What's new

UM-Dolphin Stadium Update

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
good orange bowl, though I love it, is a dump

Its a dump yes, but it still the orange bowl. I think its a big mistake to move the team so far away from campus.

fauowls44

Muckdog
Reaction score
Tear it down already. From what i've read the city's offer is about $100-$150 million toward renovations. By most accounts it will take double that to propertly renovate the OB. In fact, according to the Herald, the current offer would limit renovations of new restrooms and concession areas to the south side of the building. There is absolutely no good reason to spend that kind of money and do half of a job. UM moving to DS is a win-win for all involved. The university stands to make millions more each season playing there, Dolphin Stadium gets another high profile tenant, and the move helps the Marlins, the city, and county to finally resolve the Marlins stadium deal.

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I still love going to Um games in the OB because of the noise and rattling. That is all is has-the history and tradition and big games are just memories and memories won't go away. The stadium is a dump and all the tradition does nothing to impress this age of recruits. They are impressed by S. Florida and a winning tradition and walking into a state of the art stadium with their pictures on the scoreboard. The OB no longer helps in recruiting and making money for the U and in the competitive world of college athletics, since an on campus stadium is an impossibility, the move is necessary for the U for the extra money as well as the impact on recruiting.
I am a Gator grad, but no one loves the canes more than me, and while you cannot compete with a big state school when it comes to money and campus feel, the move to DS is necessary. The old bowl could only compete if it was torn down and rebuilt, and that won't happen.

The students will find a way, the school will bus them etc., because for many games, there are so few students going anyway.

Now, the city of miami can use the money for the new Marlin stadium.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think people should realize that Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee and Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville have been torn down in sections and rebuilt over the years. The Orange Bowl is still pretty much the same base structure it was in the 1940's-1950's.

Even the Gator Bowl was torn down and rebuilt as Jacksonville Municipal Stadium (formerly Alltel Stadium) for the Jaguars.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Canes should build an on campus stadium. They have the resources to do it. What's the stumbling block for an on campus stadium? Is it Coral Gables zoning or UM's cheapness?

MrAndMrsFish

Mr. Minor League
Reaction score
The Canes should build an on campus stadium. They have the resources to do it. What's the stumbling block for an on campus stadium? Is it Coral Gables zoning or UM's cheapness?

a mixture of both...but more twords Coral Gables not wanting a stadium in their city

Trey05Marlins

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's a shame Miami can't get the best of both worlds. The Orange Bowl is part of Hurricanes Football and while I think change is good, it would be a shame to see the OB torn down, even if it results in the site becoming the new stadium for the Fish. Unfortunately the county and city just don't have enough money to give some to the 'Canes for OB renovations. But the alternative of cutting Marlins funding to help renovate the OB, leads me to be in favor of da 'U' moving to Dolphin Stadium.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
Resources? I think many people read too much into UM's designation as a private school. In college sports, state schools are, by far, the fat cats. They're the ones with massive athletic budgets. They're the ones who can afford to spend money on new facilities and high-priced personnel.

Very rarely will you hear about a private school being a major player in multiple sports. Private schools just don't have the government-subsidized budgets to invest heavily in athletics. Instead, they have to cater to those who pay tuition, while remaining mindful of the fact that spending heavily on athletics will make the school less competitive from a cost perspective.

Anyway, to answer your question, I doubt a privately-financed football stadium would be feasible, particularly if it's located in CG.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
UM and DS seem to be working on a lease-term (Wayne wants 5 years, UM wants 20 years) and revenue sharing (Wayne wants more to DS, UM wants a more even split).....seems like a deal should be done soon.

Why build a football stadium when their is a modern, state-of-the-art NFL facility in town that is available?

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
That lease better be extremely long.

This is about the only time UM will have leverage in negotiations with Wayne. Once they move out, the OB will be gone.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score

This is about the only time UM will have leverage in negotiations with Wayne. Once they move out, the OB will be gone.
Agreed :thumbup

Not only does this help the Canes, but the rest of the ACC and any opponents the Canes host. More money for all if it happens.

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score

Agreed :thumbup

Not only does this help the Canes, but the rest of the ACC and any opponents the Canes host. More money for all if it happens.
Cape, your assessment is correct. The holdup is Wayne wanting more money from revenue derived from seat licenses etc. as well as the issue of the length of the deal. We all know what happens if you let Wayne dictate the terms. I believe the UM reps are a lot smarter than John Henry, who let Wayne intimidate him-ahh, thats another thread but it does bring back memories of Wayne publicly insulting John Henry as he was wavering on the Marlin purchase.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Shalala vs. Wayne....two of my favorite villains.

Anyone want some popcorn?

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
Resources? I think many people read too much into UM's designation as a private school. In college sports, state schools are, by far, the fat cats. They're the ones with massive athletic budgets. They're the ones who can afford to spend money on new facilities and high-priced personnel.

Very rarely will you hear about a private school being a major player in multiple sports. Private schools just don't have the government-subsidized budgets to invest heavily in athletics. Instead, they have to cater to those who pay tuition, while remaining mindful of the fact that spending heavily on athletics will make the school less competitive from a cost perspective.

Anyway, to answer your question, I doubt a privately-financed football stadium would be feasible, particularly if it's located in CG.

What would be the cost of a 50k capacity on campus stadium? Maybe $250 or $300 million?

What's room & board at UM nowadays? How many students at UM? If you bump up tuition and room & board by a couple of percentage points how much would you collect a year? Ballpark around $20 million a year. Add luxury boxes, premium seating, naming rights, advertising, etc. to the $20 million and UM can well afford to pay for their own stadium.

I would prefer if UM students and UM football fans pay for the stadium as opposed to people who will never go to one of the six football games a year. As a city resident that the city would even consider renovating the OB makes me fume.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
UM would need a much larger endowment to justify spending 300 million on a stadium.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
What would be the cost of a 50k capacity on campus stadium? Maybe $250 or $300 million?

What's room & board at UM nowadays? How many students at UM? If you bump up tuition and room & board by a couple of percentage points how much would you collect a year? Ballpark around $20 million a year. Add luxury boxes, premium seating, naming rights, advertising, etc. to the $20 million and UM can well afford to pay for their own stadium.

I would prefer if UM students and UM football fans pay for the stadium as opposed to people who will never go to one of the six football games a year. As a city resident that the city would even consider renovating the OB makes me fume.
In that case, you must be opposed to the idea of public financing of stadiums for privately-owned teams like the Marlins.

The Hurricanes are South Florida's college football team. Whether it belongs to a university, or whether that university is public or private, is irrelevant.

In fact, as the county's second-largest non-governmental employer, one would think the University of Miami would have a much better case for public support than Jeffrey Loria.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score

In that case, you must be opposed to the idea of public financing of stadiums for privately-owned teams like the Marlins.

The Hurricanes are South Florida's college football team. Whether it belongs to a university, or whether that university is public or private, is irrelevant.

In fact, as the county's second-largest non-governmental employer, one would think the University of Miami would have a much better case for public support than Jeffrey Loria.

The ratio of fans that will attend Marlins games compared to UM games must be around 10:1 or something like that and I'm no fan of Loria but he's pledged $212 million (plus overruns) for the stadium while UM is unwilling to make firm commitments.

UM would need a much larger endowment to justify spending 300 million on a stadium.
What's does the endowment have to do with raising stadium money via increases in student fees and monies collected from luxury boxes, premium seating, advertising, etc?

Top Bottom