What's new

Trade rumors

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know alot of you guys don't agree with me on this but Beltran would be a great get by the Marlins. The Royals are asking for a young 3B, 2B or CF. Would I give up a Cabrera and a Pierre? tough...but I'm going to make a statement and say YES. Lowell could resign and Beltran would be a Marlin for this year and next. This team needs to make a statement to there fans and players. Well the rumor is Baltimore is drooling to get this guy out of KC. Could the Marlins steal another top player from the Orioles (Pudge in offseason was the first)? I hope so IMO.

The Cubs could deal double A (Alfonseca) to get a 3B?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-sp...spt-csep13.html

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
if Lowell stays(gets resigned), Castillo resigns next year, as well as some other pieces, I am for it...

otherwise

NO

:angry

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
i assume that young thirdbaseman would be cabrera?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i assume that young thirdbaseman would be cabrera?
yup

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think re-signing Lowell and Castillo can be done. The deal would have to be back loaded so the Marlins could clear Hampton(next year) and Pudge(two years) contracts. :hat

jonnylons

Muckdog
Reaction score
I like Beltran, but I am not totally sold on him. Trading away Cabrera would be a mistake in my mind - this guy is one of the best young hitters in the game. He could just as easily come up and play LF for us with Lowell re-signed at 3B, Pierre in CF and Encarnacion in RF (who is going to make a move this season to be among best RF in game, I feel it coming...). Also, we may go out and sign Vlad Guerrero - dont laugh, it may happen and Pudge may stick around after this season. Keep Cabby for insurance.

I think this would be a bold statement though, perhaps too bold. The Marlins are not going to contend this year, at least I have modified my expectations. We lost Burnett for this year and most likely next. Penny and Beckett have yet to catch fire meet my expectations of where they should be for themselves and for us to win. Trading Pierre and Cabrera is too rich for my tastes and does not gurantee us future success with Beltran who could get injured again. I say no to this deal. Forgive my rambling.... :blink:

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I wouldnt trade Cabrera yet untill i see if he can play in the big leagues, even though beltran would be very good for us i wouldnt do the deal yet...

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
If we keep Lowell and trade Lee then Cabrera will be forced to play LF. Adrian will probably replace Lee. Then where will stokes play?

This of course is assuming Sokes and Gonzalez will reach their full pontential.

Does this mean Encarnicion will have to go too?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Stokes or Adrian would be trade bait.....

niether can play OF, although Stokes has tried(got hurt)....

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why in the name of God would you guys want to trade away Cabrera, Adrian and Stokes when we're faced over the next two years having to replace so many players due to free agency? The last guy, the absolute last guy you want to trade is Cabrera, to do so would just be suicidal. Besides, what are you going get for him, a journeyman and AA prospect not nearly as good as he is already?

As of this writing Cabrera is batting .397 with 7 hrs, 58 hits, 15 doubles and a whopping 58 rbi. Sound like a guy you really wanna trade? The Mudcats are leading their league, the kids down there are learning how it feels to be WINNERS, a lesson they'll need when the Marlins retool. I finally figured out why more of these guys aren't moving up to AAA, its because they're winning in AA, together, and AAA is so depleted they are having trouble competing night after night.

The economics of a small market franchise like the Marlins is to NOT trade away future starters tearing up the minor leagues. They are guys we need (@ $300,000 a year when they come up) to offset say a $6 million Castillo. Things will be different a few years from now when all the old big deals (Wilson, Johnson, Hampton and to a lesser extent Pudge) wind down. I am of the school that dealin' Dave didn't do anywhere near the job he's alleged to have done, but that's a whole other subject for another day. If the Marlins can get ticket sales up to say 25,000 per game (by 2005 if we can get even half a break from the Miami media scum) we'll be able to better afford to keep players a bit longer. Until then we need a steady stream of young players available to fill gaps created by economically mandated trades.

You need to trade from strength. You don't trade a Cabrera because he just won't bring enough value. You trade a Lowell because he could bring you two or three quality AA-AAA guys on the verge of starting. FOR THE RECORD I DON'T WANT TO TRADE LOWELL. I USE HIM AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY.

So let's can this talk of trading guys like Cabrera. We are doomed if we do.

jonnylons

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins 2003, you nailed it. I was trying to say that, but obviously you did a much better job than I could! I agree with you all the way on this one.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really would like to see Lowell back with Fish.I don't mind seeing Castillo go and it will be easier to find a servicible 2nd basement (Don't we have some one in AAA that people were talking about?).Trade Lee for something even if is a bar of soap.The Fish need to resign Encarnancion and they should think about playing cabrera in LF or just put him back to SS.Bring up Adrian Gonzales to play 1b to fill in for D.Lee.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
the 2nd baseman who may someday replace Castillo is Jesus Madrano...

I also hope Mikey Lowell is back next year and for many years to come...

start playing Cabs in LF.......

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
The economics of a small market franchise like the Marlins is to NOT trade away future starters tearing up the minor leagues.
Great post for the most part....

However one thing to disagree.....

MIAMI IS NOT A SMALL MARKET!!!!!!!!!

THIS EXCUSE ONLY WORKS IF YOU TRULY PLAY IN A SMALL MARKET. THIS EXCUSE WOULD WORK FOR KANSAS CITY, NOT FLORIDA.

Thank you.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's a small market in terms of baseball fan support. Until it proves otherwise.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
But its not a small market in terms of economics.....

You cannot simply play the small market card and use that as your excuse for all....

Miami is not a small market...there are plenty of people in that metropolitian area to draw from...

Draw them.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
IMHO - The revenues generated by local television/radio contracts, the number of corporate headquarters located in the area and the lack of stadium revenues qualifies Miami as a small market town.

jonnylons

Muckdog
Reaction score
But its not a small market in terms of economics.....

You cannot simply play the small market card and use that as your excuse for all....

Miami is not a small market...there are plenty of people in that metropolitian area to draw from...

Draw them.
I assume that since you are 'Das Texan' that you live in Texas and probably dont know what life is like in Miami, but you know what they say about assuming... :cool

Anyway, Miami should be classified as 'a large market that acts like a small market'. It is true that there are plenty of people to draw a fan base from, but in terms of economics, the cost of living is so high that the average person cannot afford to go to games (or at least as often as a franchise would like). That factor is compounded by other factors - such as a possible rain-out (I think this reason is BS, but has to be considered) as well as a perception that the organization is cheap, the perception that the team is bad, and the perception that is largely due to a negative media with a vendetta. It is a big mess that most fans probably just elect to not be a part of - most are still stinging from the damage that Huizenga inflicted back in '97. These are all contributing factors that go into the purchase of a ticket.

Top Bottom