIONALS...we'd be 6-1. and they wouldnt have a win yet. thats the only way it could have gone better for us this season, but ill take the 5-2 start.

My first thought was just that, we should be 6-1. But also, happy with Miggy, Uggla coming out of his early funk, De Aza doing well (although he could not have been worse than REggie or Reed is he tried), most of the bullpen and more.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
The hitting has carried the team. The OPS is .200+ over the league average. The starting pitching has been mediocre at best. I don't think any pitcher has gone 7 innings in any start. The bullpen, other than Julio, has been surprisingly dominant. Hopefully they keep it up but I'm not convinced they will.

Reaction score
Great break down! My thoughts exactly. I love our offence and our SP hasn't been that bad either. The bullpen is holding up and I have so much faith in Lindstrom and Owens. I think Julio will become better, he already identified his mistakes, but saying you knows whats wrong and actually fixing it are two diffrent things.

Boog Sciambi

Muckdog
Reaction score
The hitting has carried the team. The OPS is .200+ over the league average. The starting pitching has been mediocre at best. I don't think any pitcher has gone 7 innings in any start. The bullpen, other than Julio, has been surprisingly dominant. Hopefully they keep it up but I'm not convinced they will.

True, they haven't.... but it looks like Freddi has been very leary of letting a starter throw more than 100 pitches for the most part... i don't think anyone has thrown more than 105 in a game...

i don't think any starter has had their best stuff, but they've taken what they have had, and made it work... and thats why we're winning games because they're keeping our team in the game.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
The starters stats:

ERA - tied for 9th with 3.92 (NL average: 3.78)
Innings per start - tied for 14th with 5.57 (NL average: 5.99)
OPS allowed - 14th with .800 (NL average: .718)

I still say the hitting is carrying the team.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
For all the grousing here and in the media over the last six months and the expert guarantees of a sure to happen sophmore slump (boy those opposing pitcher's really have the Marlins hitter's number this year huh?!?!) there are only two teams in all of baseball with better records than the Marlins, who are leading all of baseball in most of the important offensive categories as we speak.

Oh yeah, and Mike Jacobs can't hit lefties. :brigginbounce

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
For the sake of everyone's health, I must remind you all that it is just one week in the books, and no matter how much I want it to happen, Jacobs and Cabrera can't continue this torrid pace (at least average wise) for the entire season.

For now, I'm extremely pleased with all I've seen, but I don't think we can "evaluate" this team until we see how the bullpen works when they have to continually clean up each other's messes (because, eventually that happens to all pens) and if there'll be an extended stretch when the starting rotation can carry this team the way the bats are now.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
For the sake of everyone's health, I must remind you all that it is just one week in the books, and no matter how much I want it to happen, Jacobs and Cabrera can't continue this torrid pace (at least average wise) for the entire season.

For now, I'm extremely pleased with all I've seen, but I don't think we can "evaluate" this team until we see how the bullpen works when they have to continually clean up each other's messes (because, eventually that happens to all pens) and if there'll be an extended stretch when the starting rotation can carry this team the way the bats are now.

Yeah, I agree. Let's review the team sometime in mid May and see where we stand then. I am cautiously optimistic that we'll be significantly above .500 then.

Also, quick correction, Cabrera (and probably Jacobs, too) can't continue this torrid pace in any of their categories. Miggy is on pace for like 69 HR and 255 RBI. :lol

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

Yeah, I agree. Let's review the team sometime in mid May and see where we stand then. I am cautiously optimistic that we'll be significantly above .500 then.

Also, quick correction, Cabrera (and probably Jacobs, too) can't continue this torrid pace in any of their categories. Miggy is on pace for like 69 HR and 255 RBI. :lol

Well, I do think this could be the season Miggy hits 40, so I won't put anything past him, lol.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
Definitely agree with that one. Not only 40+ jacks, but also a very high average... .350ish. The key, of course, will be for Willy and Jacobs to protect him so he can see some good pitches to hit.

Reaction score
Definitely agree with that one. Not only 40+ jacks, but also a very high average... .350ish. The key, of course, will be for Willy and Jacobs to protect him so he can see some good pitches to hit.
Hanley & Uggla on base will help too ;)

But yeah, I'm not going to do anything in the way of putting a limit on what is possible for Cabrera. The kid is a monster and still developing, quite possibly into uncharted territory.

Cabrerafan

Muckdog
Reaction score

I really think Miguel could hit around .350 also this year. Cabs attributed his success thus far on the hitters around him, and therefore says he's getting good pitches to hit. Considering Cabrera hit .339 last season without any protection, if Jacobs and Willingham are threats with the bat, look out.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Also, quick correction, Cabrera can't continue this torrid pace in any of their categories. Miggy is on pace for like 69 HR and 255 RBI. :lol
don't dare him.... :shifty

Boog Sciambi

Muckdog
Reaction score
I didn't say that i was extrapolating the stats for the whole year... i simply stated the stats for the past week, and assessed the team for the first week.

Surely cabs and jacobs will slow down,

When that happens and we're only scoring 2,3,4 runs a game, hopefully the pitching will step up.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
This year 5-2
Last year 5-13

Yea.. week 1 has been fine.

futuremarlinsgm

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm going to make this simple like I predicted before the season started.
The Marlins will be the NL Wild Card winners and will win the NL Pennant.

Top Bottom