What's new

Torberg's job in jeopardy?

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would like to see a Valentine/Bowa type of manager...Fiery, light a match under his players, and take no crap
I wish.......

orisha

Muckdog
Reaction score
I only brought out tany perez because of his no b.s. approach to managing. I don't think he's a good manager, but he did know how to get on the players cases and and let them know when they weren't playing as expected.

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
My point exactly. I don't consider tany perez a great manager since his numbers speak otherwise. But he was different in that he simply told his players what they were doing wrong with no bs.

The essential problem with the way torlborg manages is his timing. Sometimes he puts a pitcher who you can perfectly see he is tiring already to pitch the 7th or 8th simply because he has been pitching good. However, in that previous inning, he might have given up 1 run, a couple of walks, and escape from a jam thanks to a double play. Then he brings him again the next inning and bye-bye lead and bye-bye game. Also, I see Alamanza as a situational lefty, maybe to pitch against lefties although I don't know his numbers from the top of my head right now. He leaves him there for an entire inning sometimes when we all know he either strikes out everyone, or walks the bases loaded, or gives up 3 hrs.

I guess my problem with torlborg is an issue of second-guessing.

Chatty

Muckdog
Reaction score
I was not impressed when Tony Perez was the manager because he stopped our running game almost completely. That is one of the main aspects of this team that they can run whenever they want and it makes the pitchers very nervous. I like Torberg. He has a good relationship with the players. The one thing I did not like last year but he seems to be correcting it this year is giving his bench a chance to play more. It is important to have all players swing the bat as otherwise they lose their timing. Just look at Redmond. Last year he hit so well for us when he caught but so far this year he just strikes out. He needs more playing time but to be honest I have more confidence when Pudge is catching. As far as Leyland goes I read an article that said that yes he was a very good manager when he managed a winning team (1997) but did nothing after he left us for Colorado. Anybody can manage a real good hitting team. I did like Boles very much. I thought he did a great job with all the young players we had in 1998 but the problem with him was that he didn't stick up for his team enough. Too soft spoken. Sometimes a manager does have to fight for his team.

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
Leyland did nothing for Colorado after what he went through with the Marlins in 1998. Seeing his team being sold in pieces after the World Series and replaced with inexperienced players, and then losing 108 games really took his toll on Leyland. I read an article after he decided to retire saying that that year took away the fire to manage in him.

However, he managed the Pirates from 1986 to 1996 and took them 3 times in a row to the playoffs, 1990 to 1992. He lost to the Reds in 1990 and then 2 straight times to the Braves. In those 3 years his team won 90+ games. His career stats are 14 years, 2200 games, 1069 wins and 1131 loses.

Rene Lachemann never had a winning record and none of his teams won more than 75 games, expect the 1982 Mariners who won 76 and lost 86. Overall, he managed for 8 years, 987 games, 428 wins and 559 loses.

Boles also never had a winning record. He managed for 4 years, 446 games, 205 wins and 241 loses, all with the Marlins.

Tany Perez was manager only 2 years and his record is not really indicative of either a bad manager or a good manager. 74 wins and 84 loses.

Torborg is another story. He had 2 years with a winning record with Chicago (White Sox). In 1990 his team went 94 and 68, and the following year 87 and 75. Overall, has being a manager for 10 years, 1314 games, 618 wins and 696 loses (not counting 2003).

So, these are the results:

1. Jim Leyland
2. Jeff Torborg
3. John Boles
4. Rene Lachemann
5. Tany Perez

marlins4eva

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really hope Torborg gets fired. He is in over his head. I really hate how he abuses the young pitching staff (esp. AJ). They're all going to blow their arms!

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think the Marlins need someone with intensity, someone who won't take any crap. That's what this team needs, not Torborg who's so soft on players, "I mean today's lost was bad but there were some positives to our lost and tomorrow we have a better chance with AJ on the mound. He can give us 7+ innings and that's what the bullpen needs..." I want someone like Lou Piniella.. that's a guy with intensity!

Bobby V is not a bad idea... :mischief2

Top Bottom