What's new

Toby Borland

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
We put Toby on the 15 day D.L. in L.A. a while ago for appendicitis, isnt it time he came back? we really really need his help in the bullpen. I feel that when Beckett comes back, with Phelps and Borland in the bullpen will give us a boost in the late innings.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
We put Toby on the 15 day D.L. in L.A. a while ago for appendicitis, isnt it time he came back? we really really need his help in the bullpen. I feel that when Beckett comes back, with Phelps and Borland in the bullpen will give us a boost in the late innings.
he wont be back till the ASB....

he is recooperating from his appendicitis

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
he wont be back till the ASB....

he is recooperating from his appendicitis damn! :banghead

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Something smells fishy about Borland's health, and it's not that he's dead ;)

He was placed on the 15 day DL on May 18th, but I can't find a status anywhere on him. If, in fact, he's out until the midsummer's debacle, why wasn't he moved to the 45 or 60 day DL???

I seem to remember that teams used to have a seldom-used designation for players with serious health issues not related to baseball. Like a long-term medical exclusion that protects the teams' rights while not costing them a roster spot. Maybe someone who knows more about franchise-player transactions could offer some info. Right now it's the only explaination I can come up with.

marlins02

an appendicitis is something he has to recover from. im not an athlete, but when i had mine i was told not to get involved in sports for about 2, 2.5 months. Schilling i guess just recovered quickly. the 60 day DL is really for players that you dont plan on getting back for the year or almost the year. those on the 15 day DL are those that you plan or hope on getting back soon. if they plan on him coming back around the all-star break than they wouldnt place him on the 60 day DL

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Agreed, but he's been out for 25+ days. The Marlins had to of already done something about his situation that isn't being reported. They would face repercussions if they didn't amend his classification off the 15 day DL by now.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
theorioles.com[/QUOTE]DISABLED LISTS

You often may hear of a player being placed on the 15-day disabled list, but there are actually two disabled lists, the 15-day and the 60-day disabled list. The only difference between the two is that a player on the 60-day disabled list will not count against a team's 40-man roster. This allows a team to keep an extra player on the roster while the disabled player remains out.
A player may only be placed on the disabled list for verifiable medical reasons, that is a player must be certified hurt by a medical doctor.
A player can be placed on the disabled list retroactively for as many as 10 days, beginning with the day after the last game he played.
Any player may be moved from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list at any time. A player cannot be moved from the 60-day disabled list to the 15-day disabled list.
A disabled player may be assigned to a Minor League Club for injury rehabilitation for up to 20-days for position players. Pitchers can be granted as many as 30-days of Minor League Rehab.
He's gotta be on the 60 day, or is going to be soon. They can't tie up a roster spot for him.

marlins02

i dont think so man. you can have someone on the 15 day DL for as long as neccessary. all the 15 day DL means is that he has to be out for at least 15 days. In fact i think Beckett has been out longer. i dont remember about Gonzalez last year, maybe someone can tell me, but i think he was on the 15 day DL for the rest of the season.

marlins02

the number that jumps out on me is the 40 man roster. we dont expand to 40 men until September, we plan on getting Borland back by next month.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Beckett has been designated for minor league rehab, that's why he isn't tying up a roster spot.

Maybe Borland has too, it just hasn't hit the wire yet. Appently they can leave them on rehab for up to 30 days without suffering the loss of a roster spot.

Top Bottom