What's new

Torre Fired?!

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_ros...l/20030401.html

Managers on the "Hot Seat" as reported by Ken Rosenthal...

Joe Torre, Yankees

You can't rule it out. Owner George Steinbrenner would invite a torrent of criticism if he dumped Torre at midseason, but The Boss is reverting to his old, irrational ways.

The curse will strike: The only possibility is July 19. That's Old Timers' Day, the setting for past managerial shenanigans under Steinbrenner.

Likely replacement: Rudy Giuliani.

Riiiight. Either Giuliani, or Billy Crystal. :mischief

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Its hard to tell how good of a manager Torre is. I mean a lot of guys could do that well when youre given a $150 million payroll every year and given anything you need. He was not that good of a manager when he was with the Cards and Mets.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Likely replacement: Rudy Giuliani.

Maybe he'll bring back Billy Martin?

He has before!!! :rolleyes: Oh no no no...not Billy Martin. :eek: .

If torre is fired the Yanks wont be the same. Torre is like the best manager in baseball right now. They cant fire him!

cgator

Muckdog
Reaction score
I believe Torre is a very good manager. Yes, he has the resources surrounding him. But how many times have you seen teams go after several big stars, only to have their plan fall apart due to all the personality conflicts. I think it is much harder to keep multiple stars in line. Torre has been able to weather the storms, George, and meld all those conflicting egos into a cohesive unit. That takes a good manager.

later.........

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Torre also does a good job of "handling" the media - a critical skill here in NY. Right, Bobby V? :mischief2

Top Bottom