What's new

Tickets Price / Attendance question

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ok, got a couple freebees for tonite's game from a friend of a friend who has season tix.. Good tix, too. Section 150 a couple rows back from the dish. Get to watch Mulder and Penny chuck gas all night, should be good.

There's one thing that caught my attention, though. The face on these is $21.50 a piece, of which I'm sure not all goes to the Marlins. I couldn't beleive it. Go to Fenway, Camden, CoPa or most other stadiums and comparable tix would be at least $50 (A friend from Bean-town tells me "wicked" tickets like these at Fenway to go see "Nomaaaar" are $65-$75 a pop).

Now, I know why the prices are so low, but my question is this: Even if the Marlins experience some type of epiphany and sell 30K season tickets next year, aren't they still way below par for revenue due to the low cost of season tix?

This then begs another question: Even with a year or two of 30K season tix sales, will the Marlins still be cash-scarce and unable to compete payroll-wise with mid and upper-echelon teams?

Just wondering. I'm sure the board is filled with members who hold and/or have held season tix. Fill me in on the math, if you would be so kind.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, whenever your team doesn't perform on the field, you can't charge much. Us, the Expos and the Twins charge the least for tickets. The Twins raised their ticket prices this year, but they are still very low. If we built a new stadium and had a . 500 record, maybe we could charge the league average. But not with the intangibles you have to take in with this team.

BTW: Those tickets at Fenway would probably be around $100. Their lowest ticket in the park costs $45, which is the last row in center field.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ok, so given that info and the current state of affairs (Miserable ownership, faulty stadium and lackluster on-field product), am I to believe that getting people out the to the games isn't the be-all end-all answer?

nobody

Muckdog
Reaction score
Getting people out to the games is one of the answers. There are obviously several ways of doing that including (but not limited to) afordable pricing, superior product, promotions, and atmosphere.
It is filled with catch 22s. To make it afordable, you reduce your revenue stream, thereby reducing the resource you can put on the field (especially when attendance remains low.) To take the gamble and put a suprerior, high price product on the field you either need more revenue streams or tremendous attendance to avoid losing your shirt on the deal.
Even if the Marlins doubled their current ticket prices, I think Loria still loses money. The only way we will see a change in the current dillema is if Wayne renegotiates the lease the Marlins have. And either Wayne is not willing, or Loria is not persistant enough.
Wayne has always said that the debt on the stadium is enormous, so why not cut it down by having Loria toss in a chunk of change and become a co-owner. This would help reduce the debt, give the Fish a larger share of revenues generated by the park, and keep the Fish in a central location for fans both to the north and south.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Exactly. Getting zero revenue from parking, concessions, etc, plus having to pay the lease there just kills them.

Pretty good idea there Nobody.

Fish Fillet, it's really not a "faulty stadium". Unless you're talking about the need for a retractable-roof stadium, the place is fine for baseball.

Top Bottom