What's new

Torborg = No Emotion, No Fire

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
While watching the clips on last night's SportCenter of Tony LaRussa & Lloyd McClendon getting ejected - I got to wondering if Torborg has ever been while managing the Marlins?

Ross do you have any idea???

I love when a manager shows some life and will stand up for his team. Fiery managers like Piniella, Bowa and LaRussa bring a passion to their squad. It's seems to me that Torborg and the Marlins lack passion.

Who motivates this team? I wish Pudge or Lowell would step up and call a players only meeting to get the team focused and fired up. It seems like Dontrelle brought some emotion to the mound last night. I hope it carrries over this evening.

:hat

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Torborg was tossed last year atleast twice...

on the baseball tonight commercials they show him being tossed too......

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
Torborg was tossed last year atleast twice...

on the baseball tonight commercials they show him being tossed too......
yea ... he got toss in Home Opener last year when Lowell HR was fair than changed foul vs the Expos

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Torborg was ejected three times last year- April 5, April 8, June 18. LaRussa was also ejected three times. McClendon was ejected 4 times. Bobby Cox led the league with 5.

jonnylons

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think a lot of us are itching to fire Torborg. I think there is reason to do so (bad subbing...) but the reasons to do so wont necessarily be satisfied. In other words, I dont think firing T will all of a sudden get this team back on track. Perhaps we are only as good as we are right now, I know I am lowering my expectations to a .500 team right now. We lost too many key starters and our offense is too anemic at this point to expect more. Those two factors, I feel, cannot be blamed on Torborg. Redman was bad luck, Beckett and Burnett both have varying levels of use (one 'babied' by some observations, the other overused) so their injuries may have other contributing factors that expand far beyond how T uses them.

I think Torborg's managing style is certainly one not visible with passion and fire. He can be those things at times, but he seems to be more even-keeled, 'awe-shucks'-like. This cannot be used to evaluate whether or not we should fire Torborg. If we do make a change, it will have more to do with how the Marlins are percieved by the fans - due to losing - than the overall effectiveness of Torborg. Having said that, I think a change is needed if we continue to lose games and fall further out of the race. The Braves seem to be doing what they did last year - I dont get it.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Braves running away with the division because:
  • 3rd in hitting
  • Opponents are batting .256
  • Team ERA: 4.33
  • John Smoltz
  • RISP

jonnylons

Muckdog
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am aware of that. I think my 'I dont get it' is more out of frustration than anything. I cant stand the Braves...arrggghh!! :banghead

Why wont they just lose?

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Johnny -

Good to see you posting here. I've seen your posts on the ESPN board and you seem to be a reasonable, well-informed fan.

I look forward to seeing more of your insights.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Braves running away with the division because:
  • 3rd in hitting

• Opponents are batting .256

• Team ERA: 4.33

• John Smoltz

• RISP

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
Torborg has no clue on how to manage a roster or how to manage a winning team.

See numerous posts I have made since March 2002

Top Bottom