What's new

Tommy Hutton is right...

Trey05Marlins

Muckdog
Reaction score
In yesterdays broadcast he mentioned towards the end of the game that this team just doesn't have the correct makeup.

I agree.

The starting lineup is mostly good. The only holes are CF and RF both of which are starters are on the DL. You could argue that Uggla and Olivo are down on their production but I think they are fine. When de Aza and Hermida are healthy the lineup has everything it needs (speed, power and clutch hitting)

The Bench is a big weak spot for us. Boone has been good. He could cut down on the K's but for now he's been giving us more that what I thought he would. But after that, there is not much. Jason Wood has had a couple big hits but he's been a carreer minor leaguer and he's not a consistent hitter in the big leagues. Treanor has really been struggling. If he could get a few more starts I think he can turn it around a bit but he's still not a guy to use in a pinch-hitting role. Eric Reed is only good for bunting and being a pinch-runner. Don't ask me why his hitting hasn't translated in the big leagues. As good as Amezega has been in CF, I really like him on our bench while getting a start or two each week to stay fresh. The same goes for Borchard. With those two guys you have better options to pinch-hit late in the game if you need speed or a power hitter.

As for the starting rotation, they struggled but they are coming around. When healthy it will be a solid staff. The bullpen has been solid as well. Jorge Julio has been the lone disappointment. I like Owens as our closer. The blown save he had against San Diego wasn't really his fault.

What do you think? agree, disagree?

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm hoping we will be a lot better once half the team return from the DL.

The current team wouldn't get too far

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
So you actually disagree with Tommy and you think this team's make up is just fine?

Or do you mean literal make up? Because I've noticed Cabrera and Uggla have both been sporting that weird ass batman face paint during day games and quite frankly, it looks ridiculous. If thats what you mean then yes, you are right.

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
A lot of the games they've lost is because of the pitching but I think they'll
turn it around. I never thought they'd be scoring as many runs as they
have and the pitching would be what's killed us so far.

EricWiener

Muckdog
Reaction score
The bench is bad because 2 of the 5 guys are starting each night, and that means we have a couple of inferior players taking those bench slots.

The rotation has, at various times, been without Johnson, Nolasco, Sanchez, and Mitre (60% of the expected rotation and one replacement!)

The bullpen has, as a result, been beat to death. Since our bullpen is about 5 guys deep, needing to regularly use 7 guys puts us in a position to lose.

Despite all this, the injury-plagued team is around .500. This team is going to get 5 upgrades without having to trade anyone.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
If by bad makeup it is meant that the team is neither a winning ballclub nor as good as their record indicates then, yes, I agree.

The offense K's way too much, doesn't consistently manufacture runs (they only get them on, over and in when they run up 12 runs) and the rotation, as a whole, is abysmal at the moment.

JJ and Hermida are going to be tremendously important upgrades.

Trey05Marlins

Muckdog
Reaction score
THe lineup has been scoring runs because they hit a lot of homers. I would like to trade Borchard for Hermida. Jeremy won't have as many HR's or RBI's but he will have a better average more runs scored and less strikeouts. Amezega and de Aza aren't too much different but Alejandro is a true CF and Alfredo is not.

With our lineup now we either score a lot of runs (8+) or not very many (3-). I'd rather have more consistent production (4-7) and our pitching would deliver us many wins.

I just looked at our schedule and this is how many times we've scored the following runs

8 or more - 10 times
4 thru 7 - 10 times
3 or less - 10 times

If we were to eliminate some of the low scoring outputs, even if we also eliminated some of our high scoring outputs I think we would have a better record (although we haven't been too good in 1-run games so who knows). I would much rather take...

8 or more - 7 times
4 thru 7 - 16 times
3 or less - 7 times

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
The bench is bad because 2 of the 5 guys are starting each night, and that means we have a couple of inferior players taking those bench slots.

The rotation has, at various times, been without Johnson, Nolasco, Sanchez, and Mitre (60% of the expected rotation and one replacement!)

The bullpen has, as a result, been beat to death. Since our bullpen is about 5 guys deep, needing to regularly use 7 guys puts us in a position to lose.

Despite all this, the injury-plagued team is around .500. This team is going to get 5 upgrades without having to trade anyone.
I don't buy the injury excuse.

It's very likely that Cody and Fredo have outperformed (due 100% to Cody's great play) what De Aza would have done so until Cody got injured the impact of De Aza's injury was minimal. The Ross injury will hurt a lot.

Hermida wasn't even guaranteed a starting spot after going 2-30 (or whatever it was) in ST so the Hermida excuse is nonsense since we don't even know if he would be a starter and if he was a starter we don't know what kind of production we would get out of him since the guy is a big question mark. Last year he didn't get the job done.

On the pitching, the non-regulars have made a grand total of 5 starts which is not out of the ordinary at this stage of the season.

We're 14-16 because the starting pitching has stunk and not because of injuries.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

It's very likely that Cody and Fredo have outperformed (due 100% to Cody's great play) what De Aza would have done so until Cody got injured the impact of De Aza's injury was minimal. The Ross injury will hurt a lot.

Hermida wasn't even guaranteed a starting spot after going 2-30 (or whatever it was) in ST so the Hermida excuse is nonsense since we don't even know if he would be a starter and if he was a starter we don't know what kind of production we would get out of him since the guy is a big question mark. Last year he didn't get the job done.

On the pitching, the non-regulars have made a grand total of 5 starts which is not out of the ordinary at this stage of the season.

We're 14-16 because the starting pitching has stunk and not because of injuries.

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment.

I think you're understating Hermida's importance to the lineup, because even at his worst last season he was still an OBP machine and that's the one thing this offense does not have unless it's hitting (aside from Hammer).

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think you're understating Hermida's importance to the lineup
I agree with that. Borchard has struggled a bit lately which has dragged down his production to the point where Hermida would likely be outperforming him but I still say it's much more about poor starting pitching than anything else.

Reaction score

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment.

I think you're understating Hermida's importance to the lineup, because even at his worst last season he was still an OBP machine and that's the one thing this offense does not have unless it's hitting (aside from Hammer).

I agree, although this line up hasn't slumped yet (knocks on wood), the team's offensive production took a hit last year when Hermida went down in late September.

Reason63

Muckdog
Reaction score
So you actually disagree with Tommy and you think this team's make up is just fine?

Or do you mean literal make up? Because I've noticed Cabrera and Uggla have both been sporting that weird ass batman face paint during day games and quite frankly, it looks ridiculous. If thats what you mean then yes, you are right.

hahahahaha "batman face paint". it does look ridiculous. it looks like hes a complete tard... o well i still love the man for his bat.

Dodge

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hermida could very easily be batting .100 over Borchard - having him back in RF is going to help, guys.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score

What Eric said. As long as we hang around .500 I can stand it. We don't know how De Aza will do long term, but I'd feel better starting Aza in CF and Hermida in right, and getting Borch/Ross/Amezaga back to providing bench depth. And our starting rotation goes without saying.

Reaction score
Other than this team striking out too much at the plate my biggest concern is our pitching staff. Not only are our starters not pitching enough innings, (bullpen leads the league in Innings pitched), they just arent getting it done. Olsen looks like a superstar one minute than he looks like a bum another. DTrain finally has some run support this season but the way he is pitching sooner or later its gonna catch up to him. Sanchez is on the DL cause of shoulder issues. Nolasco is a 5th starter at best. The pitching staff needs some fixing, whether its coaching or just getting guys off the DL (Johnson) this team needs to figure it out before the hole gets too big.

Top Bottom