What's new

Torberg's job in jeopardy?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
creditt: espn.com
# The Florida Marlins are playing well and were helped out when staff ace A.J. Burnett returned to the starting rotation last Wednesday, but there are some internal disputes.

Near the end of spring training, club president David Samson wanted manager Jeff Torborg to fire pitching coach Brad Arnsberg, but Torborg refused. Then a week into the season, when Josh Beckett, who has nine career wins, was critical of Ivan Rodriguez's pitch calling, the assault on Arnsberg continued, and got heated enough so that there was some pressure put on Torborg's job. Stay tuned.

# The Marlins were concerned about Alex (Sea Bass) Gonzalez's attitude entering the regular season, but the immensely talented shortstop has been off to a positive start, in terms of performance and effort.

Perry Hill, one of the best infield coaches anywhere, should get a lion's share of the credit for Gonzalez's success.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Is Sampson crazy. I dont want them to fire Arnesberg. He is a god pitchin coach and has helped Mark redman, Aj, and beckett be better on there mechanics! If AJ didnt have that little turn in hisdelivery he wont have to good of command and speed! We need him. Who would we hire?

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Samson shouldn't fire Brad Arnsberg... he should fire Torborg.. plain and simple..

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hmm, I knew something was going to surface eventually with this group. I say if the team's well under .500 (say 10 games or so) by the All-Star break, Torborg or Arnsberg is a goner.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Arnsberg is fine I suppose.

But he was heavily critized here last year.

Torborg though still sucks as a manager. Just like he always has.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
creditt: espn.com

Perry Hill, one of the best infield coaches anywhere, should get a lion's share of the credit for Gonzalez's success.
Hey Perry, how about spending some time in the batting cage with Hollandsworth too while you're at it?

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here is another article on the Arnesberg situation.

C/O: Miami Herald

PHILADELPHIA ? Pitching coach Brad Arnsberg's job isn't in immediate danger, but that could change.

ESPN analyst Peter Gammons reported that team president David Samson wanted Arnsberg fired during spring training. According to the story, manager Jeff Torborg refused, but remains under pressure to make a switch.
A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed the Marlins have conducted internal discussions about firing Arnsberg, but nothing is imminent. Whether Arnsberg makes it through the season is contingent on players such as A.J. Burnett, Josh Beckett and Brad Penny developing into the stars everyone projects.

It doesn't appear the Marlins are willing to wait much longer.

A 10-year major league veteran, Arnsberg is in his fourth season as a major league pitching coach and second with the Marlins. He was hired in the same capacity with the Expos on July 20, 2000, while Felipe Alou was still manager. When Torborg replaced Alou on May 31, 2001, Arnsberg remained on the staff.

Under Arnsberg, the 2002 Marlins logged a 4.36 team ERA, the second lowest over the past five seasons despite Burnett, Beckett and Penny all missing significant time with injuries. The 1,104 strikeouts were the third-highest total in franchise history.

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really don't think it is a problem with the pitching coach. This team doesn't do much when the opportunity arises and they have a bases loaded situation. It is like every time they play, the starter have to be perfect or otherwise they lose the game. Face it, pitchers are going to make mistakes. But the team has to pick them up. Beckett pitched great last night and he deserved to win. The pitch that was hit for a HR was a curveball that would have bounced off the dirt if Jimmy Rollins hadn't pulled his Tiger Woods' swing. But then, how many runners we left on base? 14!!! We had two bases loaded situations and runners on 3rd and 2nd with one out at one time. We barely got 3 runs out of them! Again, how many ways can you score runs with bases loaded? You hit two long flies and you score at least 2 without a hit. (I know... it's not easy... but I have seen this so many times it plays like a predestined basebal script)

What I do question is Torborg's skills as a manager. At this point I would prefer Boles. He seems to have that peculiar annoying habit of not seizing up the opportunity. Leaving Redmond to bat with one out and runners on 3rd and 2nd with the pitcher coming up, and Redmond slumping, and with other options out of the bench, that really does not win any game. Of course, besides Leyland, this team has never had a great manager. We would have to do with what we have [sighs]

orisha

Muckdog
Reaction score
i tell you one thing though. right about now you would see in every paper how the manager went after the team and questioned their toughness, heart and competitiveness in a team meeting if it was tany perez managing that team.

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think Jim Leyland and Tany Perez were great managers for this team. It was sad what we did to Leyland and unfortunate that the team's situation was pretty rough during Perez' tenure. Boles was not a manager for a contender, he simply lacked the fire. I don't know where to put Tolborg though. But I am not especially crazy about his decisions either. :-|

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
and where does lach rank with all of these managers?

tony perez btw...was not a good manager.

he sucked as skipper in cincinatti and did so in florida also.

leyland obviously was 1.

who is #2?

Foggy Doggy

Muckdog
Reaction score
# 1 Leyland
# 2 Boles
# 3 Lacheman
# 4 Torborg
# 5 Perez
# 6 Boles (2nd stint)

That's my opinion

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
When I was saying that Tany Perez was a good manager I meant that he was really different from Boles and, in a lot of ways, better than him in the sense that he pushed the team for some kind of legitimate winning spark. That the team didn't perform as expected... oh well... hasn't that been the story of our lives? :)

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I liked Tony Perez because he teached players what they are doing wrong and how to improve it plus he spoke spanish and english and communicated better with The latin players.

Boles was very good but wasnt too aggressive. He did not know how to manage somehings but was a verysolid plyaer ( he would do good managing the marlins in 2003)

Torborg is good but needs to improve on when to take out pitchers and when to put them in. He isnt good on putting players in and out. He keeps on putting Vlad and Armando and both of them always blow leads, every single time!

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
1: Leyland (Will always be)
2: Boles (Father of this team)
3: Lacheman (Pretty solid)
4: Torborg (25-75)
5: Perez (zero.. worst)

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
if he fires Torberg... :(

he should go out and hire Bobby Valientine
that actually would not be a bad idea...

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
1: Leyland (Will always be)
2: Boles (Father of this team)
3: Lacheman (Pretty solid)
4: Torborg (25-75)
5: Perez (zero.. worst)
I tend to agree with this assesment.

Leyland is the best manager in Marlin history so far.

But...he succeeded only with talent around him, he always was a better skipper with good talent surronding him and 97 validated it.

Boles and Lach I think you could toss back and forth...Lach did a 'decent' job as the first skipper of this team...but Boles did an even better job, especially in his first stint paving the way for Leyland....Boles' second stint was not as successful granted, but the situation had changed, the Marlins were deconstructing them team instead of constructing it. If the front office had allowed him to continue to develop the young talent into a winner than things would of been great. Of course when he was fired, I thought the Marlins were on the cusp of winning consistently. Bringing along Tony Perez was simply a PR move. He sucks as a manager. He knows hitting and serves well as a roving hitting instructor, special assistant to the GM....but as far as managing, he sucks. That has been proven twice now. Then bringing in Torborg was only because Loria had ties to him. Torborg has never been a good let alone great manager....See his previous experience (White Sox, Chicago; Metropolitions, New York)

I await the day when the Marlins bring in that skipper who either is a young and upcoming mind in baseball or a proven winner. Nothing else will be acceptable if you want to move forward.

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
I would like to see a Valentine/Bowa type of manager...Fiery, light a match under his players, and take no crap

Top Bottom