What's new

Turf installation

THRILLHO

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Anybody know when the new synthetic surface is going in? @rmc523 you were the stalker last year right? Think you can hop a few fences for us?

Michael

Jumbo Shrimp
VIP
Reaction score
I would have to hope they're doing it soon but since it is synthetic, they could probably wait until about a month, maybe even less before the season starts.

Does anyone know what this will do for ground balls? Will it be a faster surface?

THRILLHO

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I would have to hope they're doing it soon but since it is synthetic, they could probably wait until about a month, maybe even less before the season starts.

Does anyone know what this will do for ground balls? Will it be a faster surface?
Not sure about how fast the ball plays compared to grass. The new playing surfaces are more like grass which really also plays fast.
I’m curious how the surface will affect the temperature on the field level. If temperatures are higher due to the conductivity of heat it would probably lead to fewer open roof games which I know a lot of people here would be in favor of.

Michael

Jumbo Shrimp
VIP
Reaction score
I’m curious how the surface will affect the temperature on the field level. If temperatures are higher due to the conductivity of heat it would probably lead to fewer open roof games which I know a lot of people here would be in favor of.
Not like there are that many anyways.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Anybody know when the new synthetic surface is going in? @rmc523 you were the stalker last year right? Think you can hop a few fences for us?
I know they've been installing the home run thing outside. But it's behind the massive fence now. Same goes for the windows to see in - can't get close like last year. They likely have to finish the outfield wall modifications before they worry about installing the turf.

Not sure about how fast the ball plays compared to grass. The new playing surfaces are more like grass which really also plays fast.
I don't know if they've been able to fix that, but I know those turf fields can get really hot especially in summer.

THRILLHO

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Arizona went to an artificial surface last year. I wonder if that impacted their roof closures.

Reaction score
Unless they put the turf on the roof rails, I can't see the turf affecting the roof.
It's my understanding they left the roof open as much as possible -- even when they expected to close it -- in order to keep the grass as alive as possible. So on those 100-degree day games and humid night games where they're planning on closing it anyway, they'll probably just leave it closed all day.

Makes you wonder how that might impact the offense without all that humidity soaking the balls and bats and so on. Who knows?

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
It's my understanding they left the roof open as much as possible -- even when they expected to close it -- in order to keep the grass as alive as possible. So on those 100-degree day games and humid night games where they're planning on closing it anyway, they'll probably just leave it closed all day.

Makes you wonder how that might impact the offense without all that humidity soaking the balls and bats and so on. Who knows?
I was making a joke. I know they left the roof open for the grass to grow.

THRILLHO

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Unless they put the turf on the roof rails, I can't see the turf affecting the roof.
I’m not a scientist so I apologize for any foolish question. I was just pondering the possibility that a synthetic material would conduct heat in a way that made the air temperature hotter at field level than if said playing surface were natural grass.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I’m not a scientist so I apologize for any foolish question. I was just pondering the possibility that a synthetic material would conduct heat in a way that made the air temperature hotter at field level than if said playing surface were natural grass.
Oh no you're 100% right, I was just being sarcastic like 90% of the posts here.

I think I said in the original turf thread that while I can't comment on what the Marlins are installing, but I know turf fields I've been on or played on can get very hot in the summer time especially (like 10-15 degrees hotter even to where it'll start to melt your shoes), so it definitely could mean they'd close the roof more - you wouldn't need it open to grow the grass anymore.

I could see them leaving it closed during the day to keep it cool/out of sun and then opening it at game time should they want an open-air game. That way the players wouldn't be roasting down there.

They just installed turf fields at the local park, but I noticed they used a different infill then I've seen before. In the past I've only ever seen small black rubber pellets as infill, but here they used slightly larger, green spheres as infill. So I wonder if that's a better alternative to the black pellets at keeping heat in check. They just finished it a few weeks ago, so I haven't been there in the heat of summer to be able to comment.

THRILLHO

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Normally I can pick up on the sarcasm. I failed this time.

el_gmac

I don't like Mike Hill and Jeter
VIP
Reaction score
this is the company that did the diamond back turf. I wonder if the marlins will be using the same

Latest posts

Top Bottom